Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2022, 04:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)

In the latest Empire magazine former Doctor Who star Peter Capaldi talks about his love of Hammer Films.

"I would have liked Dracula A.D.1972 (on my wall as a poster) which is my favourite. It's so misjudged in so many ways. It's so brilliant. They try to evoke 70's glam culture in a Tommy Steele kinda way. However it must be said that Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing do the business. When i left Doctor Who, Mark Gatiss bought me the film soundtrack on vinyl"

And that was all it took to make me watch a classic Hammer film again. A film i only watched back in October, because like Peter, i love Dracula A.D. 1972.
This is on my watchlist for tonight and Satanic Rites once I have watch Scars of Dracula.
Old 15th March 2022, 04:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
This is on my watchlist for tonight and Satanic Rites once I have watch Scars of Dracula.
The Premium Collection Blu's of the films are rather lovely.
Old 15th March 2022, 05:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Taste The Blood Of Dracula. 1970.

Three respectable Englishmen resurrect the Count with the help of a disciple, when his disciple is killed, Count Dracula seeks revenge.

I'm unsure how long after the events of the previous film this one is set, it does start where Taste The Blood Of Dracula finishes and we are introduced to a peddler named Weller played by Roy Kinnear who witnessed the demise of Dracula and gathers his cloak, clasp, ring and Blood.

Geoffrey Keen (James Bond franchise), Peter Sallis (Last of the Summer Wine), and John Carson (Plague of Zombies and Captain Cronos) play the rich gentlemen who look for excitement and come across Lord Courtley played brilliantly by Ralph Bates (Fear in The Night) to perform a black mass and that's when all hell breaks loose.

Even though Roy Kinnear doesn't have a big part, he is able to deliver his dialogue with great fear explaining what Courtley wants and who it belongs to and what it may be used for. The church used does have the dark Gothic feel with great cinematography and moody light, even outside in the dark you can feel the gloomy atmosphere. Christopher Lee seems more frightening in this one than the previous films and good effects for when his blood meets fresh blood in a glass. May not be my favourite in the franchise due to the ending but still entertaining.

Attachment 239448
Along with (Horror of) Dracula (1958) this is my favourite Dracula film. Not just Hammer but of any Dracula film, vampire film in fact.

I love how it basically shows that distinguished Victorian gentlemen can be just as nasty and corrupt (If not more so) than a bloodsucking creature of the night. In fact i'd argue that Keen is the real monster in the film and not Dracula.
Old 15th March 2022, 05:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
The Premium Collection Blu's of the films are rather lovely.
They certainly are, Satanic was one of those films that I never saw till they got released on Premium and was amazing just to see it with good picture quality and sound.
Old 15th March 2022, 05:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Along with (Horror of) Dracula (1958) this is my favourite Dracula film. Not just Hammer but of any Dracula film, vampire film in fact.

I love how it basically shows that distinguished Victorian gentlemen can be just as nasty and corrupt (If not more so) than a bloodsucking creature of the night. In fact i'd argue that Keen is the real monster in the film and not Dracula.
Keen seemed to be the lead man in "The Circle" and needed a good punch in the face, Sallis seemed a bit whimpish and John Carson is the man in the middle, yeah he towers over the other two.
Old 15th March 2022, 06:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scars Of Dracula. 1970.

A young man takes shelter in Castle Dracula only to fall victim, his brother goes in search of him which leads him to the last place he was close to.

Another one that can be a hit or a miss for me, Dennis Waterman plays the unlikely hero who goes in search of his brother and winds up at the castle of Dracula. Klove returns from Dracula Prince of Darkness this time played by Patrick Troughton who looks like a hobo, yet still does bring a sense of loyalty to his master.

Christopher Lee dons the fangs and cloak after being resurrected by a bat dripping blood over him and the evil and carnage begin again. Rpy Ward Baker takes over the directors chair and is carrying on the dark Gothic atmosphere around Castle Dracula. There was a disruption with Hammer founder and budget was cut which would explain the weird slow flying bat in the film, didn't stop Dracula being a bit more violent with stabbing someone.

This does a have good pace and Dracula being a bit more talkative in this one than the previous films or seems that way. There is the atmospheric background score does blend in well with this instalment of the Dracula movies and always have great cinematography.

MV5BNjI0OWY0ZWYtOTU0Yy00OTVhLWI0ZTQtNjU5NDNmM2ZjODI1L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
Old 15th March 2022, 08:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dracula A.D. 1972.

In 1872, Professor Lawrence Van Helsing destroyed Dracula, a young disciple collects Dracula's ashes and ring. 100 years later the disciple wants to resurrect his master for revenge on Van Helsing bloodline.

The pre-credits sequence was a great set up, Van Helsing and Dracula having a battle on a carriage, Dracula dies then Lawrence dies knowing he has ended the evil that reigned in the area of London. Christopher Lee is more menacing than before, he does don the red contact lenses briefly, his introduction from being resurrected and how he delivers his lines gave me chills when I first saw this.

Give Peter Cushing respect for coming back to the franchise after the death of his wife and still able to pack a punch and be thrown about, playing a anthropologist isn't quite quick off the ball with this when hos granddaughter played by Stephanie Beacham mentions Johnny Alucard.

This does seem centred around young group of people performing a black mass in a old church which has the same Gothic dark atmosphere as Taste The Blood Of Dracula, nobody seems to over act or outshine anyone. The background score right at the start reminds us this is still a Hammer Horror and played out in parts of the film with a modern day score of 70s music.

s-l300.jpg
Old 15th March 2022, 10:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Satanic Rites Of Dracula. 1973.

Inspector Murray of Scotland Yard heading up a secret service operation surrounding a house and it's visitors, so they call in Lorimer Van Helsing for assistance.

Set in 1974, Michael Coles returns as the Inspector from the previous film looking for help which involves a cult in a somewhat present day doomsday annihilation with a plague and Peter Cushing with his granddaughter Jessica played by Joanna Lumley try to find the answers.

I'm not sure if I missed something in this, on the site of St Barphol church where Dracula was resurrected and died has a building etc, how did Dracula manage to come back? This did have some great acting from Peter Cushing and Freddie Jones, you can see the tension between them both in finding out what one is working on and the other trying to find the answer.

Was unsure about Joanna Lumley playing Jessica but she did manage to do a great part and slowly understanding what she went through and able to be a assistant to her grandfather. Christopher Lee marks the end of a era with the character and with Dracula and Van Helsing in the office had a great build up of suspense and tension. May not be the best film to end the Dracula saga but certainly enjoyable.

The_Satanic_Rites_of_Dracula_poster.jpg
Old 15th March 2022, 11:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I, Monster. 1971.

A doctor researching on a new drug tries it on himself and becomes a entirely different person/

Amicus version of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with Christopher Lee as the eccentric psychologist who seems mild until he transforms into the evil persona and is able to bring a dark side to the screen. teamed with Peter Cushing as a associate and familiar with his work tries to help but there is only one way to stop the evil.

Although Cushing's role seems small he is able to bring a lot of strength with has character and acting and never outshines anyone. This may not be a classic tale of Jekyll and Hyde but it is very entertaining with the use of bright colours and dark with great cinematography, thanks again for this one Dem.

MV5BMTIzNzkzODQ1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzI2NjcyMQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 15th March 2022, 11:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scream (2022)

Those eyebrows must look huge on the big screen.
Plus points ...
Best CGI fire I've seen yet.

Simultaneously the worst film of the decade and the best film I've seen this week
Some familiar faces put a thing to rest ... ?
I will say I called it 10 minutes in (well ...)
Next!!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!