Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179852Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2022, 05:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Weekend At Bernie's. 1989.

Two office staff Larry and Richard try to pretend that their murdered employer is really alive, leading the hitman to attempt to track him down to finish him off.

Who ever said you can't have fun with the dead is wrong, Andrew McCarthy and Jonathan Silverman manage to pull it off with Terry Kiser and with Ted Kotcheff directing them in this 80s comedy. It is something that would never actually work but the black humour makes it funny. Don Calfa who plays the rusty hitman brings more laughter to the screen when he thinks his intended target is still alive and well. Brilliant Summer film to watch.

Weekend_at_Bernies.jpg
Old 12th July 2022, 06:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Dementer (2019)

I'm presuming leaving a bloody cows heart under the bed of a patient with downs syndrome isn't generally in the job description of a care home carer.

Not your typical Occult thriller, in fact quite original really, i'm not sure how much of this was scripted or was filmed simply with actors ad libbing life in a care home but on the whole this was an interesting experience with chaotic Occult flashbacks that were mirrored in the finale.
Old 12th July 2022, 06:32 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Dementer (2019)

I'm presuming leaving a bloody cows heart under the bed of a patient with downs syndrome isn't generally in the job description of a care home carer.

Not your typical Occult thriller, in fact quite original really, i'm not sure how much of this was scripted or was filmed simply with actors ad libbing life in a care home but on the whole this was an interesting experience with chaotic Occult flashbacks that were mirrored in the finale.
Her boss didn't seem too impressed about the heart

I liked this one but I wouldn't say I 'enjoyed' it with the subject matter being a bit heavy, but it's certainly good.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th July 2022, 06:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Her boss didn't seem too impressed about the heart

I liked this one but I wouldn't say I 'enjoyed' it with the subject matter being a bit heavy, but it's certainly good.
It's a film that was rather heavy. I doubt it'll ever become comfort viewing. Should i watch Land of the Dead, Withnail and I or Dementer? Hmm, not really.

I did prefer Jug Face as it was more of an an enjoyable experience but even that's pretty heavy.
Old 12th July 2022, 08:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Don't really have the patience for a slow burner.....Dememter is still on the to watch list....
nicholasrope likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th July 2022, 08:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Weekend At Bernie's. 1989.

Two office staff Larry and Richard try to pretend that their murdered employer is really alive, leading the hitman to attempt to track him down to finish him off.

Who ever said you can't have fun with the dead is wrong, Andrew McCarthy and Jonathan Silverman manage to pull it off with Terry Kiser and with Ted Kotcheff directing them in this 80s comedy. It is something that would never actually work but the black humour makes it funny. Don Calfa who plays the rusty hitman brings more laughter to the screen when he thinks his intended target is still alive and well. Brilliant Summer film to watch.

Attachment 241067
A classic rental back in the day,even funnier when you were having a toke of the old resin.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th July 2022, 08:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Summer Holiday. 1963.

Somewhat totally outdated, daft, yet still entertaining to watch after not seeing it for so many years and still whistled with Cliff Richard singing "Summer Holiday",got that song in my head now But there is some nice in and around Athens and noticeable moments when you realise they are not outdoors but in a studio, helped pass time by.

220px-Summer_Holiday_FilmPoster.jpeg
Old 12th July 2022, 10:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown. 1977.

The Peanut gang head to summer camp and participate in a boat race against three bullies and their cat.

This brought back some childhood memories of watching this during the summer holidays, and as remembered it shows all four seasons during the film and Peppermint Patti holding a democracy for everything. The plot is predictable but does have the good comedy elements, where else would you see a dog and bird ride a motorbike

51y7qgCjx5L.jpg
Old 13th July 2022, 12:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bloodsport. 1988.

An American martial artist leaves the army to take part in a three day fighting competition called "Kumite" where deaths can occur.

Based on the real story of Frank Dux...which reports say it's fabricated, JCVD plays Dux who wants to honor his mentor in participating in a blood/death match. Bolo Yeung plays the current fighting champ and you know some of the fighters aren't really gonna be a match for him. Donald Gibb plays the other American Jackson who has no real fighting skills but does bring some laughs to the screen. Some decent choreographed fighting scenes.

MV5BMTc3ODA1NTcyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjk1NTkwMzE@._V1_.jpg
Old 13th July 2022, 01:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bloodsport 2. 1996.

Alex Cordo is caught trying to steal a Kitano Sword and thrown into a Bangkok prison. Inside he is beaten by a prison guard Demen and fellow prisoners. He meets old man Sun who trains him with a fighting style, when they hear of the Kumite, Demen who is champion, Alex tries to compete.

Daniel Bernhardt stars as Alex who is a jewel thief in Hong Kong while James Hong plays the old mentor and even Pat Morita shows up but isn't a fighter or trainer. Ong Soo Han plays Demen (or Demon as they say) as they brutal prison guard and Kumite champion. Donald Gibb returns as Jackson who is the American manager to a few people and still brings a bit of comedy with his character. The fight scenes are a bit better in this but the plot line itself seems to drag on a bit too much, entertaining enough.

MV5BMTQ2Mzc4NzQxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDcxNjYyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!