Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179854Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th July 2022, 04:21 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bloodsport III. 1996.

After the death of Master Sun in a bombing attack, Alex uses his fighting skills and enters a Kumite tournament run by a crime boss.

Apart from James Hong and Pat Morita appearing along side Daniel Bernhardt, both Hong and Morita in small roles, this has very little going for it. John Rhys Davies plays the crime boss and even his talents as a actor is wasted. Even for background noise this was a waste, like the Kickboxer movies, this is where I will stop.

34567_1_large.jpg
Old 13th July 2022, 09:02 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Manhattan Baby (1982)

Using Stoker's Jewel of the Seven Stars as it's primary inspiration, Lucio Fulci's Manhattan Baby fails on so many levels. The story is a difficult one to make interesting for cinema goers as other film makers (The Awakening, Blood From the Mummy's Tomb) have found out. To that end Fulci adds elements from The Exorcist into the mix as the film spirals into an incoherent mess.

Having said that, the film isn't just about the sum of it's parts, it's almost a series of vignettes thrown together from which Fulci hoped to assemble some sort of story. Sadly they don't. What we do get is a nicely shot movie with good Egyptian and New York location work with each sequence adding it's own weirdness to the overall film. Barely five minutes passes without something horrific or interesting happening, meaning, despite it's story line or lack of it, the film still has a lot of entertainment value. Take the bird attack at the finale. It's resplendent with trademark Fulci gore yet also shockingly amateurish in it's execution. Despite all these 'things' happening Manhattan Baby lacks thrills and it isn't in the least bit gripping.

As a final thought it's worth asking why on earth Fulci thought the extremely irritating Giovanni Frezza would be a good addition as a child actor. He was bad enough as Bob in House by the Cemetery withoud him showcasing his talents here as well.

Manhattan Baby may be from Fulci's classic era but it isn't classic Fulci, it isn't even good Fulci but it is weirdly watchable Fulci. In a fashion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31637370.jpg (78.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 13th July 2022, 09:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

(R)__SupermanReturns(4).jpg
SUPERMAN RETURNS (2006)

Superman returns to Earth after years away looking for remnents of the Planet Krypton..

When I saw this at the cinema I was blown away by the opening titles and loud music. Transported back to 1978 and the original movie.
This is what this movie is, a love letter to the original movies and forgetting about Superman III thankfully.
Brandon Routh does a good job as Superman and Clerk Kent, getting the mannerisms of Christopher Reeve's Kent down to a tee.
Kate Bosworth I thought was a good Lois Lane as well.
Some good, quite sad scenes here, helped along by the music as Superman tries to find his place again with Lois having moved on.
The meeting of Superman and Lois on the rooftop and the flight similar to the first movie is also good.
Originally I did not like the Superman suit too much but it has sort of grown on me now.
The movie did not do as well as the studio hoped and a planned sequel in 2009 was scrapped. Bah!

My autograph.
20220713_100519.jpg
Old 13th July 2022, 02:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Bloodsport. 1988.

An American martial artist leaves the army to take part in a three day fighting competition called "Kumite" where deaths can occur.

Based on the real story of Frank Dux...which reports say it's fabricated, JCVD plays Dux who wants to honor his mentor in participating in a blood/death match. Bolo Yeung plays the current fighting champ and you know some of the fighters aren't really gonna be a match for him. Donald Gibb plays the other American Jackson who has no real fighting skills but does bring some laughs to the screen. Some decent choreographed fighting scenes.

Attachment 241071
The Film which introduced me to Jean-Claude Van Dam me and one of my best blind buys ever. I'm actually amazed that I didn't wear out my VHS of it.

Amazing Soundtrack and delivers vast amounts of Fighting Action along with Van Damne being chased all over Hong Kong by a future Oscar Best Actor.

Took me a while to realize that the guy who's Leg was broken by Chong Li was Michel Qussi, who played Tong Po in Kickboxer I & II

Needless to say a Extra packed UK Blu-Ray is too long overdue. it's 35 years old next year.

Bloodport 4 is better than III but it's not essential like Kickboxer III. Daniel Bernhardt is in but playing a different characters, weird.

Anyway if you are currently into American Martial Arts Films allow me to recommend some favourites of mine:

The Cage 1 & 2, which stars Lou Ferigno and Reb Brown.

Shootfighter, this has Bolo Young starring as a good guy and Karate Kid Reunion of William Zabka and Marin Love. Shootfighter 2 and Enter The Shootfighter were ok.

Ring Of Fire & Rage: Ring Of Fire 2, stars Don "The Dragon" Wilson (Still love his Films,) story of warring L.A. Kickboxing Gangs.

Showdown, modern retelling of The Karate Kid starring Billy Blanks.

If you are into Swordfighting Films, I recommend, Ring Of Steel, American Samurai (David Bradley) and Gladiator Cop.

Disclaimer, these Films weren't win any Best Actor/Script Awards but they do the job as advertised.

A quality in Films I hold quite dear
Old 13th July 2022, 03:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
The Film which introduced me to Jean-Claude Van Dam me and one of my best blind buys ever. I'm actually amazed that I didn't wear out my VHS of it.

Amazing Soundtrack and delivers vast amounts of Fighting Action along with Van Damne being chased all over Hong Kong by a future Oscar Best Actor.

Took me a while to realize that the guy who's Leg was broken by Chong Li was Michel Qussi, who played Tong Po in Kickboxer I & II

Needless to say a Extra packed UK Blu-Ray is too long overdue. it's 35 years old next year.

Bloodport 4 is better than III but it's not essential like Kickboxer III. Daniel Bernhardt is in but playing a different characters, weird.

Anyway if you are currently into American Martial Arts Films allow me to recommend some favourites of mine:

The Cage 1 & 2, which stars Lou Ferigno and Reb Brown.

Shootfighter, this has Bolo Young starring as a good guy and Karate Kid Reunion of William Zabka and Marin Love. Shootfighter 2 and Enter The Shootfighter were ok.

Ring Of Fire & Rage: Ring Of Fire 2, stars Don "The Dragon" Wilson (Still love his Films,) story of warring L.A. Kickboxing Gangs.

Showdown, modern retelling of The Karate Kid starring Billy Blanks.

If you are into Swordfighting Films, I recommend, Ring Of Steel, American Samurai (David Bradley) and Gladiator Cop.

Disclaimer, these Films weren't win any Best Actor/Script Awards but they do the job as advertised.

A quality in Films I hold quite dear
Will get them checked out if I can, thank you very much
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 13th July 2022, 03:53 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Bloodsport. 1988.

An American martial artist leaves the army to take part in a three day fighting competition called "Kumite" where deaths can occur.

Based on the real story of Frank Dux...which reports say it's fabricated, JCVD plays Dux who wants to honor his mentor in participating in a blood/death match. Bolo Yeung plays the current fighting champ and you know some of the fighters aren't really gonna be a match for him. Donald Gibb plays the other American Jackson who has no real fighting skills but does bring some laughs to the screen. Some decent choreographed fighting scenes.

Attachment 241071
I want a UK blu of this one, I was even looking earlier in the month haha, there is an American one with Timecop on it which I might have to buy.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th July 2022, 04:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I want a UK blu of this one, I was even looking earlier in the month haha, there is an American one with Timecop on it which I might have to buy.
Timecop I was never a fan of, think I watched it about twice since it came out in the 90s, didn't than span a sequel without JCVD?
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 13th July 2022, 04:47 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Timecop I was never a fan of, think I watched it about twice since it came out in the 90s, didn't than span a sequel without JCVD?

I’ve never seen Timecop actually! It’s the only Blu you can get though although I think there might be a German one with just Bloodsport.

I’m off buying movies for a little while until I get my to-watch pile down a bit, the BFI and HMV PC sales have done me in haha

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th July 2022, 05:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I’ve never seen Timecop actually! It’s the only Blu you can get though although I think there might be a German one with just Bloodsport.

I’m off buying movies for a little while until I get my to-watch pile down a bit, the BFI and HMV PC sales have done me in haha
Until next time you go out!
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 13th July 2022, 06:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Summer Holiday. 1963.

Somewhat totally outdated, daft, yet still entertaining to watch after not seeing it for so many years and still whistled with Cliff Richard singing "Summer Holiday",got that song in my head now But there is some nice in and around Athens and noticeable moments when you realise they are not outdoors but in a studio, helped pass time by.

Attachment 241069
Ever seen Two A Penny? A Cliff film with a difference
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!