Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179652Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2023, 02:40 AM
Cult Addict

Also watched the confessions films on Talking pictures, pretty bad 70's flange flaunters, enlivened by a few decent 70's comedy cameo's (Irene Handl etc...) , tits and Robin Asquiff's cheeky y front gurning charm.

Linda Hayden pops up and out in the first film, then returns in the 4th as a sexy french strumpet, nobody bats an eyelid.

Enjoyable as a snapshot of when i grew up... and tits.

My favourite was Pop Performer as it was so deliriously 70's, I'm a sucker for bad 70's songs and it also had my favourite line...

Some old woman asks..."ere have you seen my Fanny?"

..as meanwhile her saucy nude daughter Fanny flounces off in to the distance..

Asquiff replies...

"...no, I saw Curse of Frankenstein and that was enough!!!"

Well you had to be there I guess.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 5th January 2023 at 03:35 AM.
Old 5th January 2023, 01:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

TheShining_quad_UK-1-500x377.jpg
THE SHINING (1980)

I had not seen this movie in years. I mean, decades!
I was never that fussed over the movie to be honest although most seemed to champion the film.
So, last night I had another watch to see if I still felt the same.
I actually enjoyed the film. Not on the pedestal that some seem to put it and that's fine. Each to their own.
For me, what really helped the movie along was the soundtrack. A haunting music score played nearly throughout the whole movie giving a sense of menace. Some good camera work through the corridors of the hotel. So yeah, I liked it better last night then many years ago. It's okay.
I don't think Steven King likes it any better though !!
Old 5th January 2023, 08:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Prey For The Devil. 2022.

A nun trying to break the bonds of religion and become the first nun to perform exorcisms comes face to face with a demon that may be linked to her past.

Another demonic possession movie that the catholic church and Vatican actually accept and I immediately thought this would be like another version of The Devil Inside and in a way it feels like that, exorcist classes, a woman that had a unstable mother, possessed woman tied to a bed. This is not the best demonic possession movie ever made but it's a lot better than The Devil Inside and The Last Exorcism Part II, then again it does have the predictable ending and decent visual effects.

81Du-TtoKRL._RI_.jpg
Old 5th January 2023, 10:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Legend Of La Llororna. 2022.

A family take a holiday to Mexico and fall foul to The Weeping Woman

The Curse Of La Llorona did seem interesting but after viewing it twice it never got better. Shudder had a version of La Llorona from 2019 and that.version was different and entertaining, this was certainly low budget, using blue screen filter to make day look night and turns out as black and white, language barrier problems that people are given advice and never listen, even Danny Trejo being in this didn't stop it going from shit, to bad and a uninteresting plot twist ending.

220px-Legend_of_la_llorona.jpg
Old 5th January 2023, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default American Horror Project Volume II

Dream No Evil (1970)

A strange regional horror about a young woman who performs high diving acts with a traveling evangelist group who is desperate to locate her father, which she does, just after his death, which sends her into a bizarre fantasy world where her father tells her to kill people.

Utterly forgetable until the axe wielding finale at a farm house and the casting of Edmond O'Brien as the woman's father. Strange and disjointed until the end then it all becomes clear, kind of. The fact the film features a narrator which gives it some sort of coherence says it all really.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2g63f5zwgW07piVZS5Prb4gpCHP.jpg (92.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 5th January 2023, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default American Horror Project Volume II

Dark August (1976)

More regional weirdness, this time from Vermont, about a man who accidentally kills a child whilst in his car and has a curse placed upon him.

I preferred this to Dream No Evil. It's more straightforward in it's narrative and the shadowy figure that lurks constantly is quite creepy. There's a nice line in rituals and witchcraft involved here and it's lovely to see Kim Hunter from Planet of the Apes appearing in a low budget regional horror film.

The idea of the cursed man (A good performance from J.J. Barry who also wrote the film) whose body is slowly giving out on him is an original idea and adds to the feeling of dread that gradually envelops the whole film until it's downbeat final act.

Low budget, certainly, but still an accomplished film with great camera work, Dark August is slo-burn regional horror at it's best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5r12UysEMSJVhjzEr9DUggIy9LW.jpg (85.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 6th January 2023, 08:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Evil Clergyman (1988, Charles Band)

Originally meant to be part of a portmanteau, this appeared on my radar due to the cast (Combs/ Gale/ Crampton/ Warner). It has not very much to do with the story tis based on , but for once that didn't really matter, as twas one of the more bonkers things I've seen recently.
A woman revisits an old haunt (cough) to find some closure. What she finds instead is that fate cannot be denied ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th January 2023, 12:43 PM
Cult Master

john-wick-chapter-1-movies-poster-01.jpg

John Wick is an ex hitman mourning the death of his wife when he is forced out of retirement after the son of his ex boss steals his car and murders his dog. With the boogeyman back in the game everyone is watching their backs but no where is safe.

After almost ten years since the release I finally sat down and watched it

I loved this straight to the point no messing around no filler no downtime just murder murder sexy cars and more murder. It was so fast paced that suddenly it was over before I felt it even began I was shocked at where the time had disappeared I pressed play and all of a sudden it was bed time

My only complaint has to be the big bad boss was pretty rubbish he was never intimating or dangerous they could of made him a little more bad ass to make the final show down a bit more satisfying and exciting .

Overall it's a blast so part 2 tonight I hope it continues from where this left off.
Old 6th January 2023, 01:15 PM
Cult Veteran

You’ll enjoy the sequels Nordy I’m sure, they both happen immediately after the ending of the previous film which is great fun. Part 3 is pretty wild! Can’t wait for the 4th film.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th January 2023, 02:05 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
You’ll enjoy the sequels Nordy I’m sure, they both happen immediately after the ending of the previous film which is great fun. Part 3 is pretty wild! Can’t wait for the 4th film.
Good to hear the plan is 2 tonight and 3 Sunday night then I can get excited for 4

Like this? Share it using the links below!