Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2010, 12:28 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The Boston Strangler

Stark, emotionless & brilliant retelling of the infamous DeSalvo story. The film is presented almost as a narrative documentary using multiple split screen techniques, and is all the better for it. Video prints used an awful pan/scan which cropped off pretty much everything. The DVD restores the film to its full widescreen glory.

In terms of acting the film is flawless. Henry Fonda & George Kennedy make a superb team (watch their delayed reactions in the brilliant elevator scene near the end). Among the equally excellent supporting cast are George Voskovec as the psychic Peter Hurkos (reunited with Fonda after Twelve Angry Men), William Hickey (superb as a creepy handbag-obsessed suspect), the droll combination of Murray Hamilton & Mike Kellin as detectives, Hurd Hatfield (the original Dorian Gray) as a hounded gay man, a brief appearance by James Brolin as a cop who comes a cropper to Hurkos's talents, and even Moe Greene himself Alex Rocco as a detective at an apartment murder scene.

However it's Tony Curtis who stands out among this towering ensemble. Yep, the same Curtis who dragged up in Some Like It Hot, lost his hand (but not his accent) in The Vikings, and uttered immortal lines such as "I won't let dem crucify youse, Spartacus" and "Yonder lies da palace of my faddah, de Caliph". Although he doesn't appear until almost an hour into the film his performance is absolutely mesmerizing. Whoever believed that Bernie Schwartz was capable of such phenomenal acting? Bone-chilling and genuinely psychotic (look at his eyes during the bathroom murder) this, together with The Defiant Ones, is the answer to critics who believed Curtis couldn't act.

The nudity is brief and the murders non-explicit (bar for the genuinely nasty assault on a bound Sally Kellerman). Much of the graphic material is limited to dialogue descriptions ("Don't tell the press about the broom handle") and this also helps the film immensely. When originally released in the UK the cinema version received some of the heaviest cuts ever made to a major Hollywood film, and even as late as 1988 the video was still a problem for the BBFC (losing over 1 min from the assault scene). Now it can be seen intact and uncut.

It can also be seen for what it is. A classic of 60's cinema and an unforgettable experience.
Old 3rd April 2010, 01:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
The Boston Strangler

Stark, emotionless & brilliant retelling of the infamous DeSalvo story. The film is presented almost as a narrative documentary using multiple split screen techniques, and is all the better for it. Video prints used an awful pan/scan which cropped off pretty much everything. The DVD restores the film to its full widescreen glory.

In terms of acting the film is flawless. Henry Fonda & George Kennedy make a superb team (watch their delayed reactions in the brilliant elevator scene near the end). Among the equally excellent supporting cast are George Voskovec as the psychic Peter Hurkos (reunited with Fonda after Twelve Angry Men), William Hickey (superb as a creepy handbag-obsessed suspect), the droll combination of Murray Hamilton & Mike Kellin as detectives, Hurd Hatfield (the original Dorian Gray) as a hounded gay man, a brief appearance by James Brolin as a cop who comes a cropper to Hurkos's talents, and even Moe Greene himself Alex Rocco as a detective at an apartment murder scene.

However it's Tony Curtis who stands out among this towering ensemble. Yep, the same Curtis who dragged up in Some Like It Hot, lost his hand (but not his accent) in The Vikings, and uttered immortal lines such as "I won't let dem crucify youse, Spartacus" and "Yonder lies da palace of my faddah, de Caliph". Although he doesn't appear until almost an hour into the film his performance is absolutely mesmerizing. Whoever believed that Bernie Schwartz was capable of such phenomenal acting? Bone-chilling and genuinely psychotic (look at his eyes during the bathroom murder) this, together with The Defiant Ones, is the answer to critics who believed Curtis couldn't act.

The nudity is brief and the murders non-explicit (bar for the genuinely nasty assault on a bound Sally Kellerman). Much of the graphic material is limited to dialogue descriptions ("Don't tell the press about the broom handle") and this also helps the film immensely. When originally released in the UK the cinema version received some of the heaviest cuts ever made to a major Hollywood film, and even as late as 1988 the video was still a problem for the BBFC (losing over 1 min from the assault scene). Now it can be seen intact and uncut.

It can also be seen for what it is. A classic of 60's cinema and an unforgettable experience.

Couldn't agree more. Superb film with astonishing acting. Fleischer was the greatest ever director of true crime films.
Old 3rd April 2010, 01:46 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched killer croc flick Rogue last night and absolutely loved it. wasn't a fan of Greg McCleans first film Wolf Creek but this was great, a proper animal attack film and the CGI was awesome as it was mixed with animatronics. It's a shame this never got a cinema release over here due to Black Water and Lake Placid 2 coming out around the same time. It's beautifully shot, showing the barran outback and is very tense at times. Defo Worth a watch, i highly recommend it.
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:02 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
watched killer croc flick Rogue last night and absolutely loved it. wasn't a fan of Greg McCleans first film Wolf Creek but this was great, a proper animal attack film and the CGI was awesome as it was mixed with animatronics. It's a shame this never got a cinema release over here due to Black Water and Lake Placid 2 coming out around the same time. It's beautifully shot, showing the barran outback and is very tense at times. Defo Worth a watch, i highly recommend it.
Word. I loved it SOOOOOOO much!
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:02 PM
Cultist

I loved both Rogue and Wolf Creek but I'd say I preferred Wolf Creek out of the two. Despite the films being horror movies, they really give me an urge to travel to Australia for a holiday. Some real beautiful shots of the country in both movies.

I watched The Ordeal yesterday. The Belgians are absolutely nuts. What the hell was the zombie shuffle dance in the cafe about? That was great.
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:27 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I have been looking forward to seeing Dead Beat at Dawn for a while now and a couple of days ago my synapse r1 DVD came through the post. I am a fan of this kind of 80's ultra low budget trash punk film making like Driller Killer, Basket Case, Combat Shock, Street Trash etc most of which was apparently inspired by the success of Evil Dead(if anyone else can recommend other titles I'd be extremely happy) and Deadbeat definitely falls into this category.

Jim Van Bebber wrote, directed, starred in and did all the make up effects for Deadbeat his first feature length film. Its an ultra violent tale of gang life in urban Ohio, Goose (Van Bebber) is the leader of a street gang who is talked into going straight by his girlfriend. Unfortunately a rival gang isn’t going to let him leave the life so easily and send out two goons (one of whom is Bone Crusher who has a fantastic rant about hating all people) to dispatch him, however they only succeed in killing his girlfriend as Goose is out on a drug deal. Extremely violent bloody revenge ensues involving nun chucks, ninja throwing stars and Van Bebbers signature style ultra violent kung fu, all shot in a whirlwind of fast camera movement and cuts that really gives the film some punch in the action department.

Its not all ultra violence and nuck chuck beatings though. There are times when the film slows down like when Goose goes to visit his alcoholic drug addled father and we see that Goose has probably done relatively well for himself considering where he has come from.

Also worth pointing out are Jim Van Bebbers death-defying stunts. In the film he repels down walls, jumps off a bridge and gets dragged by a car, and according the commentary track it was all done with little regard for safety.

If you like low budget gritty film making with plenty of ultra violence then track down this film. Just don’t expect it to have any morals what so ever. The synapse release has a commentary track (every so often on this track there are some comments by a British distributor who tried to release in here in 1998, his dealing with the BBFC make interesting listening) as well as a couple of Van Bebbers short films and the transfer is pretty decent for a low budget 16mm flick.

This could be a great film for Arrow to release, as far as I know it's had no UK release. Does anyone think it would still run into the same problems with the BBFC now that it had in 1998?

Last edited by BioZombie; 3rd April 2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It wouldn't have any problems at all today, BioZombie.
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
It wouldn't have any problems at all today, BioZombie.
Guessed as much, I thought alot of the violence in the 15 rated Kick Ass (an amazing film that I reccoment eveyone should see) was almost at the same level as [/b]Deadbeat[/b] though maybe not quite as relentless and sadistic.
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I have still never caught up with Deadbeat At Dawn. That review has revived my interest. Cheers BioZombie! Nice review.
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I have still never caught up with Deadbeat At Dawn. That review has revived my interest. Cheers BioZombie! Nice review.
Cheers Gojirosan, its definitely worth a look, the synapse realease is out of print so is not overly cheap. I paid £16 on ebay including postage.

Like this? Share it using the links below!