Old 19th May 2015, 06:48 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Has anyone seen The Other?

And can you recommend it?
I saw it a long time ago. I can't remember much about it other than that I liked it. I'll definitely be picking up the Eureka release - probably in their Xmas sale.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 19th May 2015, 12:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Has anyone seen The Other?

And can you recommend it?
I do, remember being freaked out back in the day etc. This is high on my list at the moment......

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd May 2015, 06:48 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Deep Blood (1990) is it worth getting? DiabolikDVD has the DVD for $14.99, which is limited to 300 copies. Doesn't seem to be moving much stock though.

YouTube | Letterboxd | Facebook
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I could use some advice from the locals, i have been wanting to watch a failm for YEARS called Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky, but even the VHS has a nasty high price but i won;t pirate the movie as i think im going to really enjoy it and i want my first viewing to be as clear and crisp as i can get it.

here is my problem the film is so expensive -why did Artificial Eye not reprint more copies? does anyone know where i can get a cheap copy to watch?

artificial eye released a boxset of his in 2011 but it seems the folks on ebay have broken the set down and are selling each film from the set at crazy prices.

i need a bit of help, also does anyone think someone like Arrow would be interested in picking up this film? Stalker i mean?
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Artificial Eye still own the rights and whilst the DVD has gone oop, it wasn't the best PQ wise and was actually split over two discs - which wasn't ideal when watching it. They are supposed to be releasing it on Blu either later this year or next year I think if you can hold off a bit, Vipp.

Have you seen any other Tarkovsky films? He has a distinct style, often simplistic; lingering; pondering even, which I really connect with. His Solaris is one of my all time favourite films. Stalker is great too, as is The Mirror.

His films won't be for everyone though. A lot of people brand them as overlong or boring, but for me they're a hugely absorbing experience.
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Artificial Eye still own the rights and whilst the DVD has gone oop, it wasn't the best PQ wise and was actually split over two discs - which wasn't ideal when watching it. They are supposed to be releasing it on Blu either later this year or next year I think if you can hold off a bit, Vipp.

Have you seen any other Tarkovsky films? He has a distinct style, often simplistic; lingering; pondering even, which I really connect with. His Solaris is one of my all time favourite films. Stalker is great too, as is The Mirror.

His films won't be for everyone though. A lot of people brand them as overlong or boring, but for me they're a hugely absorbing experience.

Thank you Biz, i would very much prefer a Blu-Ray, do you know what has taken them so long to get it to blu ray?

i haven;t seen any of his films but i get a feeling that i will love his stuff, i have read a great deal about the man and it's all super interesting. Whilst i wait for the blu ray of Stalker do you reccomend any of his other films that are closer to say the £10 mark ? thanks again Biz i appriciate your advice.
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
Thank you Biz, i would very much prefer a Blu-Ray, do you know what has taken them so long to get it to blu ray?

i haven;t seen any of his films but i get a feeling that i will love his stuff, i have read a great deal about the man and it's all super interesting. Whilst i wait for the blu ray of Stalker do you reccomend any of his other films that are closer to say the £10 mark ? thanks again Biz i appriciate your advice.
There's a blu ray of this avaliable very soon in Japan. Being Japanese, it might set you back a fair bit though, their blues seem to average $50.

As for the film itself, you really do need to be in the mood. It's a very long film. I'm not sure if there even is version that isn't split into 2 parts. It's long, the shots are very very long, and sometimes not a lot happens. But overall I enjoyed it, and it's fascinating to think about the things in it, as it's a very original idea.

As for Solaris, that was a film which to me held so so so much promise in the first half, from all the build up on Earth, to the near horror movie after first arriving on the station. However, once the wife appears, for me it just became a mess.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 23rd May 2015, 09:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeZius View Post
Deep Blood (1990) is it worth getting? DiabolikDVD has the DVD for $14.99, which is limited to 300 copies. Doesn't seem to be moving much stock though.
I got a copy on order with a pre-order of Der Todesking so I can't tell you for a few weeks but £12.00 for a Italian Jaws rip off limited to 300 just has to be worth it.....doesn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3FDsEFFMZk
Demoncrat and VeZius like this.
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Is the version of New Nightmare in the set below in it's correct aspect ratio or is it no different to the 4:3 version VCI put out at the turn of the century?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51VY4E8EKDL.jpg (38.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 23rd May 2015, 08:33 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post

I think a lot of it has to do with cost and access to decent materials. I don't think AE generally produce their own masters, so instead buy a master created by another company and then release it.

I think AE may be releasing a box set of his films though if you want to wait. If not, Criterion has released Ivan's Childhood and Solaris and Kino have released Nostalghia.

Like this? Share it using the links below!