Old 16th April 2016, 05:43 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Great post, nos.

I always feel like this - - when i see anyone bitching (because that's what it is) about their blu-ray from Arrow/88/Raro/Blue Underground/Shout etc etc....delete as applicable, and the quality of the picture or any slight anomaly. Shit... they must have paid all of a tenner as well!
No love for the days of paying a small fortune for letterboxed films with no extras on a laserdisc which you had to flip over halfway through!
Justin101, keirarts and Graeme73 like this.
Old 16th April 2016, 06:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
No love for the days of paying a small fortune for letterboxed films with no extras on a laserdisc which you had to flip over halfway through!
Laserdisc passed me by. I went straight from vhs to dvd in October 1998.

Back then collecting was a far more proactive thing than it is now. You talked to people, you got to know shop owners and stall holders and fellow collectors. Visiting film fairs was a must. Contacts were kept, folk at trade fairs used to hold things back until i arrived. Even in the early dvd days this was so. It all seems so impersonal now.

It's so much easier ordering online and said film dropping through your letterbox a week or so later. However it isn't a better experience. Nothing in the collecting world beats unexpectedly coming across that film you've been trying to get hold of for months or even years in some cases.
Old 16th April 2016, 06:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

No love for paying 16 quid for a pan and scanned cut Vipco or a cut Redemption Vhs either!

The only 'extras' on VHS were Warner's Terror/Beyond Vision titles (Even some of these were cut) in the form of cards or presented in Widescreen!

The Warner TERROR VISION COLLECTION

Anyway.

I'm really looking forward to 88's release of Drive In Massacre.
They revealed the reverse art yet?
keirarts likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 16th April 2016, 06:28 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Same here. I even sold some videotapes which, in hindsight, I wish I'd kept.

Quote:

It's so much easier ordering online and said film dropping through your letterbox a week or so later. However it isn't a better experience. Nothing in the collecting world beats unexpectedly coming across that film you've been trying to get hold of for months or even years in some cases.
I know what you mean. Reading about the fanzines, people travelling and buying in bulk from continental Europe or Scandinavia to distribute to friends, and real – rather than online – communities and friendships forming through love of a common interest has been lost in the sake of convenience and, with the world shrinking by the Internet, resources and information being shared increasingly easily.
Old 16th April 2016, 06:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I know what you mean. Reading about the fanzines, people travelling and buying in bulk from continental Europe or Scandinavia to distribute to friends, and real – rather than online – communities and friendships forming through love of a common interest has been lost in the sake of convenience and, with the world shrinking by the Internet, resources and information being shared increasingly easily.
You've summed it up perfectly, Nos.
Old 16th April 2016, 06:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
You've summed it up perfectly, Nos.
Thank you.

Back on subject, I've just started watching Creepshow 2 for the first time in many, many years (I can't remember when I watched the Divimax DVD last), and am really looking forward to it.
Old 16th April 2016, 07:03 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Where the colour usually faded in and out of the picture!
Colour? Colour?

All mine were in B&W...usually with a 'snow' effect
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 16th April 2016, 07:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default the labs

Quote:
Same here. I even sold some videotapes which, in hindsight, I wish I'd kept.

too right , sadly now we hang in murky corners of the internet under pseudonyms , confessing what tawdry goods we buy
Old 16th April 2016, 07:18 PM
Cultist

Quote:

Back then collecting was a far more proactive thing than it is now. You talked to people, you got to know shop owners and stall holders and fellow collectors. Visiting film fairs was a must. Contacts were kept, folk at trade fairs used to hold things back until i arrived. Even in the early dvd days this was so. It all seems so impersonal now.

Great post. I spent an absolute fortune on LDs. NTSC imports were at least £25, and I remember paying £100 for a boxset of the Dollars trilogy - and going to a dealer miles away to buy it. I did find a dealer nearby, though. Derann (yes, that Derann) had a AV shop in my local town, and if they got to know you well, they'd lead you to the back of the shop, open a curtain and let you browse the imports they had to offer to discerning customers!

As for film fairs, I've got fond memories of driving down to Watford Leisure Centre: always excited to see what 'nasties' I might come across and be able to add to my collection. Plus meeting guests such as Ray Harryheusen, Tom Savini etc...Miss those Saturdays!
Old 19th April 2016, 12:53 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Provisional artwork for The Suckling is up on Amazon:

Like this? Share it using the links below!