Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26053Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2015, 12:12 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

It's fair game if it's a discontinued look. At least 88 is going after stuff that Arrow won't (LIVE LIKE A COP, HITCH-HIKE), or rather, won't until someone else has and has covered enough ground for there to be some interest.

I don't dislike Arrow and continue to buy its releases but, as I've mentioned elsewhere before, it's hardly an innovative company - a few of the highbrow releases aside, much of what it has been putting out in the last couple of years is tried and tested, there's little in the way of risk when you're releasing titles that have sold well for US companies like Criterion, Shout! and Twilight Time.

At least the likes of our own 101 and 88 is pushing the envelope by going after stuff that's yet to have an HD release anywhere else. Hats off to them for that, I say.
Old 15th May 2015, 12:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
It's fair game if it's a discontinued look. At least 88 is going after stuff that Arrow won't (LIVE LIKE A COP, HITCH-HIKE), or rather, won't until someone else has and has covered enough ground for their to be some interest.

I don't dislike Arrow and continue to buy its releases but, as I've mentioned elsewhere before, it's hardly an innovative company - a few of the highbrow releases aside, much of what it has been putting out in the last couple of years is tried and tested, there's little in the way of risk when you're releasing titles that have sold well for US companies like Criterion, Shout! and Twilight Time.

At least the likes of our own 101 and 88 is pushing the envelope by going after stuff that's yet to have an HD release anywhere else. Hats off to them for that, I say.
Agreed.
Old 15th May 2015, 12:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Another delay for Arrow

***CONTAMINATION RELEASE DATE CHANGE***
So last week we announced the full specs for Contamination! If you missed this post take a look here: http://on.fb.me/1ROybFN
Unfortunately after reviewing everything we have discovered that a couple of the newly included extras need a some additional work which means we are having to push our release dates back slightly.
Contamination will now be released on July 6th in the UK and July 7th in the US.
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th May 2015, 12:28 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's fair game if it's a discontinued look. At least 88 is going after stuff that Arrow won't (LIVE LIKE A COP, HITCH-HIKE), or rather, won't until someone else has and has covered enough ground for there to be some interest.

I also buy the releases I want and don't already have from another company (unless they are much improved) which makes 88 Films' releases more likely to be purchased because Anthropophagous, Zombi Holocaust, Burial Ground, Night Train Murders (with Italian audio), Blastfighter, Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers etc are more appealing than Mona Lisa, Videodrome or Rollerball.
Paul@TheOverlook and keirarts like this.
Old 15th May 2015, 12:45 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I went for MONA LISA (in the set with LGF) because I didn't have it on Blu-ray and, by all accounts, the transfers of both are supposed to be great but I'm totally with you, Nos - I buy 85-90% of TT's releases, I buy a lot of Kino, Shout! and Criterion releases too, so there's almost never any need to double dip as those companies are releasing product of a generally high standard to begin with.

You really can't fault Arrow for its effort in producing quality a/v these days, it's just a shame that a lot of their work does seem to be cashing-in on the hard efforts of others who've taken a risk - and without having to resort to crowd-funding projects, either
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th May 2015, 12:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I went for MONA LISA (in the set with LGF) because I didn't have it on Blu-ray and, by all accounts, the transfers of both are supposed to be great but I'm totally with you, Nos - I buy 85-90% of TT's releases, I buy a lot of Kino, Shout! and Criterion releases too, so there's almost never any need to double dip as those companies are releasing product of a generally high standard to begin with.

You really can't fault Arrow for its effort in producing quality a/v these days, it's just a shame that a lot of their work does seem to be cashing-in on the hard efforts of others who've taken a risk - and without having to resort to crowd-funding projects, either
I don't have the money for Twilight Time, I have to wait for other companies to release the films on Blu-ray, but generally buy as many Criterion releases as possible, particularly in sales, which makes Videodrome less of a must-buy release.

I'll probably buy the Mona Lisa & Long Good Friday double pack because I don't have Mona Lisa on a legitimate DVD, let alone BD, with the one I have being which was free with a newspaper and LGF is one of my favourite British films. Others, like Coffy, aren't top of the list of titles to buy, so I'll probably pick those up in the next sale.
Old 15th May 2015, 01:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I tend to only buy Arrow titles in the sales now. They're so frequent it's no worth throwing away the extra money just to have them early - similarly I get most Criterion titles in the B&N sales - it's only the TT stuff that I get at release because a lot of them go OOP within a few months and its owners bring a lot of titles to market that have never had a home video release - many of them are films I've not even heard of before they're announced. A real "discovery" label. Kino is fast becoming that way too.
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th May 2015, 01:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I tend to only buy Arrow titles in the sales now. They're so frequent it's no worth throwing away the extra money just to have them early - similarly I get most Criterion titles in the B&N sales - it's only the TT stuff that I get at release because a lot of them go OOP within a few months and its owners bring a lot of titles to market that have never had a home video release - many of them are films I've not even heard of before they're announced. A real "discovery" label. Kino is fast becoming that way too.
I buy some Arrow limited stuff and the rare must have regular release from Arrow outside of sales, otherwise it's nearly strictly Arrow sales for their stuff, to the point I've now worked out what goes on sale when, and when the sales are.

Otherwise, I simply can't afford it with how shit the Aussie dollar is now. Wasnt so bad a 1.3-1, it's not possible at 1.9-1

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 15th May 2015, 01:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

You had it good for a while - when I was over there in 2003 there was roughly 2.5 of yours to our 1.

I don't tend to buy the limited edition stuff that Arrow puts out. Given the choice I'd prefer the standard release every time, unless there's a wealth of exclusive content and it's a film that I really like. Otherwise these days I'm just happy to have a film looking and sounding as best it can.
keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 15th May 2015, 04:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Here's an idea... Arrow, just pay High Rising what you owe (if not, why?) has Del Boy taken over or something, it shuts them up and it can be a clean break for everybody, probably an amount you could write off as no more than a 'lunch meeting' or the like. Don't want to see Arrow on an episode of 'Can't pay, we'll take it away' do we

Like this? Share it using the links below!