Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28672Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th November 2019, 11:58 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 219

The cover of the upcoming vinyl release of The Web Planet (1965) soundtrack.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg web-lp.jpg (90.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 12th November 2019, 06:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching Shada again. What fun tis. Unlike the fun I had getting it to work
iank likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th November 2019, 05:24 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
Kill The Moon
Courtney: This isn't the moon. Where are we?
The Doctor: On a recycled space shuttle. 2049, judging by that prototype version of the Bennett oscillator. (They take their helmets off.) Where's the gravity coming from?
Clara: What are they?
The Doctor: About a hundred nuclear bombs.

Courtney: Wow. Wow! One small thing for a thing. One enormous thing for a thingy thing.
Lundvik: So much for history.

(Courtney has found a spacesuit hanging in a cocoon.)
Clara: Oh, my God. Doctor, tell me there wasn't anyone inside that thing.
(He scans it with his screwdriver.)
The Doctor: I could, but it wouldn't make it true.

The Doctor: The moon isn't breaking apart. Well, actually, it is breaking apart, and rather quickly. We've got about an hour and a half. But that isn't the problem. It's not infested.
Courtney [on monitor]:*What are they, then, those things?
The Doctor: Bacteria. Tiny, tiny bacteria living on something very, very big. Something that weighs about one point three billion tonnes. Something that's living. Something growing.
Clara: Growing?
The Doctor: That.
(He sonicks the image to show what looks very like a baby dragon curled up inside the moon.)
Courtney [on monitor]: That lives under the moon?
The Doctor: No.
Clara: What?
The Doctor: That doesn't live under the moon. That is the moon.
Lundvik: What the hell are you talking about?
The Doctor: The moon isn't breaking apart. The moon is hatching.
Clara: Huh?
The Doctor: The moon's an egg.
Clara: Has it, er, has it always been an egg?
The Doctor: Yes, for a hundred million years or so. Just, just growing. Just getting ready to be born.

(The Tardis lands on a Lanzarote beach below a full moon in a bright blue sky with fluffy white clouds. The moon is falling apart as the baby spreads its wings.)
Courtney: What's it doing?
(There is a faint image of a giant winged creature in the sky, making noises.)
The Doctor: It's feeling the sun on itself. It's getting warm. The chick flies away and the eggshell disintegrates. Harmless.
Clara: Did you know?
The Doctor: You made your decision. Humanity made its choice.
Lundvik: No, we ignored humanity.
The Doctor: Well, there you go.
Lundvik: So what happens now, then? Tell me what happens now.
(The Doctor turns his back on them and closes his eyes briefly.)
The Doctor: In the mid-twenty first century humankind starts creeping off into the stars, spreads its way through the galaxy to the very edges of the universe. And it endures till the end of time. (He turns back to them,) And it does all that because one day in the year 2049, when it had stopped thinking about going to the stars, something occurred that make it look up, not down. It looked out there into the blackness and it saw something beautiful, something wonderful, that for once it didn't want to destroy. And in that one moment, the whole course of history was changed. Not bad for a girl from Coal Hill School, and her teacher.
Courtney: Oh, my gosh. It laid a new egg. It's beautiful. Doctor, it's beautiful.
The Doctor: That's what we call a new moon.
MrBarlow likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 13th November 2019, 10:59 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 220

A publicity photo of Janet Fielding as Tegan for 1984's Resurrection of the Daleks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TeganBlog-01.jpg (58.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 14th November 2019, 06:11 AM
Cult Master

Mummy On The Orient Express
(Computer screens above a workbench, blueprints on a draughting table. Racks of tools. The Doctor finds a piece of equipment bubbling to itself, and apparently powering up according to the display. He removes the plastic wrapping and scans it with the screwdriver. The Chief Engineer startles him.)
Perkins: Beautiful bit of kit, isn't it, sir? The Excelsior Life Extender. It's like driving around in a portable hospital.
(Perkins is holding a heavy piece of metal.)
The Doctor: Yes, well, it didn't do Mrs Pitt much good, did it?
Perkins: Got me there, sir. Certainly got me there. Maybe it malfunctioned.
The Doctor: Oh, I don't think so. The records show that the machine did everything it could to keep her alive.
Perkins: Yeah. And almost drained the battery doing it.
The Doctor: What do you know?
Perkins: Well, I know that when I find a man fiddling with a chair that someone died in, it's best to play my cards close to my chest.
The Doctor: Really? Well, I know that when I find a man loitering near a chair that someone died in, I do just the same.
Perkins: Perkins. Chief Engineer.
The Doctor: The Doctor. Nosey Parker.
Perkins: (chuckles) Pleased to meet you, Doctor. (They shake hands.) Course, there's a rumour that someone or some thing else might be responsible.

(The Doctor walks up to a man with a thin moustache who is reading a book, and points at him.)
The Doctor: What's the most interesting thing about the Foretold?
Moorhouse: I'm terribly sorry, I don't believe we've met.
The Doctor: You know. The Foretold. Mythical mummy. Legend has it that if you see it, you're a dead man.
Moorhouse: Yes, I know what it is. You see, I happen to be
The Doctor: Emil Moorhouse, professor of alien mythology. I'm the Doctor. Pleased to meet you. So, the most interesting thing about the Foretold. Go.
(The Doctor sits down on the other side of Moorhouse's small table.)
Moorhouse: Er, well, it would have to be the time limit given before it kills you. I can't think of another myth where it's so specific. How does it go? Er, The number of evil twice over. They that bear the Foretold's stare have sixty six seconds to live.
The Doctor: No, no, no. Nice try. Very atmospheric. But that's not it. Try again.
Moorhouse: A cynical man might say that you were trying to pump me for information.
The Doctor: The myth of the Foretold first appeared over five thousand years ago. In some stories, there is a riddle or secret word that is supposed to make it stop. Some characters try to bargain with it, offer riches, confess sins. All to no avail.
(The Doctor opens the silver cigarette case he has taken from his jacket pocket and offers the Professor a jelly baby.)
Moorhouse: Well, you certainly know a little mythology.
The Doctor: I know a lot. Because, from time to time, it turns out to be true.

The Doctor: I think we need to talk.
Quell: This matter does not concern the passengers.
The Doctor: I'm not a passenger. I'm your worst nightmare.
(The Doctor hands Quell his psychic paper.)
Quell: A mystery shopper. Oh, great.
The Doctor: Really? That's your worst? Okay, I'm a mystery shopper. I could do with an extra pillow and I'm very disappointed with your breakfast bar and all of the dying.

The Doctor: Start the clock. (to the mummy) Hello. (It reaches for him.) I'm so pleased to finally see you. I'm the Doctor and I will be your victim this evening. Are you my mummy? But you can't hurt me until my time is up. I think. So are there magic words? Is there a way to stop you in your tracks? Oh, you really didn't like your gran, did you? There's something visible under the bandages. By the way, you weren't being paranoid. She really did poison your pony.
Maisie: Oh!
The Doctor: Markings like the ones the scroll. Oh, and your father. Sorry.
Maisie: What
The Doctor: A tattered piece of cloth attached to a length of wood that you will kill for.
Perkins: Thirty seconds.
The Doctor: That doesn't sound like a scroll. That sounds like a flag! And if that sounds like a flag, if this is a flag, that means that you are a soldier, wounded in a forgotten war thousands of years ago. But they've worked on you, haven't they, son? They've filled you full of kit. State of the art phase camouflage, personal teleporter.
Perkins: Ten seconds.
The Doctor: And all that tech inside you, it just won't let you die, will it? It won't let the war end. It just won't let you stop until the war is over. We surrender.
Perkins: Zero.

(Inside the Tardis, Perkins is looking at the workings under the time rotor.)
Perkins: Er, it's er, quite a vehicle you have here, Doctor. I won't pretend to understand half of it. Having said that, I did notice you've got a couple of drive stacks need replacing.
The Doctor: Oh, you did, did you?
Perkins: Yeah. You should get someone in. And a job like that takes forever.
The Doctor: Really? Well, I suppose, whoever I did get in, it might just be easier to have them stay on board for a while. I don't suppose you'd know of anyone?
Perkins: No. Sorry, Doctor, but I don't think I do. That job could er, change a man.
The Doctor: Yes, it does. Frequently. (They go back up to the main deck where Clara is walking around with her mobile phone in hand, still in her 1920s costume.) Well, I won't keep you. Goodbye, Perkins. Good to meet you.
Perkins: You too, Doctor. And er, good luck.

Old 14th November 2019, 11:19 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 221

Ian McNeice as Winston Churchill with two of his Ironsides in Victory of the Daleks (2010)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p00nn8cj.jpg (63.6 KB, 36 views)
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 15th November 2019, 05:28 AM
Cult Master

Flatline
The Doctor: If the Tardis were to land with its true weight, it would fracture the surface of the Earth.

The Doctor: Now, listen! You're going to need these.
(hands her the sonic screwdriver and psychic paper through the tiny Tardis door)
Clara: Oh, wow. This is an honour. Does this mean I'm you now?
The Doctor: No, it does not, so don't get any ideas.

Rigsy: You never did tell me your name.
The Doctor: No time to fraternize. Come on, get rid of him.
Clara [OC]: I'm er (The community service workers are on a meal break.) I'm the Doctor.
The Doctor: Don't you dare.
Clara [OC]: Doctor Oswald. But you can call me Clara.
Rigsy: I'm Rigsy. So er, what are you a doctor of?
The Doctor: Of lies.
Clara [OC]: Well, I'm usually quite vague about that. I think I just picked the title because it makes me sound important.
The Doctor: Why, Doctor Oswald, you are hilarious.

(Clara puts the tiny Tardis on a shelf.)
Clara: Rigsy, come here. Meet the Doctor. (The Doctor is visible through the Tardis doorway, but standing back from it, so not as way out of proportion as earlier.) So, what do you think? Tiny man idea.
The Doctor: Yes, it's a lovely thought. Which is why I set the sonic to scan for that as soon as we entered. Pleased to meet you.
Clara: And you didn't think to tell me?
The Doctor: Well, of course he might have been squashed under a policeman's shoe by now.
Rigsy: It's bigger. On the inside.
The Doctor: Do you know, I don't think that statement's ever been truer.
Rigsy: What are you? Like, aliens, or something?
Clara: No. Well, he is.

Fenton: And who are you when you're at home, love?
(Clara brandishes the psychic paper.)
Clara: Health and safety. This subway is unsafe. Everyone needs to leave right now.
Fenton: This is blank. Try again, sweetheart.
Clara: What?
The Doctor: What? It takes quite a lack of imagination to beat psychic paper.

Clara: So this thing you're working on?
The Doctor [OC]: I think I've figured out a way to restore three dimensions. At least on a small scale, say door handles.
Clara [OC]: So, what's that, then? A de-flattener?
The Doctor [OC]: We're not calling it a de-flattener. (The Doctor hands it out of her bag. Basically a very old calculator with a ball on top and an extra aerial.) This should be able to restore dimensions. You see what I've called it?
Clara: Two D is. Two Dee Iz?
The Doctor: No. Twodis. It's called the Twodis. (sigh) Why'd I even bother? Well, give it a go, then.

Clara: Rule number one of being the Doctor. Use your enemy's power against them.

Missy: Clara. My Clara. I have chosen well.

Old 15th November 2019, 11:33 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 222

A Menoptera from the 1965 story The Web Planet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p015ltz6.jpg (93.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 16th November 2019, 05:26 AM
Cult Master

In The Forest Of The Night
(A schoolgirl runs through the dappled light of a forest until she finds an incongruous blue Police Box. She knocks on the door and it is opened by a tall man who has to look down to see her.)
Maebh: I'm lost. Please, can you help me?
The Doctor: It's that way. (He shuts the door then opens it again and stares at the forest.) Are those trees?
Maebh: I need the Doctor. Are you the Doctor?
The Doctor: Yes. Do you have an appointment? You need an appointment to see the Doctor.

The Doctor: When you drink a glass of Coke, it's only this big (gestures with his hands), but it's actually got this much sugar (opens arms wide) in it. It works a bit like that.
Maebh: What does?
The Doctor: The Tardis. It's bigger on the inside than the outside, or did you not notice?
(She follows him up to the gallery, where he picks up and unfolds a street map of London.)
Maebh: I just thought it was supposed to be bigger on the inside, so I didn't say anything.
The Doctor: Well, of course it's supposed to be bigger. Most people are confused by that.
Maebh: I find everything confusing, nearly. So, I don't say anything.

Clara: Look, is she all right? Will you bring her over?
The Doctor: No, I can't bring her over. I'm a Time Lord, not a childminder.
Clara [OC]: You've got a spaceship. All we've got are Oyster cards.

Clara: You're always showing me amazing things. Well, I, Doctor, have finally got something amazing to show you.
The Doctor: Yes, well, there are some things I've never seen, but that's usually because I've chosen not to see them. Even my incredibly long life is too short for Les Miserables.

Clara: So you're saying it's an act of aggression?
The Doctor: By trees?
Ruby: Er, trees clean the air.
Clara: Exactly. Well done, Ruby
MrBarlow likes this.

Old 16th November 2019, 11:55 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 223

Sarah (Elisabeth Sladen) and the Doctor (Tom Baker) show concern for the Planet of Evil (1975)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg planet of evil.jpg (51.2 KB, 24 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!