Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28674Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2014, 03:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassilon View Post
Ah thank you. Was looking for DR Who stuff in TV. My mistake. Yes there looks lots to feast upon here thanks.
If you have any questions regarding specific stories or types of story - the Gothic ones for example, feel free to ask.

With Spearhead, Genesis and City you are off to a fine start.
Old 17th February 2014, 03:16 PM
Ex-Member

I got Genisis as everyone said it was the best. However I enjoyed Shada much more. Found the story very intriguing. I actually had a problem with The Two Doctors, during one scene in a cafe, Shockeye stabs a human and kills him. Regardless of the fakery it seemed to darken the whole DVD. Im not a prune, I love New York Ripper as much as I Spit on your Grave, but within the confines of a family show, this scene left a bitter taste. One fan did explain to me that the Colin Baker years were trying to be more grim and dark. But I don't think this would be done nowadays.
Old 17th February 2014, 03:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Much of the violence from classic Who wouldn't be shown now. The Colin Baker years were especially violent. There's the scene from The Two Doctors you mention. In fact most of the Two Doctors is taken too far. Vengeance on Varos is another example, its a very good story but glorifies violence. Then we have Attack of the Cybermen which is very graphic and bloody in parts.

Then we get to Revelation of the Daleks which has stabbings and a very grim sequence showing a human slowly being turned into a Dalek. In fact the whole story is very grim seeing as it deals with turning bodies into Daleks.
Old 17th February 2014, 03:34 PM
Ex-Member

Thank you. I thought you would say I was crazy. Some non fans said I was looking to deep into it or taking it personal. I just couldn't explain how wrong the scene felt and how unsettling it made me.
Old 17th February 2014, 03:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Thank you. I thought you would say I was crazy. Some non fans said I was looking to deep into it or taking it personal. I just couldn't explain how wrong the scene felt and how unsettling it made me.
Tom Baker's brilliant The Deadly Assassin is another violent story. It came in for much criticism at the time due to a prolonged drowning sequence where Goth held the Doctor's face underwater in the sequences in the Matrix.

Scared the shit out of me when i first saw it as a child i can tell you.
Old 17th February 2014, 03:42 PM
Ex-Member

What I am enjoying is buying blind. I don't know other than genesis what DVD are good or bad so I judge them on the synopsis on the back. Haven't watched City of Death or Spearhead yet but I am looking forward to it.
Old 17th February 2014, 03:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
What I am enjoying is buying blind. I don't know other than genesis what DVD are good or bad so I judge them on the synopsis on the back. Haven't watched City of Death or Spearhead yet but I am looking forward to it.
That's the best way to do it. After all, if they were being broadcast you would be watching "blind".
Old 17th February 2014, 03:52 PM
Ex-Member

True, another discovery I made was each doctors persona. I'd only seen photos of number 2 and thought he looked serious and somehow boring, but far from it. Patrick is very funny in what I've seen. But my favourite is Tom Baker.
Old 17th February 2014, 03:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

This might interest you. The Mighty 200 - Gallifrey Matrix Wiki

In 2009, Doctor Who Magazine released a survey called the Mighty 200. Thousands voted and the rankings on the whole are probably about right. Naturally with all surveys personal preferences mean some stories you love are lower than hoped for example. And of course the reverse with lesser stories.

The mag ran another poll a couple of months ago to take in all Matt Smith's tenure as none had been seen in the earlier poll. Results are due in the summer.

It'll be interesting to see if the classic dvd's released in the years since the poll has resulted in them catapulting up the chart. Enemy of the World and the wonderful The Space Museum as examples.
Old 17th February 2014, 04:11 PM
Ex-Member

Girl in the fire place in the top ten. No way. I thought that was a album track at best. No Shada anywhere ton be seen!

Like this? Share it using the links below!