Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28684Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2018, 12:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Me too. The whole thing has become a total and utter farce. Stopped really taking note of Dr Who after series 8 with Peter Capaldi, though I did watch certain episodes up to the end of Capaldi's demise. The whole Christmas special last year signified to me that Doctor Who was well and truly over. The show and the decisions of casting a female Doctor was made more by the BBC than Steven Moffat, but Moffat just pushed all of the political correctness, feminism and diversity etc.. at full tilt. I suppose when you're paid by the BBC, then you must do as your told. Stuff all those long term fans that know and sense what Doctor Who use to be like. Though the science fiction component has been somewhat devoid from the show for some considerable time.

Doctor Who is nothing more than an empty husk of a show now. I have nothing wrong with the casting of a female Doctor, but it's the way the show is now being driven that concern's me by the BBC. If I want to watch some genuine Dr Who, then it's get those DVD's out from the past.

In the end it's owned by the BBC, so they can do what they like with it.

For me it's the sad end.

RIP Doctor Who 1963-2014
This series (so far) has far less of the things you mention than Moffat thrust at us. There's been no mention of sexuality, no characters continually saying 'I'm a lesbian you know', stuff like that, nor has there been any shaming of the past series as Moffat did with David Bradley's first Doctor. Neither is there any silliness such as the Doctor playing guitar or having sonic shades.

So far if i were to place these first two stories in past series i'd say the first one could have been in Smith's first series and yesterdays in series three with Martha. That was the kind of feel they transmitted. Perhaps Chibnall has no identity.

This series is definitely an improvement on the last two Capaldi seasons although I must admit i'm dreading the Rosa Parks episode next week. However i haven't seen it yet so my worst fears haven't yet been played out on screen.
Old 15th October 2018, 12:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Me too. The whole thing has become a total and utter farce. Stopped really taking note of Dr Who after series 8 with Peter Capaldi, though I did watch certain episodes up to the end of Capaldi's demise. The whole Christmas special last year signified to me that Doctor Who was well and truly over. The show and the decisions of casting a female Doctor was made more by the BBC than Steven Moffat, but Moffat just pushed all of the political correctness, feminism and diversity etc.. at full tilt. I suppose when you're paid by the BBC, then you must do as your told. Stuff all those long term fans that know and sense what Doctor Who use to be like. Though the science fiction component has been somewhat devoid from the show for some considerable time.

Doctor Who is nothing more than an empty husk of a show now. I have nothing wrong with the casting of a female Doctor, but it's the way the show is now being driven that concern's me by the BBC. If I want to watch some genuine Dr Who, then it's get those DVD's out from the past.

In the end it's owned by the BBC, so they can do what they like with it.

For me it's the sad end.

RIP Doctor Who 1963-2014

I think they were making a joke as they really enjoyed the first episode having just watched the last episode i can see why people are upset as it's awful, really bad writing but even classic who had some stinkers, so with any luck it's a one off and the rest of the episodes are the same or better than the first and as mentioned no agender here, unlike the Moffat era with him forces issues down people's throats
Old 15th October 2018, 12:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I think they were making a joke as they really enjoyed the first episode
I don't understand what this comment has to do with the one it was quoting.
Old 15th October 2018, 12:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't understand what this comment has to do with the one it was quoting.
He was quoating iank who really enjoyed the first episode of you look back so a bit strange after one has episode they posted what they did..Also had a little laughing skull at the end of post
Old 15th October 2018, 01:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
This series (so far) has far less of the things you mention than Moffat thrust at us. There's been no mention of sexuality, no characters continually saying 'I'm a lesbian you know', stuff like that, nor has there been any shaming of the past series as Moffat did with David Bradley's first Doctor. Neither is there any silliness such as the Doctor playing guitar or having sonic shades.

So far if i were to place these first two stories in past series i'd say the first one could have been in Smith's first series and yesterdays in series three with Martha. That was the kind of feel they transmitted. Perhaps Chibnall has no identity.

This series is definitely an improvement on the last two Capaldi seasons although I must admit i'm dreading the Rosa Parks episode next week. However i haven't seen it yet so my worst fears haven't yet been played out on screen.
Jodie Whittaker's casting just says it all really. The woman can't act to save her life, and that accent, Jesus!!!! And then there was me thinking that Bonnie Langford's character of Mel had vocal problems. Well I can't say anything about the substance of the episodes, because I have no real interest with this series of Fem Who. I'll leave that to you. I'll keep an eye on the Dr Who forum page here to read you're reviews of each episode.
Old 15th October 2018, 01:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
He was quoating iank who really enjoyed the first episode of you look back so a bit strange after one has episode they posted what they did..Also had a little laughing skull at the end of post
I think you misread Ian's post.

Here it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I loved Doctor Who on Sunday.

I watched The Ambassadors of DEATH!
Ian hasn't liked Doctor Who since Tom Baker left (probably)
Old 15th October 2018, 01:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I think you misread Ian's post.

Here it is.

Ian hasn't liked Doctor Who since Tom Baker left (probably)
yes, i only saw the first line, did think it was a bit strange that he loved it
Old 15th October 2018, 02:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Another meh episode.
I know it's only two episodes in, but it still hasn't hooked me at all yet. Early days I guess, but the story was a bit of a nothing ( and a bit predictable - a dead heat for the winners, the finger clicking cigar etc) plus the sheet things were about as exciting as the Vardans.
Onto next week.
Old 15th October 2018, 03:36 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
We already know that episode 3 has the title 'Rosa', and it's about Rosa Parks...

...it seems that episode 4 carries the title 'Arachnids in the UK'!

"Something’s happening with the spiders in this city.

The Doctor and her friends find their way back to Yorkshire – and Yaz’s family – only to find something is stirring amidst the eight-legged arachnid population of Sheffield."
Titles and synopses for episodes 5 and 6

Episode 5: The Tsuranga Conundrum - Guest starring Suzanne Packer, Ben Bailey Smith, Brett Goldstein and Lois Chimimba. Written by Chris Chibnall. Directed by Jennifer Perrott.

"“Risk to life: absolute.” Injured and stranded in the wilds of a far-flung galaxy, The Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan must band together with a group of strangers to survive against one of the universe’s most deadly -- and unusual -- creatures."

Episode 6: Demons Of The Punjab - Guest starring Shane Zaza, Amita Suman and Hamza Jeetooa. Written by Vinay Patel. Directed by Jamie Childs.

"“What’s the point of having a mate with a time machine, if you can’t nip back and see your gran when she was younger?” India, 1947. The Doctor and her friends arrive in the Punjab, as the country is being torn apart. While Yaz attempts to discover her grandmother’s hidden history, the Doctor discovers demons haunting the land. Who are they and what do they want?"

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 15th October 2018, 10:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 630

The brutish Condo captures Sarah Jane in The Brain of Morbius (1976)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bm1.jpg (84.0 KB, 30 views)
MrBarlow likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!