Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st October 2018, 08:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I've changed my mind.

Following on from tonight's villain who changes bus time tables.

It's DEFINITELY NOT A MISTAKE not having Daleks or Cybermen in this series.

I don't think Chris would know what to do with them.

WE WILL INVADE THE EARTH AND EXTERM....NEGATIVE...WE WILL PUT SALT IN PEPPER POTS AND VICE VERSA.
Old 21st October 2018, 08:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've changed my mind.

Following on from tonight's villain who changes bus time tables.

It's DEFINITELY NOT A MISTAKE not having Daleks or Cybermen in this series.

I don't think Chris would know what to do with them.

WE WILL INVADE THE EARTH AND EXTERM....NEGATIVE...WE WILL PUT SALT IN PEPPER POTS AND VICE VERSA.
Sorry that you had to suffer such drivel. Tonight I sat back and watched my DVD copy of Terror of the Zygons. Now there's some real quality Who.

I even started the DVD to coincide with Fem Who on BBC 1.
Old 21st October 2018, 08:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Managed about 30 minutes before I switched off.
Old 21st October 2018, 09:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Let's not forget doctor who originally started of as a educational show about past and History not all about fighting monsters, and that's what tonight episode was about but decided to throw some villain in and tbh he was a pointless villain.

The programme was originally intended to appeal to a family audience[7] as an educational programme using time travel as a means to explore scientific ideas and famous moments in history. On 31 July 1963, Whitaker commissioned Terry Nation to write a story under the title The Mutants. As originally written, the Daleks and Thals were the victims of an alien neutron bomb attack but Nation later dropped the aliens and made the Daleks the aggressors. When the script was presented to Newman and Wilson it was immediately rejected as the programme was not permitted to contain any "bug-eyed monsters". According to producer Verity Lambert; "We didn't have a lot of choice — we only had the Dalek serial to go ... We had a bit of a crisis of confidence because Donald [Wilson] was so adamant that we shouldn't make it. Had we had anything else ready we would have made that." Nation's script became the second Doctor Who serial – The Daleks (also known as The Mutants). The serial introduced the eponymous aliens that would become the series' most popular monsters, and was responsible for the BBC's first merchandising boom.[8]
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 21st October 2018, 09:13 PM
Cult Addict

I understand there was a lack of outer space monsters in the episode but i think that's the whole point they were going for with the segregation black/white issue.
It is between members of the human race and to add in an alien creature would take it away from the basic themes of the story.

Also making the villain a white guy who tells the doctor to get outta town emphasises the idea, and placed her in the role of the outcast if only for a moment.

Basically it did what you'd expect a historical Dr Who story to do, put you in the middle of the situation, inform you of the aspects of the story and get out without altering time and putting things back on course.

The guy changing the timetables is signifying that a relatively minor occurrence can change history which mirrors the fact that Rosa's small stand made such a difference.

Historical stories are always there to point a unknowing kid to realise times change and check out history for themselves while leaving pointers to research and gain knowledge of the past, at least that seems to be what the original point for historical stories was.

Obviously these days it all seems a bit preachy and P.C but maybe everything that addresses a race story is going to seem fuelled by modern sensibilities these days because of the abundance of vocal internet social justice warriors.

Still it's a story that deserves to be told to the kids out there.

The treatment of the story is also being used to bring the new companions closer together despite their differences and develop a mutual respect joined to the memories of their shared loss, so this is quite intelligent writing i feel, and quite a juggling act to pull off.

So yeah there was a lack of monsters but i think that's the point, the idea of people disrespecting each other over small cosmetic differences is monstrous enough.

I enjoyed it, likewise i could have done without the emotional and slightly cheesy song at the end, but as a historical story i thought it did the job and didn't need the monster of the week.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 21st October 2018, 09:32 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Sorry that you had to suffer such drivel. Tonight I sat back and watched my DVD copy of Terror of the Zygons. Now there's some real quality Who.

I even started the DVD to coincide with Fem Who on BBC 1.
Is there any point to your comments Hive except to show that you are an insular human being who doesn't like and won't accept any change to their limited experience?

Just wondering because your comments don't add anything to the discussion either way except to tell us that you are not engaging with anything new.

Yawn.

If you are not engaging with a discussion then why even bother to tell us.

It equates to sitting in a room of people talking and putting your fingers in your ears and saying loudly "not listening".

We all know and love old Who but things change, sadly it seems you don't want to engage with any of this.

It seems as though you've been watching a T.V series about change (one timelord, many faces) and acceptance and fighting against set rules (renegade timelord, ahem) and injustice and oppression in the universe but never got the message, it's quite alright to not like something but to turn your back and just not engage is just ignorant and rude.

If all you've got to say is i'm not participating in New Who and just watching your classic stories then why don't you do reviews of classic Who and just stay out of the discussion of the new series.

Just saying.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 21st October 2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 21st October 2018, 09:43 PM
Cult Addict

I didn't think tonights was the best story ever but i found it interesting, so would probably rate it 6.5/10 as a Who story.

Well acted and made. Liking the gang but feel the female companion is making the least impact overall.

It wasn't great but there wasn't anything i really disliked.

A solid story,well done but not exceptional.

Old 21st October 2018, 09:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I understand there was a lack of outer space monsters in the episode but i think that's the whole point they were going for with the segregation black/white issue.
It is between members of the human race and to add in an alien creature would take it away from the basic themes of the story.

Also making the villain a white guy who tells the doctor to get outta town emphasises the idea, and placed her in the role of the outcast if only for a moment.

Basically it did what you'd expect a historical Dr Who story to do, put you in the middle of the situation, inform you of the aspects of the story and get out without altering time and putting things back on course.

The guy changing the timetables is signifying that a relatively minor occurrence can change history which mirrors the fact that Rosa's small stand made such a difference.

Historical stories are always there to point a unknowing kid to realise times change and check out history for themselves while leaving pointers to research and gain knowledge of the past, at least that seems to be what the original point for historical stories was.

Obviously these days it all seems a bit preachy and P.C but maybe everything that addresses a race story is going to seem fuelled by modern sensibilities these days because of the abundance of vocal internet social justice warriors.

The treatment of the story is also being used to bring the new companions closer together despite their differences and develop a mutual respect joined to the memories of their shared loss, so this is quite intelligent writing i feel, and quite a juggling act to pull off.

So yeah there was a lack of monsters but i think that's the point, the idea of people disrespecting each other over small cosmetic differences is monstrous enough.

I enjoyed it, likewise i could have done without the emotional and slightly cheesy song at the end, but as a historical story i thought it did the job and didn't need the monster of the week.
You dont need made up monster from another planet because in reality judging by past history human beings can be the biggest monster of them all .
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 21st October 2018, 10:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post

I get what you say but either the production team didn't have the confidence to go with a purely historical story, which would have been better, or they should have made it a more interesting alien with proper reasons for doing what it did. I found absolutely no motivation for what it was doing.

It's okay saying it was altering just a small point of Earth history, but why?
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 21st October 2018, 10:08 PM
Cult Addict

It is true that the villain had no motivation, at least nothing that is apparent so far.
So i do agree with you on that point Dem.

I'm guessing stuff will add up later down the line, even though there is supposedly no arc i think things will be tied up later on.

Like this? Share it using the links below!