Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28688Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2012, 11:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Doctor Who Sound FX Dalek

Doctor Who Sound FX Dalek

did anyone buy one these in the end?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doctor Who Sound FX Dalek.jpg (23.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 2nd September 2012, 05:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Not yet.
Old 2nd September 2012, 06:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm a old school Doctor Who fan of the original series and I thought that the series opener Asylum of the Daleks was a brillant start. It was a game changer with its changes to the Daleks that honestly were desperately needed it and its made the new companion an even more intriguing character.
Mojo and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:20 AM
Cult Addict

I persaonaly felt Asylum of the Daleks was a step in the right direction.
The last few series openers have been a bit lackluster and though I roled my eye's at the return of the Daleks (for the 50 millionth time since 2005) they played off really well here, it answered our quiestions on what happened to the Proginator Daleks now the Big Bang re-occured, we got some nice cameo's from classic Daleks (FOOKIN' SPECIAL WEAPONS DALEK!!!!) though they could have been better utelised. Intensive care was genuinly tense, as was the 'big surprise'. The fact that they didn't kill the Dalek's off again was a great reliefe to me, it harck's back to the classic era when the Doctor knew he could never destroy the them completely, they would alway's find a way. Having them forget the Doctor should keep them out of the way.........for a series or two. If where lucky.
Over all it was a solid story and a good series opener, the kid's loved seeing the Daleks in all there richity glory, and I had fun just looking through it with children's eye's once again.

DVD and BD collection
Old 3rd September 2012, 09:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I had no problem with this one, as I'm trying to remain positive at the moment ahem. We'll see how long this lasts

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:08 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
. Having them forget the Doctor should keep them out of the way.........for a series or two. If where lucky.
I read into that "forgetting business" differently to you.

As with the last series finale, i thought if he was forgotten it would keep all his enemies off his back and basically mean he could encounter aliens and monsters without needing to destroy whole species.

Just like the series used to be. Through their many encounters the Daleks, Cybermen etc will build up dossiers of their battles but he would no longer be known as the "predator of the Daleks" or the greatest threat to the universe. Just the stranger they encountered on x planet.

Small scale Dalek stories are whats in order like Death to the Daleks or Power of the Daleks not stories where the Doctor has to destroy Skaro every time.
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:25 AM
Cult Addict

Slightly astray from topic, but after clearing out my wardrobe for thing's I don't want any more before I go to colege.
I sadly had to throw away a few DVD's (I'm update my 'clear out' list on the trade forum even if there wont be much of interest) but kept all my Doctor Who DVD's. I found a few I didn't even remember buying, to my pleasure and surprise, this was one of them.

I had forgoten what a great set this was and am going to sit down and watch the only exisitng episodes of The Abominable Snowman and The Web of Fear tonight. Two of my favourets.

DVD and BD collection
Old 4th September 2012, 10:48 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Asylum of the Daleks had an AI Index (Audience appreciation) of 89.

The highest since The Big Bang in 2010, and the highest for any series opening episode.
Mojo and Criterion7 like this.
Old 4th September 2012, 12:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I cannot understand that the new series is slagged so frequently, I really like it and was very pleased with Asylum of the Daleks...

Classic Doctor Who is good, no question about it, but it really suffers from the low budget, some effects are just too cheap - it is similar to Star Trek - unfair to compare to later series...
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 4th September 2012, 02:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughale View Post
I cannot understand that the new series is slagged so frequently, I really like it and was very pleased with Asylum of the Daleks...

Classic Doctor Who is good, no question about it, but it really suffers from the low budget, some effects are just too cheap - it is similar to Star Trek - unfair to compare to later series...
I agree more or less.

If it came back as 4 episode stories it would have failed straight away.

Classic Who viewed in the cold light of day was choc full of filler to pad out stories, where not much happens between episodes one and four.

Despite this i still love it.

The Star Trek comparison i'm not so sure about, i feel the original series stands up a lot better than TNG as far as being dated goes.

Like this? Share it using the links below!