Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2015, 03:29 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Curious, where are you watching it?? We've been watching it on NowTV and ep 5 is on tomorrow night?
I can't speak for Justin, but I've been watching it on the FOXHD channel on Sky, so I'm up to Episode 6 too.
Old 23rd June 2015, 05:28 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
More dubious means than British streaming services haha... a-hem..
Ah. Furry muff.
Old 23rd June 2015, 05:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I can't speak for Justin, but I've been watching it on the FOXHD channel on Sky, so I'm up to Episode 6 too.
My mistake. Getting senile, i just checked we've watched 5 episodes and 6 is on Thursday. Was sure we'd only seen 4.
Old 25th June 2015, 07:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Avengers (1961)

Just seen the first series of The Avengers...or what's left of it.

Two complete episodes and the first reel (15 minutes) of the very first episode.

I really went into this cold as i haven't seen much of The Avengers at all but knew i wanted the complete box set.

I was very surprised to see Ian Hendry as Dr David Keel having the lead role with Patrick Macnee's Steed only a supporting character, so much so as he's only in one of the episodes. The series is a very different beast to what was to come. There's no female side kick and the two complete stories are thrillers and don't feature any of the fantastical elements that would drive the series in the years to come.

I also thought it was Brian Clemens baby but the series was actually created by future Doctor Who creator Sydney Newman.

Slightly creaky stuff but interesting non the less.
Old 25th June 2015, 08:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Avengers (1961)
Did you watch this because of the sad news of Patrick Macnee's death?
Old 25th June 2015, 09:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Did you watch this because of the sad news of Patrick Macnee's death?
No. I received the complete box set for Christmas and decided i'd watch it once i finished Arrow, so started on Monday night with the first reel and watched the other two on subsequent nights.
Old 27th June 2015, 08:47 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Better enjoy it while we can. NBC has just cancelled it. Season 3 will be the last.

http://deadline.com/2015/06/hannibal...bc-1201451774/
Fuller told Alan Sepinwall it's 50/50 whether we get a fourth season, Gaumont are shopping it around, Amazon seem to be the favourite given that they have an existing deal in place to stream seasons one and two.

This weeks viewing figures dropped even lower though.
Old 27th June 2015, 11:56 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This is a bit of a follow on from a discussion on another thread, but I started watching Orange Is the New Black last night, intending to watch the third season, but watched the first two episodes of the first season by mistake. I was surprised that everything was very familiar, but put it down to having recently read the book – there are lines of dialogue and scenario straight from Piper Kerman's memoir – but decided to stay with it and watch the three series in one go.

As I said in a different thread, there are additions to the show which aren't in the book, probably to create more dramatic attention and make the other inmates more rounded characters – Red's back story being an early example – otherwise the show would be like the book, largely about Piper and the penal system in the US.

I was left needing something to watch because I finished the seventh (and final) season of Mad Men that night, and thought it was a brilliant piece of television, which stayed at a consistently high level throughout all seven seasons and didn't disappoint at all en route to a memorable, and very satisfying final episode.
Old 27th June 2015, 12:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Mad Men is just wonderful, one of my favourite shows of all time. I'm going to start it all again as soon as the complete season 7 boxset is released.

Working my way through the final season of Fringe. It's different to what preceded it, both thematically and tonally, but it's still fantastic. Fringe has been a pleasant surprise, I was expecting an X Files knock-off and at first that's what I got, but it evolves into so much more. The best £20 I've spent in quite some time. I'll miss it when it's over.
Old 27th June 2015, 01:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
Mad Men is just wonderful, one of my favourite shows of all time. I'm going to start it all again as soon as the complete season 7 boxset is released.
It is one of the greatest TV shows ever made, with a quality to the writing, acting and directing (not to mention social commentary), which is only matched by series like The Sopranos (Matthew Weiner perfected his craft and rose to prominence during the fifth and sixth reasons), The Wire and Six Feet Under (another show which I haven't seen in a long time, but own and want to watch in a week or two).

I'm going to give it some time then, when I have season seven on Blu-ray (I hope there will be one release with the entire season at some point rather than two separate releases), I'll probably do a marathon viewing of the entire series.

Like this? Share it using the links below!