Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th December 2016, 06:36 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
its more popular amongst the older generation than the younger generation..
I'm old, and it does nothing for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Mrs Brown's Ballsack I can at least see what I'm meant to be laughing at. Unlike Miranda which is just lost in me.
"Miranda" is 'cringe comedy', in the same way that 'The Office' was

Again, both leave me cold

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 27th December 2016, 08:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
its more popular amongst the older generation than the younger generation..
says a lot about me and my age then
i find the opposite its younger people that like it, older people who think would like it with 60s/70s comedy hate it as i do
Old 27th December 2016, 09:24 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I have recently watched and/or finished:

The Exorcist:
This is a show I went into with very mixed feelings, wanting the best because I love William Peter Blatty's book so felt the series 'inspired' by the novel had to do it justice. I don't think it did, and didn't like what they did with Pazuzu and Captain Howdy, but really enjoyed the interplay between the two priests, the performances by the teenagers and Geena Davis. It wasn't as bad as I feared it could have been, as an affront to the novel and the film adaptation, nor as good as William Friedkin's film based on Blatty's screenplay from his novel.

If there is a second series, I'll probably watch it.

Arrested Development:
I watched the first (and best) three series in fairly quick succession, really enjoying reliving some things I haven't seen for some time and remembering scenes or lines which cracked me up the first time I watched the show. The casting is perfect, the writing is sharp and beautifully delivered, and Ron Howard's narration is inspired.

Nathan Barley:
Charlie Brooker and Chris Morris teamed up to make this parody of the way the magazine industry was heading in around 2003, but I don't think they could have imagined how prophetic it turned out to be. There are clear parallels to be found between the ridiculous clothing and hairstyles and those sported by hipsters, the cruel pranks on Nathan's website and the cyber bullying on anything from Vine, YouTube, or Facebook and even, if you swap the world weary defeatism for the messianic following he has, Dan Ashcroft and Russell Brand. It is scary how pretentious wankers and idiots have seemingly become mainstays of culture (TOWIE, Big Brother etc.) rather than being ostracised and exposed for the vacuous fools they are. Intentionally or not, Brooker and Morris predicted it.
Old 27th December 2016, 09:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Really? Think its one of the best TV shows out there,up there with soprano's, breaking bad and the likes of the wire. Surprisingly well acted etc for a SciFi show. Like unlike most shows were everything and everyone is black and white, here its all shades of grey , with everyone having faults and as the show goes on the cylons are not the bad guys we think they are and we are just as bad if not worse than them.
I've had my fill of 'grimdark' shows. Considering the source material (which if you consider the fun and optimistic tone of the original series - even if you don't like it, and i'm not too keen on that either) i wonder why the fashion now seems to be so dark. Miserable doesn't necessarily equal 'mature' but a lot of show writers seem to think so!
iank likes this.
Old 27th December 2016, 11:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

DAREDEVIL SEASON 1
ARROW SEASON 4
FLASH SEASON 2
LEGENDS OF TOMORROW SEASON 1

ARROW SEASON 5 EPS 1, 2, 3
FLASH SEASON 3 EPS 1, 2, 3
LEGENDS OF TOMORROW SEASON 2 EP 1
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 28th December 2016, 07:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Started Dracula, its a great series that's well acted with great period detail and atmosphere, with twist on the usual tale. As its only £5 on amazon its well worth a shot. Only downside cancelled after one season.

Taking of series what's Frankenstein chronicles like?
Old 29th December 2016, 05:43 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Finished up Ghost Stories for Christmas just before the festive period and was lacking some festive drama in my life... luckily the BBC came to the rescue with its fantastic two-part adaptation of Agatha Christie's The Witness for the Prosecution and the less good (although a still entertaining) new episode of Jonathan Creek, which I used to love watching when it was on regularly.
Old 29th December 2016, 06:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Finished up Ghost Stories for Christmas just before the festive period and was lacking some festive drama in my life... luckily the BBC came to the rescue with its fantastic two-part adaptation of Agatha Christie's The Witness for the Prosecution and the less good (although a still entertaining) new episode of Jonathan Creek, which I used to love watching when it was on regularly.
I totally forgot about this, is it worth picking up on dvd?
Old 29th December 2016, 06:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I totally forgot about this, is it worth picking up on dvd?
Based on your previous viewing and what you have likes, I'd recommend it to you. It is (as far as I know) faithful to the Agatha Christie's original short story rather than the stage play and Billy Wilder's film. The period design is flawless and the excellent cast, with Toby Jones, David Haig, Billy Howie, Andrea Riseborough, and an almost unrecognisable Kim Cattrall, are uniformly superb. If I had one criticism, it would be that the last 20 minutes are little too slow and anticlimactic, but otherwise The Witness for the Prosecution is brilliant.
Old 29th December 2016, 06:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Based on your previous viewing and what you have likes, I'd recommend it to you. It is (as far as I know) faithful to the Agatha Christie's original short story rather than the stage play and Billy Wilder's film. The period design is flawless and the excellent cast, with Toby Jones, David Haig, Billy Howie, Andrea Riseborough, and an almost unrecognisable Kim Cattrall, are uniformly superb. If I had one criticism, it would be that the last 20 minutes are little too slow and anticlimactic, but otherwise The Witness for the Prosecution is brilliant.
Thanks, Nos. I'll stick it into my wishlist and pick it up when it drops in price.

Like this? Share it using the links below!