All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13847Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th November 2023, 03:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Gen V

Spin Off of The Boys set after the events of Season 3 of that series which sees students at a School that prepares teenage Supes for Crime Fighting or Showbusiness. However not all is as it seems with a dark secret which sets up a potential storyline for The Boys: Season 4.

TBH, I found this to be rather hit and miss, I really enjoyed the storylines that involved characters from The Boys but the teen angst is similar to things that I've seen before.
I didn't even know that this existed, thanks for letting me know about it.
Old 15th November 2023, 07:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Practice: The Candidate. Dylan Baker guest stars as a Senatorial candidate arrested for murder after a man, believed to be having an affair with his wife, is found shot to death in his marital bed. Baker claims mistaken self-defence, that he believed him to be an intruder attacking his wife, but neither he, his wife or his teenage daughter are telling the whole truth... This feature-length episode is a cracking start to season 6.
Old 21st November 2023, 08:57 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Watched the first episode of The Wire on Saturday I loved it. Took me a bit to take the main detective serious after watching him as the doctor in Brassic kept watching his eyes to see if he was looking at ladies knees
Old 23rd November 2023, 12:26 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Watched the first episode of The Wire on Saturday I loved it. Took me a bit to take the main detective serious after watching him as the doctor in Brassic kept watching his eyes to see if he was looking at ladies knees
For my money, The Wire is one of the top five greatest TV shows ever made. Dominic West and Idris Elba have extremely convincing American accents and are brilliant as McNulty and Stringer Bell, respectively, and the supporting cast of actors like Frankie Faison, Deirdre Lovejoy, Wendell Pierce, Lance Reddick, Chris Bauer, Amy Ryan, Clarke Peters, and Michael K. Williams is extremely strong.

Because the five seasons have different focuses, from drug dealing to smuggling, the media to the education system, means it never becomes 'samey' or formulaic, and the writing, mostly by David Simon and Ed Burns, is superb: powerful, funny, and thought-provoking.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 2nd December 2023, 11:20 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

With two episodes to go i'm absolutely loving the first series of The Frankenstein Chronicles (2015).

Sean Bean plays Marlott, a London detective attempting to unravel why children keep turning up dead with various parts of their bodies removed and others attached in their place and why one corpse is made up of the body parts of eight missing children.

This is excellent. It takes the Frankenstein story and gives it a whole new twist incorporating the struggles of Victorian London giving the six part series a feel of Dickens, perhaps more so than Mary Shelley.

Bean is in great form at the top of a fine cast including Vanessa Kirby, Anna Maxwell Martin and Richie Campbell. It's gritty stuff and utterly compelling with it.

I did smile to myself when Marlott told another character he'd fought Napoleon at Waterloo. Could Marlott be Richard Sharpe in later life? He certainly looks like him.

I picked up this Blu-ray for a quid at the local Air Ambulance shop months and months ago. Glad i held off watching it as it's perfect Dickensian Christmas horror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81AGI5uc1WL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg (82.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 7th December 2023, 08:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Santa Clauses: Season 2

The gang is back and this time Santa is pushing his Son to become the new Santa but he is slightly incompetent, his Daughter is learning to become a Witch and can listen to Animals and a Mad Santa along with his head Gnome are freed from being a Nutcracker Toy. They then plot to take over Christmas.

I really loved this Season, it was so fun and entertaining with great performances especially from Eric Stonestreet (Mad Santa) and the girl who played Olga The Gnome.

Again there are references to the Films and hopefully there's a 3rd Season.
Old 11th December 2023, 08:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Bill: Bits and Pieces. A human hand found in a dumpster sends Uniform on a wild goose chase round a local estate. This 96 episode turns out to be a very funny episode with a great sense of gallows humour, and is also - bizarrely - completely stolen by a random guestie in the college roommate of the girl who knows where the hand originated, who is so cute and charming she walks off with the episode (and Nick Slater's heart ). Very fun.
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 12th December 2023, 06:35 AM
Cult Acolyte

I'm rewatching Smallville atm, just started s2. Haven't seen these for 20 years. Not bad. Passable Buffy ripoff with Superman lol For season 2 they've deleted the dullard Whitney and replaced him as a regular with the great John Glover as Lionel Luthor, which is a massive trade-up and no mistake. Pete is still clinging on somehow though. They've clearly tried to help his character by letting him in on Clark's secret, but he's still no more interesting. I think the actor is just weak tbh.
To be fair, Smallville was mediocre against the shows it was competing with at the time but looks like a work of positive genius compared to 2023 television.
Old 12th December 2023, 11:00 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I'm rewatching Smallville atm, just started s2. Haven't seen these for 20 years. Not bad. Passable Buffy ripoff with Superman lol For season 2 they've deleted the dullard Whitney and replaced him as a regular with the great John Glover as Lionel Luthor, which is a massive trade-up and no mistake. Pete is still clinging on somehow though. They've clearly tried to help his character by letting him in on Clark's secret, but he's still no more interesting. I think the actor is just weak tbh.
To be fair, Smallville was mediocre against the shows it was competing with at the time but looks like a work of positive genius compared to 2023 television.
For the first two or three series it was definitely villain of the week stuff but i felt it improved massively after that and became one of my real favourites.

They seemed to overlook the story line where Chloe gets involved with sex trafficking though.
iank likes this.
Old 12th December 2023, 07:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

lol That is still so weird.

Like this? Share it using the links below!