Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179933Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2014, 07:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The thing (1982)

One of the few remakes that is actually better than the original, the special effects are still amazing after all these years and just shows how effects like this are superior to cgi. Nothing else I can say that has not already been said about this classic. 10/10

Next up Hellraiser inferno wonder how good or bad this one will be.
Old 12th May 2014, 08:15 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

Toxic waste washes up on the shoreline of some land that Joan Collins hope to sell to some potential buyers. It's not long before the party are attacked by giant ants. On the run from the ants and many of the party being killed, they find that they are being herded in the direction the ants want them to go. The survivors manage to make their way to civilization but the townsfolk are acting strange and things are not as they seem......
Enjoyable monster movie from 1977. Animatronic, magnification and rear projection techniques bring the giant ants to the screen. The result is not always good but the film rattles along at a nice pace and there is always someone in the group that you can't wait to be killed. Fans of giant bug movies should check this out. It gets a bad rap but if you like your movies B, then this is for you.

I feel old, I saw this at the pictures on it's original release.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 12th May 2014, 09:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hellraiser inferno

Really enjoyed this, we have Craig Sheffer ( night breed ) as a corrupt cop investigating a murder. We have a interesting story that relies more on psychology horror than gore. Sheffer gives a good performance and the film reminds me of films like angel heart. The only big downside is it shouldn't of been a Hellraiser film at all.

a 7/10 but easily could of been a 8 or 8.5 if it had nothing to do with Hellraiser and had just been it's own film.

I do think adding pinhead and the box did more harm than good, as people expected a film more inline with the previous films and unfairly didn't give the film a chance to stand on its own merits.

Last edited by trebor8273; 13th May 2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12th May 2014, 10:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Wrestling Women vs The Aztec Mummy (1964)

The last survivor of an archeological expedition to Mexico calls upon a troupe of female wrestlers to protect him from ruthless villain the Red Dragon, who is also after the Aztec treasure. After mucho wrestling everyone ends up at the Aztec temple and the wrestlers fight the Aztec mummy.

This film from famous Mexican director Rene Cardona is as loopy as it sounds. The mummy is seemingly more vampire than mummy as it can turn into bats and other creatures, whilst also being quite a nifty wrestler too. The story is a lot of fun, which is slowed only by the wrestling scenes in the first third which seem to go on forever, yet surprisingly the film has decent rewatch value to it. However if the title turns you away then it's probably not for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrestling-women-aztec-mummy.jpg (74.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 13th May 2014, 02:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched thirty three mins of Zombie Nightmare and then I switched off...literally. It was just awful. Even the supplementary material could not make up for the shite that went before it
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th May 2014, 06:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

idle hands

enjoyable horror comedy about a teenage stoner whose hand gets possessed by a demon and goes on a gorey and darkly funny killing spree. only downside is i found the main character a little annoying, but thankfully this is made up by his two friends (one played by seth green) who are by far the best thing in the movie. we also have a young jessica alba as the love interest 9/10

now watching taking of beverly hills which have not seen before but really enjoying.
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th May 2014, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched Forbidden Planet, well what I can say is that it was fantastic. Probably one of my favourite sci fi films, the sheer thought put into it. The design of Robby the robot was sweet.
Old 14th May 2014, 07:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nightbreed

A flawed but very enjoyable film, do think it was made at a time when the technology wasn't there for Clive's vision if had been made today I think we would of had a whole different movie (also less studio interference would help). Can't wait to see the cabal cut later this year. 7.5/10

Galaxy quest

Fantastic spoof of Star Trek and probably the best Star Trek film ever made. We have the a group of aliens that actually believe that transmissions of a short lived sci fi show is real and have built the ship from the show and recruit the crew from the show who the aliens believe to be as brave and heroic as on the show. How wrong they are they can't stand each other especially the captain( Tim Allen who's character is definitely based of William shatner) Great comedy and special effects and nods to Star Trek . And sigourney weaver super hot in this. 10/10

Edit

Next up lost highway , is this as confusing and as weird as the reviews on amazon make it about to be?

Last edited by trebor8273; 14th May 2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 14th May 2014, 07:38 PM
Cult Master

DVD 2D_FILTH.jpg

An outstanding film really loved it. James McAvoy was fantastic his constant switching between emotions amazed me one moment he was the model detective the next a crazed coke addict then in the blink of an eye a weeping tormented mess from start to finish a really intense performance.

Id rather not go into detail about the film its better to go in blind it just needs to be experienced.
Old 14th May 2014, 08:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Next up lost highway , is this as confusing and as weird as the reviews on amazon make it about to be?
Yes, and it's terrifying so make sure you watch it at night.

Like this? Share it using the links below!