Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179933Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st October 2015, 04:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched the enforcer last night not the Clint Eastwood one but the one with Humphrey Bogart in, also known as Murder Inc. I had never seen it before and thought it was fantastic, very gritty for its time. He is the District Attorney trying to fry in the chair a big criminal that is very cleverly and slowly revealed throughout the film, not his name but what he is and what he is guilty of. For me the story must of been controversial for its day and is perfect for a remake today. Apparently this was one of the first films that introduced the terms 'hitman' and 'contract'? No romantic sub-plot which is another odd element from 1951, just fast paced, gripping film-noir. Recommended. On Netflix by the way.

The-Enforcer-1951-Theatrical-Poster-Courtesy-of.jpg

The_Enforcer_1951.JPG

Last edited by profondo rosso; 21st October 2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 21st October 2015, 06:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Behind The Planet of the Apes (1998)

Don't usually watch the extras on discs but this was fascinating!
Old 21st October 2015, 10:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Crimson Peak (2015) - 5.5/10

A lot of stuff didn't seem to make sense and was a bit stupid, and Del Toro repeated things we've already seen in The Devil's Backbone. Nice production design and costumes, though!
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 22nd October 2015, 08:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Knock Knock

I watched this with a couple of mates, pizza and beer, which is probably appropriate given the calibre of the film! The plot revolves around a middle class, middle aged man (Keanu Reeves) whose wife and kids go away for the weekend, leaving him to his own devices ... that is, until 2 nubile young women turn up on his doorstep, having apparently been dropped off at the wrong address by the taxi (bloody Uber, Russell Brand had it right!!) One thing leads to another and Reeves seems to be having a smashing time until things turn a little sour and the girls aren't quite all they seem.

In truth, this isn't terrible and the plot does keep you guessing (at least for a while anyway) but, given his reputation and sporadic output, I think we have the right to expect more from Eli Roth. The dialogue is clunky to the point of being cringe-inducing, which is particularly damaging since this is actually quite talky and low on action in the first half and as expected, Keanu Reeves is awful. On the positive side, as I said earlier, there are enough twists and turns to keep this relatively interesting and it does at least try to 'say something'. The main 'message', though, is fairly cynical and appears to be that all men, no matter how seemingly loyal and family-orientated, are ultimately sexually weak and corruptible when given the opportunity. The characterisation of the 2 girls seems a bit confused in my view and I wasn't really 100% sure on their motivation or what they were really trying to achieve!

The film has a straight-to-video look and almost plays out like an Odyssey daytime TV Movie in parts!! Having said all this, though, this is actually quite good fun and it is especially gratifying to watch Mr Reeves trying to do things like convey emotion, especially with some of the aforementioned awful dialogue, I just expected a bit more. 5/10
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

With all latest going on about back to future there been alsorts of this that and other things about it on the internet.
Robert zemeckis said there will never be a remake and if anyone tries to do a remake he will go all out to stop it
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/back...bert-zemeckis/

In all fairness i agree. I detest remakes because their getting over killed and to many. Odd one two here and there fine but thats all down to what and who directing it. After all wes craven directed his remakes.
Some film should be left alone and not even thought about remakes, im suprised with amount remakes these days exorcist hasnt been done.
But imo thats a good thing prime eg of films that shouldnt be touched as a remake.
keirarts and iank like this.
Old 23rd October 2015, 12:21 AM
Cult Acolyte

Good for him. What on Earth would be the point? There's nothing stopping anyone from doing time travel movies but what possible need is there to remake BTTF? You can't replicate that kind of lighting in a bottle by committee, and are pretty much 100% guaranteed to fail spectacularly. Leave the 80s alone ffs - just go back and watch the movies, they're still better than 99% of the crap that comes out nowadays!
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 23rd October 2015, 05:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Good for him. What on Earth would be the point? There's nothing stopping anyone from doing time travel movies but what possible need is there to remake BTTF? You can't replicate that kind of lighting in a bottle by committee, and are pretty much 100% guaranteed to fail spectacularly. Leave the 80s alone ffs - just go back and watch the movies, they're still better than 99% of the crap that comes out nowadays!
Like the last paragraph, when i say that to people they just tell me to shut up i dont know what im talking about, I 100% agree honestly think for years most films are rubbish crap etc.
Years ago i took ages in deciding what to watch because so many films took my fancy. And i went cinema quite often.
Now im opposite way round i cant decide what to watch because barely owt takes my fancy. And last time i went cinema was raid 2.
Yes there is some good film out there, but the standard is so bad that even that half of what we enjoy isnt that good its just good compared to whats on offer, and thats why i like site like these so resort a lot from word off mouth as well, for ones that slip the net.
Give me old films from years ago anyday,
Years ago the film was all about the story, suspense atmopshere, music etc etc
Now its all about as much crash bang wallop, explosions, big name stars, cgi, huge budget, that a lot of times they forget the real ingrediants as mentioned above
Ive watched films that offered just that and i was bored senseless, and watched films that where slow and didnt offer much going on but where really good
Imo thats why j horror become so popular because they got it right and gave you what you want, good story, atmosphere, tension etc etc without even resorting to bucket loads or ott violence and gore.
or im ijust getting old and not apreciating films nowadays??
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by gag; 23rd October 2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 23rd October 2015, 06:43 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Like the last paragraph, when i say that to people they just tell me to shut up i dont know what im talking about, I 100% agree honestly think for years most films are rubbish crap etc.
Years ago i took ages in deciding what to watch because so many films took my fancy. And i went cinema quite often.
Now im opposite way round i cant decide what to watch because barely owt takes my fancy. And last time i went cinema was raid 2.
Yes there is some good film out there, but the standard is so bad that even that half of what we enjoy isnt that good its just good compared to whats on offer, and thats why i like site like these so resort a lot from word off mouth as well, for ones that slip the net.
Give me old films from years ago anyday,
Years ago the film was all about the story, suspense atmopshere, music etc etc
Now its all about as much crash bang wallop, explosions, big name stars, cgi, huge budget, that a lot of times they forget the real ingrediants as mentioned above
Ive watched films that offered just that and i was bored senseless, and watched films that where slow and didnt offer much going on but where really good
Imo thats why j horror become so popular because they got it right and gave you what you want, good story, atmosphere, tension etc etc without even resorting to bucket loads or ott violence and gore.
or im ijust getting old and not apreciating films nowadays??
Thing is, a terrible piece of shit like Annabelle makes a fortune, and something with a bit more class, thats not all about jump scares like Crimson peak fails spectacularly. Where's the incentive for Hollywood?
In the good old days, films that bombed had the opportunity to succeed on home video, however that sort of second chance is fading somewhat courtesy of streaming and downloading.

EDIT: Would also mention Sicario which was a great film.
Old 23rd October 2015, 08:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Thing is, a terrible piece of shit like Annabelle makes a fortune, and something with a bit more class, thats not all about jump scares like Crimson peak fails spectacularly. Where's the incentive for Hollywood?
In the good old days, films that bombed had the opportunity to succeed on home video, however that sort of second chance is fading somewhat courtesy of streaming and downloading.

EDIT: Would also mention Sicario which was a great film.
I know we all disagree on Downlaoding but be honest reason why people do it is because if you was a family and three 3kids it would literaly cost a arm and leg to take them, 5people prices food etc you be easily talking round £50 mark. I know quite a few people who like to go cinema but wont and are put off by the prices, Like owt else years ago it was all about the fun experience of watching it on big screen. Now is all about raking in money, lets be fair if they brought the prices down to eg say £5 more people would go and more often, and think about it if more people went fuller screen showings instead of half empty or of 5ppl actual meams more money would be made, i once went with my ex wife and there was 2 other people. I certainty would go more often for sure.
And as for the food prices i for certain would never buy anything sneak my own pop and bag of sweets for a £1 from poundland or somewhere.
MacBlayne, keirarts and Graeme73 like this.
Old 23rd October 2015, 08:12 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
And as for the food prices i for certain would never buy anything sneak my own pop and bag of sweets for a £1 from poundland or somewhere.
That's the best part of going to the cinema nowadays - sneaking in sweets and a drink. You feel like a regular Solid Snake going in.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!