Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2012, 05:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBo View Post
Dual Layer DVDs usually takes up about 8GB, so 12.2GB is pretty low. 15.6 kbps is also pretty low. DVDs can have max 10 kbps. I think the screencaptures looks mostly good, but it would have looked improved if both films took up more GB and had higher bitrate. They probably didn` use 50GB discs or a second disc because it would cost more money.
Yeah, I haven´t seen a Blu-Ray with a bitrate this low since the US BD of the original "Black Christmas", that has an horrible amount of artifacts throughout the entire movie, kinda looking like an Xvid.

But, as I mentioned above, it might not be as bad as it sounds since most people still seems positive. Though I wonder what size their screens are, as these things aren´t that noticable on 32-40 inch screens.

They could easly have saved a lot of money for 50gb discs if they didn´t release the steelbook.
Extras are fun, but if it´s at the expense of the quality of the movie itself, then it´s a HUGE no-no.
robertzombie likes this.
Old 6th May 2012, 05:59 PM
Cultist

Warner Brothers early BDs like for example Out For Justice used only 10.764 GB for the film and had an average of 14 in bitrate. They are guilty of having many films with such low bitrate and so little GB for the films + lossy audio.
Old 6th May 2012, 06:01 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
I presume someone has mentioned it already.....
but on another site a review of Arrow's version of DEMONS will unecessarily include 'End of first half' in Italian. er..its not a long film
why is this mentioned on the transfer?
It´s on the original negative, and have been there on some earlier editions as well. After I saw the screenshot of it, I definetaly have seen it before.
I was expecting an intermission where the movie fades to black and have a short pause. But that´s not the case here, so it won´t disturb the flow of the movie, and it´s placed at a fitting place, making it kinda funny
Old 6th May 2012, 06:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBo View Post
Warner Brothers early BDs like for example Out For Justice used only 10.764 GB for the film and had an average of 14 in bitrate. They are guilty of having many films with such low bitrate and so little GB for the films + lossy audio.
Ouch! Now that´s a record so far
At least it doesn´t have heavy filmgrain like "Black Christmas" which takes an extra toll on the encodes, using such a low bitrate.
Old 6th May 2012, 06:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Severin's HORROR EXPRESS is very low too, around 12gb. I suspect that if that's the data size Arrow was able to get from the owners, it was probably mastered low for tv broadcast. Something like a 90-120 min movie broadcast in HD runs about 12gb (at the high end, like something on MGM HD). This is progressive, right?
Old 6th May 2012, 06:19 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
It´s on the original negative, and have been there on some earlier editions as well. After I saw the screenshot of it, I definetaly have seen it before.
I was expecting an intermission where the movie fades to black and have a short pause. But that´s not the case here, so it won´t disturb the flow of the movie, and it´s placed at a fitting place, making it kinda funny
I have the R1 remastered AB dvd of DEMONS and of course its not there
a very bad shame its on the bd
I know its on the Avatar vhs copy but no way should it be on the blu ray, stupid
why Arrow............!!??
Old 6th May 2012, 06:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I'm guessing because it's part of the original presentation? What's the big deal?
Steel76 and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 6th May 2012, 06:32 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
I'm guessing because it's part of the original presentation? What's the big deal?
Ditto. It'll have been on the only available master that Arrow had access to. Y'know, the master they spent over a year trying to find so they could finally debut the film in HD following its initial announcement. Some people are never going to be happy.
Gojirosan and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 6th May 2012, 06:37 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Ditto. It'll have been on the only available master that Arrow had access to. Y'know, the master they spent over a year trying to find so they could finally debut the film in HD following its initial announcement. Some people are never going to be happy.
look at SGM etc and you'll find many who agree with me
and besides are you happy w/every Arrow release?
Old 6th May 2012, 06:40 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
look at SGM etc and you'll find many who agree with me
and besides are you happy w/every Arrow release?

What's SGM?

And no, I have issues with some releases, I'm not a blind fan. But what would you want them to do? Turn down the only available master they had access to and delay the release by another year? The ups and downs of this release have been fairly evident on this forum since it was announced; I just think it's silly to complain about something so trivial which has also been featured on other releases of the film.
Steel76 and fuzzymctiger like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!