All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd July 2012, 03:01 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Attack The Block - 2011 UK d: Joe Cornish

A revisit, this time on Blu-ray. One of the best British films of the last five or so years, in my book. Brilliantly written, superbly performed, paced beautifully, great action scene and really funny. Also deeper themes run throughout, expressed superbly. Unmissable. Bears up to repeated viewing.
I have to say ATTACK THE BLOCK is not funny at all and I wish I hadn't bought it even if it was cheap
Didn't like the character hoodies. esp the 'hero' who was a lowlife
its complete shit compared to the great HOT FUZZ
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 4th July 2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Fixed the quote at the top.
Old 3rd July 2012, 03:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Aw disagree completely, I reall enjoyed Attack the Block! Thought the chemistry between the kids worked well, and had a cool boys own adventure type feel - like an urban Goonies I don't think it was aiming to be an out and out comedy - a sci-fi actioner with comic touches I'd say (but then, I haven't seen Hot Fuzz, so maybe it's a valid comparison) . . .
Old 3rd July 2012, 03:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Hot Fuzz was good, but I prefer Attack The Block. It feels more accomplished and varied. More going on.

The main character was meant to be lowlife as this sets up his growth and redemption as the film progresses. Kind of the point.
Old 3rd July 2012, 03:46 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Hot Fuzz was good, but I prefer Attack The Block. It feels more accomplished and varied. More going on.

The main character was meant to be lowlife as this sets up his growth and redemption as the film progresses. Kind of the point.

i know the point about the scum kid being a hero etc but it just wasn't funny
trashy film
Old 3rd July 2012, 03:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
i know the point about the scum kid being a hero etc but it just wasn't funny
trashy film
1. I'm not sure we were meant to find the main kid's journey from scum to hero funny...?

2. Since when was trashy a bad thing ?
Old 3rd July 2012, 03:53 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
1. I'm not sure we were meant to find the main kid's journey from scum to hero funny...?

2. Since when was trashy a bad thing ?
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:12 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Book of Eli Blu Ray arrived today.

This is a great film. The setting is great and the action is great also. Also anything that has Tom Waits in it no matter how short his time is in it is fine by me.It looks great on Blu Ray.
Gojirosan and pedromonkey like this.
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just got home from Spider-Man.

the film itself wasn't as good as 1 or 2, but this version of Spider-Man is much better. Cocky one-liners and a ton more fun, just like the comics/animated series.
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:56 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just in from the flicks...

Quatermass And The Pit - 1967 UK d: Roy Ward Baker

I swear this film gets better every time I view it. I am now thoroughly convinced that this actually is one of Hammer's greatest achievements. It is also one of the finest remakes/reworkings in cinema history.

I walked out of the cinema pondering if a commercial, mass appeal studio would make such an intelligent and brain requiring bit of SF/horror now, and couldn't even imagine it being tried in the UK.

I can't really find fault with it - except the special effects, but that is a low blow for anyone to go for - and was utterly engrossed. I even felt a chill go down my arms as the famous thing that happens at the end happened. An honest to goodness frisson!

The print was perhaps not quite as razor sharp as that for The Plague Of The Zombies (in which I could make out the different weaves of tweed each character was wearing!) but it did look pretty impressive - if a little pale, which I have now come to expect. There was some noticeable stereo mixing in the poltergeist activity scene in the excavation which was distracting and hinted at some unnecessary tinkering*, but for the most part it sounded fine too.

I have always liked this film a lot. Now I love this film. I have a whole new level of respect for it after tonight.

*I have no idea if it was actually stereo back in 1967, but the scene in question sounded very "artificial" and the rest of the film and music flat and focused with no obvious separation.
SharonLynette and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 4th July 2012, 01:02 AM
Active Cultist

Mandragora
Wife Collector
Satan's Little Helper
Beyond The Black Rainbow

Like this? Share it using the links below!