All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th January 2014, 12:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Another fine review post Frankie.

I still can't see me wanting to watch Gosling staring into the distance for two hours, no matter how many on here like Only God Forgives.
Thanks for the feedback, Dem. Re OGF - the weird thing is though, I just wasn't aware of time at all when I was watching it - it's absorbing, but also, despite all the 'ambience', pretty fast paced, I thought. There are a couple of shots of Gosling looking moody, but they don't predominate.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 10th January 2014, 12:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
HIDDEN IN THE WOODS - Chilean nasty which has two sisters and their deformed brother hiding out in, yep, some woods in an attempt to evade drug dealing gangsters. It's quite intense and oppressive, filmed in tight, close sequences, and moves along pretty quickly and gorily. Is it being remade in America or something? If so, I bet they handle some uncomfortable aspects (ie relationship between bad dad and his daughters) with slightly more 'tenderness'. If you're up for something sleazy and unremittingly brutal (which I imagine you possibly are), then 'Hidden In The Woods' delivers.

The American remake of HIDDEN IN THE WOODS is being directed by Patricio Valladares who is the director as the original movie so hopefully the sleaze won't be toned down.
The new movie stars Michael Biehn and William Forsythe and is due for release later this year and i am sort of looking forward to watching it.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 10th January 2014, 01:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Women in Cell Block 7 (1973).

Apparently Women in Cell Block 7 was the very first Italian women in prison film. After watching it it seems clear it wasn't meant to be the start of a new genre of sleaze in Italian cinema as half the film is a crime thriller with many elements of the Poliziotteschi genre.

Starring Anita Strindberg as a woman who goes undercover in a women's prison to find out where a cache of drugs are stashed, Women in Cell Block 7 isn't particularly interesting as a WIP film. Sure there are plenty of soft core fumblings, none featuring Strindberg i might add, and lower levels of depravity than we would become used to in the genre, but it is the story outside the prison that is by far the most fun.

Its here where we get the most action - murder, corruption and a breathtaking car chase through tiny streets and a picturesque coastal road.

Not a film i can exactly recommend but i found it enjoyable even though the picture quality on the UK dvd from Blackhorse Entertainment is poor. Somehow peering through a screen of washed out bleeding colours adds to the experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg (JamieF-SAS)__WomenInCellBlock7(belgian)1.jpg (102.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 10th January 2014, 01:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

[QUOTE=Frankie Teardrop;386622]THE PURGE - I approached this with caution following some negative reviews, which tended to accuse the film of doing little with its central idea (ie every year, America suspends the legal process and all 'crime' goes unpunished) beyond laying on a standard home invasion scenario. There's some truth in this, but I thought 'The Purge' was very effective and enjoyable, providing suspense and a satisfying whack of violence in place of truly engaging social commentary (which it seems to want to attempt, but like may mainstream efforts, it hedges and bungles when it comes to the cards on the table). Maybe it's not a "Death Race 2000" type critique of American brutality - a broader canvas and steelier resolve would've helped - but as far as multiplex exploitation goes, you could do way worse.

Problem I had with the purge is the concept and idea of everyone having the chance to do what they wanted for one night without any comeback was something new and fresh and a good idea that could have delivered so much but failed, don't get me wrong I highly enjoyed the film it was good but just ended up going into the concept of you've seen it all before ..

Last Vegas saw this at pics this week it just a light hearted humour that I quite enjoyed with a few good laughs as long as you don't take it to seriously and don't expect to much or being The hangover for oap ..

ATM not a good film but not a bad film either , the acting and film itself was very good and well made with the right ingredients atmospher, tension etc only downfall was the storyline was plain daft stupid and could have been so much better, film about 3 people go to a ATM machine inside a glass box but end up being terrorised by one bloke, there was so many things they could have done but went down the daft route eg when the killer was round the back breaking the wall they all could have ran even if it was in different directions that way if the killer was to chase them he only catch one, but they chose to stay put and wonder what he was up to, and when one ran for it and got attacked, other two later on escaped but instead of making a run for it they run to their friend and drag him back in, a worth watch but daft storyline and plot .
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 10th January 2014, 01:23 PM
Cult Addict

THE HOLE. Joe Dante's kiddy horror film is pretty good stuff as two teenagers and a preteen battle J-Horror ghosts and their own fears that escape from a hole in their basement. The ending is slightly rushed and not fully worked out but overall this is a good film with the flavour of Dante's earlier work "Explorers" hanging over it. Recommended.
Old 10th January 2014, 02:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I saw an advert for Dial M for Murder in our local theater as me and the fiancee enjoy that sort of thing but i had no idea what the story was about. so i watched it. The film was brilliant, a perfect movie to get a fresh Hitchcock newbies into his film catalog i think. my only problem was the super quick ending with the massive leap of faith of a certain character trying to resolve a big problem. It has re-watch value and i recommend it to folks who haven't seen it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poster-dial-m-for-murder1.jpg (30.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 10th January 2014, 03:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Wicked Lake (2008).

If the idea of a half naked man in suspension bondage, wearing a pink negligee, having a large black dildo forced down his throat whilst slowly having chunks of his torso bitten away isn't your idea of horror then Wicked Lake in all its depraved glory probably isn't for you.

Wicked Lake
is an I Spit on Your Grave style revenge horror. The difference being the initial victims, four pretty girls, are actually lesbian witches who allow themselves to be degredated by two sets of yobs before exacting bloody revenge in the goriest manor. The film is a grubby piece of work and no one is exactly likeable. The film makers obviously wanted to reference films such as the aforementioned I Spit on Your Grave, The Last House on The Left and House on the Edge of the Park and i think they achieved it. Wicked Lake isn't a pleasant viewing experience for the most part but it has a sense of humour, even though it remainds hidden for much of the time. Obviously made on a shoestring budget, the film is helped along by a top soundtrack of Ministry murdering the life out of rock classics such as Radar Love and others, although if like me you have their Cover Up album the songs won't be new to you.

This was my second watch of the film and i enjoyed it more this time than my previous flirtation with it as i knew what i was letting myself in for. It's no August Underground production but it is a mean spirited film with many scenes of depraved violence.

The packed dvd from Shriek Show comes with a second EP of Ministry songs and a third disc of trailers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iBRtQoONI2I9Y0DwZ2Gv5BEX2lq.jpg (81.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 10th January 2014, 06:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

Original Double Bill Night...

Watching Cronenberg while drinking Kronenberg. Truly excellent double bill.
Old 10th January 2014, 06:47 PM
Cult Addict

Both films are good but Shivers is one of my favourite Cronenbergs.
Mojo likes this.
Old 10th January 2014, 06:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Both films are good but Shivers is one of my favourite Cronenbergs.
It's brilliant. WHERE'S THE BLU-RAY?!!!!

Like this? Share it using the links below!