All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179635Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th January 2014, 03:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Ghosts of Sherwood. (2012).

Don't be fooled by the great poster. This film is nothing like what you see below in the artwork.

I honestly cannot remember the last time i saw a film as bad as this. A German production with a decent budget, Ghosts of Sherwood is both boring and embarrassing to watch. Lets start with the pacing. At practically two hours its far too long, worst of all it has several ten minute plus sections of Robin talking to people, most mind bendingly dull is a chat with Marian in the first half hour about how the outlaws survive in the woods. It goes on and on and on.... Its then you notice another major problem. The film is dubbed. Badly. With some of the worst voice talents i've ever heard. Not English dubbed though, as you would think the films intended market to be, but American drawl. It becomes downright infuriating to hear everyone pronounce Nottingham as Nort-ing-hem.

The producers even managed to attract a couple of horror actors in Tom Savini and Kane Hodder. Quite why these two still get work is beyond me as they prove time and time again to be no better actors than you or me. Both "stars" performances want to make you curl up and start gibbering in a corner.

As previously mentioned the film clearly had some money thrown at it as some of the location work in the woods and castles is quite good, however the same cannot be said of the costumes. The Sheriff of Nortinghem's guards all seemed to be wearing white pyjamas and tea towels instead of the usual chainmail. Although the film boasts many extras, they aren't really noticed in the terribly directed and choreographed fight scenes......

Oh forget it. Ghosts of Sherwood is f**king excruciating viewing. Its not even laughably bad. Please don't waste your time with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robin-hood-ghosts-of-sherwood-2012.jpg (90.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 11th January 2014, 03:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Ghosts of Sherwood. (2012).
When i think about it, i don't remember any horror elements whatsoever either.
Old 11th January 2014, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Maniac cop

A great slasher with a twist, instead of the usual mad man killing annoying teenagers. Instead we Have a Matt Cordell a disgraced cop on a killing spree. Genre stalwarts Bruce Campbell and Tom Atkins are two of the main leads. Cordell is one of my favourite horror monsters. We also have a great score by jay chatteraway.
8/10

Maniac cop 2

This continues straight after the first, the two survivors are dispatched within the first half hour by your undead cop. Which is a good thing as the character of detective Sean McKinney played by Robert davi is introduced and found his character a lot more interesting than Campbell's . McKinney is join by Susan Riley played by the lovely Claudia Christian to trying stop our cop dispensing his own special form of justice. Picture quality on this one is a huge improvement over the first. Only negative is the awful rap song which spoils the wonderful score. 9/10

Assault on prescient 13

First time seeing this and enjoyed it a lot, not hard to see how it's compared to rio brava and night of the living dead. Some great acting and a fantastic score. A very tense and chilling film, that will be getting more viewings. Shows how john carpenter is one of my favourite directors. I do remember hearing some of the music used in a game. But can't remember it's name. 9/10

Now watching dark night of the scarecrow. What nasty and despicable person Charles durning character is. Let's hope he get what he deserves
Old 11th January 2014, 07:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

A masterpiece.
Old 11th January 2014, 07:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Maniac cop

I do remember hearing some of the music used in a game. But can't remember it's name. 9/10
The Bitmap Brothers Xenon 2. The classic late 80's shoot-em-up.
oaxaca likes this.
Old 11th January 2014, 07:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
The Bitmap Brothers Xenon 2. The classic late 80's shoot-em-up.
Thanks.

Dark night of the scarecrow

What a fantastic and atmospheric movie, even though it's a TV movie it's a million times more atmospheric and chilling than a lot of multi million dollar movies. Great acting and direction and great eerie score. So glad I've bought this will be getting many more viewings a hidden gem. Fantastic 9.5/10

Don't know what to watch next might watch another movie I've not seen before spirits of the dead.

Last edited by trebor8273; 11th January 2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11th January 2014, 08:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I watched Zombie Flesh Eaters last night. This time with the Alan Jones/Stephen Thrower commentary track. To be honest I have tended to avoid the Alan Jones commentaries as he comes across as being a bit up his own arse at Fright Fest. But here he actually does a good job as Thrower's wing-man.

Today I continued the Arrow binge with more Bava in the form of A Bay of Blood followed by some grind house exploitation in the form of The Exterminator. I also found time to go out to the local cinema for a dose of Ben Stiller's The Secret Life of Walter Mitty which rather unexpectedly I really enjoyed. It's perhaps a little bit too sentimental but serves as a very good palette cleanser.
Old 11th January 2014, 10:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Hobbit unexpected journey.

love or hate these films you got to give credit to how spectacular, and well made these films are , but sorry I always seem to have a small gripe with these type of films petty as it may .
1 cant believe the journey they had and battles they where in how not even one of them died
2 after they all got stuck up the trees before battle why didnt bilbo baggins put the ring on to make himself invisible and then start slaying the orcs.

Even tho they are small gripes films like these are fantastic in every sense.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 12th January 2014, 12:14 AM
Cult Addict

ghost.jpg

Been wanting to watch this for a while, a 70's british ghost story, filmed in India that i quite liked.
Kind of reminiscent of an of BBC ghost story, set in an old house with three old school 'mates', set in 1930's England. One of them invites the others to spend a weekend and when they arrive spooky stuff ensues.
Quite slow and talky to begin with, but soon one of the guests starts experiencing flashbacks to the past, centred around a creepy doll and involving previous inhabitants of the house, implied incest and madness, which in turn leads to quite effective scenes in an old nearby asylum.
Features Penelope keith, Marianne Faithful, Barbara Shelley, a creepy lookin bloke who was a priest in 'The Devils' and the only major movie role for the bloke who Withnail from 'Withnail and i' was based on.
All in all i quite enjoyed it, very 70's and the setting kinda reminded me of 'The Ghoul', some good creepy moments.
8/10 for the asylum and doll scenes.
Old 12th January 2014, 03:03 AM
Cult Addict

rivers edge.jpeg

River's Edge

Watched this tonight with my daughter,it's a film i've always liked since i first saw it on Vhs but is a film that is largely forgotten.
Directed by Tim Hunter who also directed some episodes of Twin Peaks, and it's easy to see why he was chosen for that job after seeing the parallels in this film.
Basically a teenager kills his girlfriend and leaves her dead body at the river's edge then arrives at school and calmly tells his friends what he has done.
Unbelieving at first they accompany him to see the corpse, what follows is why i find the film so interesting.
Instead of reporting him straight away to the police, the friends are divided and don't know what to do.
Keanu Reeves is one of the main characters and this is one of the few films in which i don't find him annoying, one of his first roles he seems genuine as one of the only teenagers who realise the horror and informs on his friend.
This also stars Crispin Glover in another one of his bizarre performances as a friend of the killer who wants to protect and support him, Glover's performance is really entertaining and quite funny as he tells everyone not to panic but does exactly that.
Add to this Reeves crazy delinquent 12 year old brother(the weird kid from Near Dark) and Dennis Hoppers dopehead, paranoid, blow up doll obsessed performance and the result is a pretty strange brew.
The film is chilling in how the kids react (and in some cases don't react to the death of a friend), and i find it absorbing,disturbing but also entertaining.
For me 9/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!