Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th January 2014, 07:26 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Attachment 128204

River's Edge

Watched this tonight with my daughter,it's a film i've always liked since i first saw it on Vhs but is a film that is largely forgotten.
Directed by Tim Hunter who also directed some episodes of Twin Peaks, and it's easy to see why he was chosen for that job after seeing the parallels in this film.
Basically a teenager kills his girlfriend and leaves her dead body at the river's edge then arrives at school and calmly tells his friends what he has done.
Unbelieving at first they accompany him to see the corpse, what follows is why i find the film so interesting.
Instead of reporting him straight away to the police, the friends are divided and don't know what to do.
Keanu Reeves is one of the main characters and this is one of the few films in which i don't find him annoying, one of his first roles he seems genuine as one of the only teenagers who realise the horror and informs on his friend.
This also stars Crispin Glover in another one of his bizarre performances as a friend of the killer who wants to protect and support him, Glover's performance is really entertaining and quite funny as he tells everyone not to panic but does exactly that.
Add to this Reeves crazy delinquent 12 year old brother(the weird kid from Near Dark) and Dennis Hoppers dopehead, paranoid, blow up doll obsessed performance and the result is a pretty strange brew.
The film is chilling in how the kids react (and in some cases don't react to the death of a friend), and i find it absorbing,disturbing but also entertaining.
For me 9/10
Superb film, apparently based on a true story!

Went off to Blackpool. Found a bunch of studio Ghibli dvd's in a charity shop for a quid a go. Got my Del boy hat on and went down to the local CEX where on an outlay of £8 I got over £40 trade!

Used some of it to get THE WOLVERINE.

I had mixed feelings coming in to the film. X-men, X2 and First Class are all great but Brett Ratner's awful third film and the origional wolverine film were both colossal turds.

Glad to say this is more on the side of First class et al.

( I should say now I picked up the 3d release with the extended cut on it)

It's a well crafted and entertaining affair with a surprising amount of bone crunching violence as Logan heads to Japan to meet a man he saved in WW2 and gets involved in a corporate conspiracy that involves Yakuza, Ninjas and a big robot. Thor dark world was still the best superhero film of last year (followed closely by Iron man 3) but i'm hoping that this film represents a continued upturn in quality for the x-men franchise.

The fact that you have to buy the expensive 3D edition to get the extended cut is frankly disgusting though so I'm glad I bought this one second hand. Will get Thor brand new.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 12th January 2014, 10:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just fresh from a screening of White Zombie, the first of a number of Bela Lugosi poverty row films I have lined up in preparation for reading Arthur Lenning's Lugosi biog The Immortal Count, and Gary Rhoads' No Traveler Returns: The Lost Years of Bela Lugosi. These Poverty Row films can be a grind to sit thru so I've put a call into the very knowledgeable folks over at the Classic Horror Film Board about what titles are best to track down before I dive into the books. If anyone here can recommend a title, preferably one of Lugosi's more obscure films, I'd be eternal grateful...

Old 12th January 2014, 10:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Just fresh from a screening of White Zombie, the first of a number of Bela Lugosi poverty row films I have lined up in preparation for reading Arthur Lenning's Lugosi biog The Immortal Count, and Gary Rhoads' No Traveler Returns: The Lost Years of Bela Lugosi. These Poverty Row films can be a grind to sit thru so I've put a call into the very knowledgeable folks over at the Classic Horror Film Board about what titles are best to track down before I dive into the books. If anyone here can recommend a title, preferably one of Lugosi's more obscure films, I'd be eternal grateful...

Not sure if this is what your looking for but i have a soft spot for Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla,warning Duke Mitchell, Sammy Petrillo are about as funny as fire in an orphanage,but a great b movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51VHJMFMXBL.jpg (59.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 12th January 2014, 10:58 AM
Cult Rookie

keirarts likes this.
Old 12th January 2014, 11:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondadoronron View Post
Not sure if this is what your looking for but i have a soft spot for Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla,warning Duke Mitchell, Sammy Petrillo are about as funny as fire in an orphanage,but a great b movie.
That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for Ron, thanks. That will be added to the sketchy list, I've put together, the backbone of it made up of the so-called Monogram Nine - a group of low budget films that Lugosi made for producer Sam Katzman at Monogram during the 40s. So, currently trying to source best versions I can from the Internet Archive and youtube, at least its something to do on a very wet Sunday afternoon...

The Monogram Nine

Voodoo Man
Ape Man
Return of the Ape Man
Invisible Ghost
The Corpse Vanishes
The Bowery at Midnight
The Black Dragons
Spooks Run Wild
Ghosts on the Loose
Old 12th January 2014, 11:07 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default psychiatrist

Quote:
That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for Ron, thanks. That will be added to the sketchy list, I've put together, the backbone of it made up of the so-called Monogram Nine - a group of low budget films that Lugosi made for producer Sam Katzman at Monogram during the 40s. So, currently trying to source best versions I can from the Internet Archive and youtube, at least its something to do on a very wet Sunday afternoon...

The Monogram Nine

Voodoo Man
Ape Man
Return of the Ape Man
Invisible Ghost
The Corpse Vanishes
The Bowery at Midnight
The Black Dragons
Spooks Run Wild
Ghosts on the Loose
Sounds like a great idea,although in my head your strapped to a chair with your eyes pinned opened ala A Clockwork Orange,and im sure MTDS could recomend a psychiatrist when experiment is over.
Make Them Die Slowly and Wes like this.
Old 12th January 2014, 11:08 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Superb film, apparently based on a true story!

Went off to Blackpool. Found a bunch of studio Ghibli dvd's in a charity shop for a quid a go. Got my Del boy hat on and went down to the local CEX where on an outlay of £8 I got over £40 trade!

Used some of it to get THE WOLVERINE.

I had mixed feelings coming in to the film. X-men, X2 and First Class are all great but Brett Ratner's awful third film and the origional wolverine film were both colossal turds.

Glad to say this is more on the side of First class et al.

( I should say now I picked up the 3d release with the extended cut on it)

It's a well crafted and entertaining affair with a surprising amount of bone crunching violence as Logan heads to Japan to meet a man he saved in WW2 and gets involved in a corporate conspiracy that involves Yakuza, Ninjas and a big robot. Thor dark world was still the best superhero film of last year (followed closely by Iron man 3) but i'm hoping that this film represents a continued upturn in quality for the x-men franchise.

The fact that you have to buy the expensive 3D edition to get the extended cut is frankly disgusting though so I'm glad I bought this one second hand. Will get Thor brand new.
Assuming you didn't have them,I would have kept the Ghibli's.
Old 12th January 2014, 12:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

'Black Christmas' - such a class act. Great script, direction and performances, especially Saxon and Hussey. Tense as f*#k, this is THE slasher film, with only 'Halloween' coming close in my opinion. Though I'm not sure it is a slasher, or just horror? - not that it matters.
Would love to see this get a full restoration.
Old 12th January 2014, 04:16 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:

Lovefilm have 36 Bela films! Not sure of the PQ etc but it might be a cheap option...
Old 12th January 2014, 04:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The long good bye

My first Robert Altman movie and enjoyed it a lot. Great acting and a tremendous score. Love all the references to old movies and old movie stars. Did I spot a young Arnie? Gould was amazing as Marlowe and seemed a man out of time, but also oozed cool. Once again another great transfer from arrow. 9.5/10
Rondadoronron likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!