Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179633Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2016, 07:18 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Funnily enough, I watched it for the first time about a month ago and thought it was interesting viewing. Peter Cushing is a very elderly 'Time Lord' who invents the TARDIS and takes his daughter, her boyfriend, and granddaughter on an accidental trip to a planet destroyed by nuclear war.
With all due respect sir, I don't think the term 'Time Lord' is used in either of the 'Doctor Who' films

The character played by Peter Cushing is a human scientist named Dr. Who, who has invented a time/space machine called The TARDIS

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th May 2016, 07:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Wouldn't mind finding out what you thought of these, Keirarts.

The Dytalov pass incident.
WER.
The Lazarus Effect
Sinister 2
Dr Who & the Daleks
Dalek invasion of earth - 2150ad.
Venom (peter sykes)
in fairness its jan-may worth of films...

Dytalov pass - actually quite fun found footage film. Not amazing.
WER - interesting and mostly well realised take on the werewolf myth.
Lazarus effect - shite
Sinister 2 - no where near as good as the first but better than its harsher critics claim
Dr Who and the daleks - Peter cushing as Dr Who, great visual style, terrific blu-ray.
Dalek invasion of earth - better than the first and I really like the first.
Venom - flawed but interesting. Certainly worth a go.
scan back through the thread and reviews for these should be up.
Old 5th May 2016, 08:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
in fairness its jan-may worth of films...

Dytalov pass - actually quite fun found footage film. Not amazing.

Lazarus effect - shite
I was thinking of Blood Glacier not Dyatlov, sorry. I really enjoyed Blood Glacier, but thought Dyatlov was pants.

I rather enjoyed The Lazarus Effect.
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th May 2016, 08:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I was thinking of Blood Glacier not Dyatlov, sorry. I really enjoyed Blood Glacier, but thought Dyatlov was pants.

I rather enjoyed The Lazarus Effect.
I really like Blood glacier

May give Lazarus a second chance at some point.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 5th May 2016, 08:17 PM
Cult Addict

The Witch

A family is banished from their colonial town and head into the wilds of the new world to start up on their own. At this point exile was something of a death sentence however at first the family seem to thrive building up a farm and outhouses. However doom is just around the corner and the family's youngest child vanishes while in the care of the eldest daughter. The family writes it off as wolves snatching the child, however more incidents lead them to believe something more sinister is at play. Gradually they fall prey to religious hysteria and madness... or is something else at play.
I'm going to say right off that I f*****g loved this film. That said I can absolutely understand why some people are put off. Its a film where not a great deal happens, the dialogue is old English and strangely as a northerner I could actually pick it up quite easily but I can imagine that some people not familiar with some of the colloquialisms (that still crop up in conversations I've had with older relatives!) might struggle. The witch is a film thats more about entering the headspace of the characters and following a film that successfully creates a sense of utter dread. I can't guarantee you will like it but I urge you to give it a try.
Old 6th May 2016, 08:51 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The Witch

A family is banished from their colonial town and head into the wilds of the new world to start up on their own. At this point exile was something of a death sentence however at first the family seem to thrive building up a farm and outhouses. However doom is just around the corner and the family's youngest child vanishes while in the care of the eldest daughter. The family writes it off as wolves snatching the child, however more incidents lead them to believe something more sinister is at play. Gradually they fall prey to religious hysteria and madness... or is something else at play.
I'm going to say right off that I f*****g loved this film. That said I can absolutely understand why some people are put off. Its a film where not a great deal happens, the dialogue is old English and strangely as a northerner I could actually pick it up quite easily but I can imagine that some people not familiar with some of the colloquialisms (that still crop up in conversations I've had with older relatives!) might struggle. The witch is a film thats more about entering the headspace of the characters and following a film that successfully creates a sense of utter dread. I can't guarantee you will like it but I urge you to give it a try.
I'm really keen to watch this film and have been since the trailer came out. I've even more keen to watch it now!
keirarts and J Harker like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th May 2016, 10:59 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
With all due respect sir, I don't think the term 'Time Lord' is used in either of the 'Doctor Who' films

The character played by Peter Cushing is a human scientist named Dr. Who, who has invented a time/space machine called The TARDIS
I bow down to your superior knowledge – I haven't seen any of the TV show.

I just used the phrase because I didn't want to keep writing Doctor Who (or Dr. Who) and thought it fit!
Susan Foreman and keirarts like this.
Old 6th May 2016, 07:32 PM
Cult Veteran

I went to see Captain America: Civil War again today, far far better audience this time around and the film was even better!
The pacing is perfect there is not a moment of boredom, the comedy is subtle but still funny enough to be noticeable, the action is really well done and where there is CGI it doesn't look cheap and tacky. I believe a lot of the stunts are real though and not CG.

If you've not seen it yet, please do. As a minimum though you'd need to have seen both of the Avengers movies and both Cap America movies.

Old 6th May 2016, 08:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I went to see Captain America: Civil War again today, far far better audience this time around and the film was even better!
The pacing is perfect there is not a moment of boredom, the comedy is subtle but still funny enough to be noticeable, the action is really well done and where there is CGI it doesn't look cheap and tacky. I believe a lot of the stunts are real though and not CG.

If you've not seen it yet, please do. As a minimum though you'd need to have seen both of the Avengers movies and both Cap America movies.
I may have to give this one a miss because I have three assignments due in 14 days (one is 1500 words, one is 2500 words, and the other 3000 words), so sadly I don't think I can spare the time. Gutted.
Old 6th May 2016, 08:14 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I may have to give this one a miss because I have three assignments due in 14 days (one is 1500 words, one is 2500 words, and the other 3000 words), so sadly I don't think I can spare the time. Gutted.
I feel you, I have an exam in 4 weeks which I don't even know how to revise for and a 6 week project to have finished by 31st May but you have to give yourself a brain rest day every now and then or your work will suffer!

Like this? Share it using the links below!