Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2009, 11:05 PM
Ex-member

"Kiss, Kiss, Bang Bang"

A damn mini masterpiece!
Funny, exciting, surreal and dramatic mixture that features two wonderful lead turns by Downey and Kilmer and equally good support turns by the whole cast.

Despite the purposeful homages, light parodies and cutting observations on other films this manages to be quite unlike any other film in that Tarantino way...but with a far less fanboy attitude (not that I mind that).
Shane Black shows he can handle directing chores as well as he can handle the writing ones.

Took me a foolishly long time to see this, so if you haven't yet...don't be a chump like moi...See it!
Hell, OWN IT!
Old 20th November 2009, 12:08 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just watched while she was out
Old 20th November 2009, 01:33 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

He Knows You're Alone

An entertaining enough crime thriller horror thing. Very derivative, some decent performances, occasionally clunky...yeah, I liked it.

Night Child/Night Hair Child/What The Peeper Saw

A very frustrating film. It is founded upon the germ of a fine idea. From that basic idea, however, is piled a ghastly exercise in utter incoherent ineptitude. This film is a total mess. The camerawork is clumsily amateurish, the pacing is all over the place adding to the general air of confusion, editing often seems arbitrary and the dialogue is toe-curlingly bad.

And then there are the performances.

Whoever thought it a good idea casting Britt Ekland and Mark Lester as the leads, expecting them to carry this piece was deluded to a quite frightening level. I can't immediately recall two leads who are so robotic, indifferent and incompetent being allowed so much of the film. There is no effort to make up their slack. It becomes quite painful to watch.

It is tempting to say that this is one of the very worst films I have ever seen but that core idea is a really very good one. I have never been driven to say this before, but I really think this is an ideal candidate for a remake. However, the world is now a different place and hysterical paranoia over the depiction of children even in fictional film means that no-one would touch the project with a ten foot pole.

Of interest only as a curio, but by God it's bad!
Old 20th November 2009, 09:20 AM
Ex-member

Always wanted to see "Night Hair Child" after reading about it in the excellent "10 Years of Terror" book on Brit Horror/Exploitation in the 70's.

I managed to find an NTSC VHS of it...Only to discover it was heavily cut during the sexual moments between Britt and Lester.

Film looked to boring to bother trying to get an uncut one though. I agree, it's not very interesting at all.
Old 20th November 2009, 09:47 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Watched the Day of the Dead re-make last night, as well as about 20 minutes of 100 Tears

Day of the Dead is probably far worse when you don't watch any of 100 Tears before it!
Old 20th November 2009, 11:03 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Night Hair Child had huge BBFC problems and would still have them now. The cuts lists to both cinema releases were extremely heavy.
Old 20th November 2009, 07:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Brute

Brit horror from the 70's about domestic violence. I thought it was quite interesting myself, shame it's never had a DVD or video release here.
Old 20th November 2009, 08:31 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Over the last couple of days I have been on a bit of a film marathon with one of my friends while I'm back visiting my parents. Films watched are

Meatball Machines -Just as good the second time lots of gory alien fun
Sex and Fury - Would have preferred a little more of the latter as both me and my friend found ourselfs getting a bit bored at times
Flesh For Frankeinstein 3D Attrocius acting a bizzare plot made for a great campy/gory flick.
VersesIntroduced my friend to this and it was as good on the fifth viewing as it was on the first. I would reccomend this gore-drenched kung fu zombie masterpiece to anyone who breathes.
Fight For Your Life An enjoyble (i never like using that word for this type of film but I guess its kind of right) 70's family taken hostage revenge film. Not for anyone easily offended by racist language.
I Eat Your Blood I really like this film and had to introduce my friend to it. Satanist hippies get infected when a small boy feeds them rabies tainted meat pies. Whats not to like?

We also watched some of August Underground but none of us fancied watching the rest when the pizza arrived 20 mins in. Its obviously well done for what it is but not really my cup of tea (though I am half tempted to give it another go sometime, not quite sure why).
Old 20th November 2009, 11:05 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched TRANSFORMERS 2 last night and TERMINATOR SALVATION. Transformers 2 was better than i expected although it should never have gotten a 12 certificate as it's the most foul mouthed kids film ive ever seen. Terminator salvation was also better than expected, i felt there was something missing from it though, Its a terminator film with a 12 rating, which after growing up watching T1 + T2 which are aimed at adults, felt let down. it's the whole ROBOCOP 3 thing all over again. It was till a good film though.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:18 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Here's my problem with Terminator Salvation.From what i've read about the film (becuase I haven't seen it yet),If skynet knows about the events of the previous films and uses Kyle Reese as bait so it can kill John Conner,why doesn't it just kill Kyle and save some time? And before people say Skynet knows if it did that,it would probably never be built,then why is Kyle also on Skynets priority list of people to terminate? If that's actually true,McG and the writers must really underestimate the intelligence of their audience

Like this? Share it using the links below!