Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179630Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st January 2014, 09:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Death Race (PWS Anderson). The Stath is wrongly imprisoned, forced to compete in an reality programme (with Lovejoy's help), and gets revenge for the umpteenth time. Riddled with cliches and inconstency....like how do they get 50 million viewers at $250 a pop , if the country is in such dire straits?? I did like that fact that it's set in 2012. Y'know when the world ended in that other film haha.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 31st January 2014, 11:18 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Just Before Dawn - terrific 'backwoods horror', thanks Code Red!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 31st January 2014, 03:27 PM
Active Cultist

You're Next.Kind of a modern version of Mario Bava's A Bay of Blood, it really brought to my mind some Italian thriller's / giallo's from way back, that really doesn't bring anything new to the table, per se, but it's very effective for what it is.Enjoyed it very much, and I think it holds well for a second and third viewing.Barbara Crampton is in it! The Revenant, The Cabin in the Woods, You're Next...there's still hope in our beloved genre amidst all the remakes and CGI-infested game movies.Big Bad Wolves and Here Comes the Devil will bring more 'joy' to the world, I'm sure, looking forward to those.
Old 31st January 2014, 05:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Demonia (1990)

Lucio Fulci made some terrific horror films. Demonia isn't one of them.

Despite having some trademark gory and inventive deaths - Love the tongue nailing scene - the film is a terribly dull mess. Some sort of a plot about vengeful dead nuns taking it out on archaeologists and towns folk alike failed to stir me as the film plodded along at a snails pace. Al Cliver telling ghost stories was probably the films stand out moment apart from the eight graphic murders on offer, yes its that good.

One or two other Fulci trademark atmospheric moments aside this film isn't worth watching. For completists only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg demonia.jpg (95.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 31st January 2014, 05:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Spot on Dem. As much as I love Fulci, I've always thought this is the worst of his films I have seen. Even Sodoma's Ghost is better than this!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 31st January 2014, 05:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Spot on Dem. As much as I love Fulci, I've always thought this is the worst of his films I have seen. Even Sodoma's Ghost is better than this!
That was my second viewing. It hadn't improved at all.
Mojo likes this.
Old 31st January 2014, 06:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Demonia (1990)

Lucio Fulci made some terrific horror films. Demonia isn't one of them.

Despite having some trademark gory and inventive deaths - Love the tongue nailing scene - the film is a terribly dull mess. Some sort of a plot about vengeful dead nuns taking it out on archaeologists and towns folk alike failed to stir me as the film plodded along at a snails pace. Al Cliver telling ghost stories was probably the films stand out moment apart from the eight graphic murders on offer, yes its that good.

One or two other Fulci trademark atmospheric moments aside this film isn't worth watching. For completists only.
The bit with the child's father getting torn in two had me laughing so much I immediately filmed it and put it on Facebook haha 'papa!' 'Nooooo!!!!!'
Mojo and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 31st January 2014, 06:36 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I love the kid with "a secret stash of dirt" and the campfire getting together though.
Old 31st January 2014, 07:27 PM
Cult Addict

BORDERLAND. Grim and grisly crime cum horror film about vacationing Americans coming up against Santeria practicing drug dealers. A dark and violent film that should be better known. Recommended.
Old 31st January 2014, 07:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

This week I have mostly been watching

Black Sabbath
Fall of the House of Usher
Red 2
Fury, The

Four entertaining films in their own way. I particularly liked The Fury, which I realised I hadn't seen before. How that happened I don't know.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!