Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2014, 03:02 AM
Seasoned Cultist

'The Thing' (82)
Can't see this ever dropping out of my top 5, and this viewing only confirmed that.
So much to love about it - the unanswered questions, ie. who has been 'assimilated' and when and how? The lack of a climatic 'showdown' is a real plus, and the downbeat ending is just great.
Of course, all these thing were missing in the awful remake/prequel. Mind you, my biggest beef with it is how the nature of the 'thing' changed. In the '82 version it hides in people/animals, trying to spread by stealth, if possible - even the tagline on the Aussie VHS was 'Man is the warmest place to hide'. In the prequel it's like some sort of serial killer, stalking through the Norwegian base. The cgi effects look shit, as well.
Old 16th March 2014, 06:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust View Post
Having a movie day today. I might go late into the night seeing as my class doesn't start until 11.30 tomorrow. I've stuffed my face with candy, chocolate and energy drink and so far I've watched Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb. Great stuff! "Gentleman, You can't fight in here this is the war room!" Not sure what to chuck on next. In the mood for some more classics. Possibly Lawrence Of Arabia or another Kubrick. Maybe a classic car chase movie. Hmm, we'll see!
Wooh, Chucked on another classic after the Kubrick flick. It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Love this movie. Classic! Now drinking some beers and grabbing a bite and I'll be chucking on something else soon.
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th March 2014, 09:12 AM
Cult Master

I watched 'The Terminal' yesterday - Speilberg's version of 'Borat'!!!!

It was very depressing to start with, but then it turned into a slapstick comedy and ended up as a typical Speilberg heart-warming family film

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th March 2014, 10:48 AM
Cult Addict

House of lost souls.

One of two films Lenzi made in conjunction with two made by Fulci for a four part houses of doom series. Personally I think Lenzi's stuff is much better than Fulci's house of clocks and sweet house of horrors which really highlight Fulci's decline as a film-maker.

House of Lost souls falls back on the old narrative tool for low budget filmmaking and has a bunch of people arrive at one location and get killed off one by one. Here it's a group of geologists who get stuck due to a closed road and end up staying over at some dodgy hotel.

Naturally it's horribly cursed/haunted and pretty soon the young un's are getting terrorized and slaughtered. The Dialogue is pretty rotten in an entertaining fashion. The plot is illogical to say the least but its all still interesting and rather charming and looks pretty good for the most part.

House of Witchcraft.

Lenzi's other four houses of doom flick is about a bloke in a failing marriage who'se having nightmares about a hideous old witch that seems to be in the old Grimms fairy tail tradition of witches. In a bid to save his marriage he heads off into the countryside with his spooky wife and surprise surprise the place they stay at is just like the one in his dream. (This sort of plot point seems to be VERY popular in a lot of late eighties/early nineties italian horror) Pretty soon his nightmares seem to start becoming reality.

Like house of lost souls this has a very ropey script and very tight budget issues. Like House of souls Lenzi makes it all work somehow (more than fulci could pull off) and its a fairly entertaining if somewhat daft horror movie with some decent visual motifs.

Neither are classics but definately worth seeking out.
Old 16th March 2014, 02:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Bride of Re-Animator

Another fine Blu-ray release from Capelight in Germany. Not as good as their Re-Animator Blu but still a shining example of how good a movie can look in HD. Married with a great selection of extras, including some fine behind the scenes footage with Robert Kurtzman and Greg Nicotero. The movie itself is good, but not a classic like the Stuart Gordon directed original. Hats off to Capelight for another fine release
trebor8273 and anythinggoes78 like this.
Old 16th March 2014, 02:45 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Bride of Re-Animator

Another fine Blu-ray release from Capelight in Germany. Not as good as their Re-Animator Blu but still a shining example of how good a movie can look in HD. Married with a great selection of extras, including some fine behind the scenes footage with Robert Kurtzman and Greg Nicotero. The movie itself is good, but not a classic like the Stuart Gordon directed original. Hats off to Capelight for another fine release
How does the additional gore look?

I have the pioneer DVD release that has the R-rated and unrated versions (with the option to have it either 'matted' or full screen.

It only added to a few seconds of trims, which were removed from the negative. The pioneer re-instates them with a noticeable drop in quality.

Is the german release just the R-rated cut or the unrated?

Does it port over the commentary?

(worth me knowing before I ditch the DVD)
Old 16th March 2014, 07:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Like the Pioneer disc, there is a noticeable drop in picture quality. The R-rated and the unrated cuts get individual blu-ray releases. All the extras from the Pioneer disc have been ported over to this release
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th March 2014, 07:52 PM
Cult Addict

Just watched Non Stop with Liam Neeson.
Neeson's an air marshal on a transatlantic flight who recieves a threat that a passenger will die every 20 minutes unless 150 million dollars is transferred to an account.
It's rather contrived and the baddies plan is beyond silly but it still makes for a entertaining little thriller.
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th March 2014, 08:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

After Earth (2013) I went into this knowing of it's recent 'Razzie' reputation and I have to say it somewhat deserved it! It just seemed like a vanity project for Jaden Smith and as for his dad well he should stick to the wise cracking roles that made him, his 'Spock' just plain sucked! If the Ursa's could only smell their enemy why didn't the humans wear suits that encased them!
Old 17th March 2014, 02:32 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Just watched Non Stop with Liam Neeson.
Neeson's an air marshal on a transatlantic flight who recieves a threat that a passenger will die every 20 minutes unless 150 million dollars is transferred to an account.
It's rather contrived and the baddies plan is beyond silly but it still makes for a entertaining little thriller.

I saw this yesterday and thought exactly the same as you - silly, enjoyable fluff.

Like this? Share it using the links below!