Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th March 2014, 03:39 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I saw this yesterday and thought exactly the same as you - silly, enjoyable fluff.
What wasn't enjoyable mind was the 40, yes FORTY!!! bloody minutes of adverts and crap before the film actually started. A 5.50 showing that didn't actually start until 6.30!!!
Old 17th March 2014, 05:45 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
What wasn't enjoyable mind was the 40, yes FORTY!!! bloody minutes of adverts and crap before the film actually started. A 5.50 showing that didn't actually start until 6.30!!!
When that has been the case at Cineworld, I've complained.

My parents went to see the NFT War Horse showing and that had about 45 minutes of promotions, commercials and trailers beforehand, plus the interval, which meant the 7:00 showing didn't begin until nearly 7:45, finishing at 10:30pm. Needless to say, they were far from happy and have complained.
Old 17th March 2014, 05:47 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
When that has been the case at Cineworld, I've complained.

My parents went to see the NFT War Horse showing and that had about 45 minutes of promotions, commercials and trailers beforehand, plus the interval, which meant the 7:00 showing didn't begin until nearly 7:45, finishing at 10:30pm. Needless to say, they were far from happy and have complained.
To be honest we should have learnt our lesson by now. You can virtually guarantee though that if you turn up a bit later on purpose it'll be the time they start the film practically on time.
I don't mind the trailers at all that's part of the experience for me but all the damn car adverts and mobile phone network ads do my nut.
Incidentally we saw a trailer for Johnny Depps new film Transcendence last night that looked bloody brilliant.
Old 17th March 2014, 06:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
To be honest we should have learnt our lesson by now. You can virtually guarantee though that if you turn up a bit later on purpose it'll be the time they start the film practically on time.
I don't mind the trailers at all that's part of the experience for me but all the damn car adverts and mobile phone network ads do my nut.
Incidentally we saw a trailer for Johnny Depps new film Transcendence last night that looked bloody brilliant.
When I complained previously, the answer I received said there is 'an average' of 15 minutes of commercials and trailers, so when you have the Take 2 showings on Thursdays, they start pretty much on the showing time. When I saw Blue Jasmine, I missed the first 5 minutes because there weren't any commercials or trailers.
Old 17th March 2014, 06:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It does my head in, when I took my 10 year old son to watch the last Hobbit film, there was about 30 minutes of bullshit at the start meaning we were sat there for almost 3 and 1/2 hours, due to the long running time of the film. Thankfully, he didn't mind being sat there for that length of time and only missed a couple of minutes to go to the toilet.
Like everyone else, I don't mind the trailers, I agrgee it's part of the experience, but the ads for cars etc are completely pointless IMO
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 17th March 2014, 06:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Don't Let Him In (2011)

A couple head off to the country to get away for the weekend. Tagging along is their friend and her new boyfriend whom she only just met - an arrogant city trader. Once at their countryside retreat the four discover a serial killer is terrorising the area.

Don't Let Him In is one of those films that has one or two plot contrivances that are frankly risible and can easily put you off. For one example, the guys had been on their phones constantly, yet how come when they come to phone the police there is no signal?. Although once i'd raised an eyebrow at these events i just got on with enjoying a decent low budget British horror film. It seemed to sweep me away with its sheer exuberance.

It was clear to see that everyone wanted to be part of the film and make it as best they could with what little money they had rather than some contractual studio production. The film was nicely photographed and utilized some great gore effects but never going over the top. Yes, the cover doesn't lie. There are severed limbs hanging from trees and if you aren't keen on maggots stay away.

It just seemed like the people both behind and in front of the camera had a great idea and ran with it, and all credit to them for making a lively Brit horror which i found thoroughly entertaining.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9374.jpg (68.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 17th March 2014, 08:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Toy story

Well nothing else to say apart from a classic and a film I will never get bored of watching. 10/10

Two faces of Dr Jekyll

A interesting take on the story, instead of becoming a monster he transforms into a handsome, charismatic and sadistic person, from the timid Jekyll who is used by his best friend played by Christopher lee and his wife who is cheating on him with lee. I found both of those a lot more unlikable than Hyde and didn't care when they met there demise. Oliver reed also has a small role 7.5/10

Captain clegg

thoughly enjoyed this " boys own adventure" film with the usually fantastic peter Cushing in the centre role. He is ably supported by Michael ripper, Patrick Allen and Oliver reed. Can't wait for the blu ray release 9/10

Kiss of the vampire

A often overlooked gem, with a great atmosphere and some good acting. None of the usual hammer stalwarts are here, but that doesn't detracted from a great little movie with fantastic sets, costumes and it's climatic ending 9/10

Megaforce

I love this film, it's the 80s at it silly, camp and cheesy best. 9.5/10

Dr Jekyll and sister Hyde

Another hammer take on the story of Jekyll and Hyde, but adds bits from Burke and hare and Jack the Ripper. Hyde played by Ralph Bates experiments and makes a potion which creates a murderous alter ego which also changes his sex. There are lots of great moments in which is bates best hammer film. 9/10
Old 17th March 2014, 11:34 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:

Yeah, I turned up late on purpose. Film advertised to start at 3:00, I didn't turn up until 10 past, waited in line for tickets and a beer and for into the cinema for the last half of the trailers
Old 18th March 2014, 07:13 AM
Cult Addict

Yesterday I watched Hellgate. Maybe it helped that I was expecting something pretty bad, but I actually quite liked it.
I also think there's the core of a much better film in there somewhere too given a decent script and better actors.
Old 18th March 2014, 02:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Back From Hell (2011)

A typical found footage / shaky cam film. Italian production Back From Hell is nothing remarkable at all. a possession film without much in the way of possession and absolutely nothing coming back from hell. It even borders on the boring for large swathes of it's running time due to the tedious chat and obligatory fallings out. It fails to engage the viewer with it's characters or storyline and doesn't make the most of the great monastery locations.

Then two minutes from the end we have a real WTF? moment. The survivors from the dull exorcism stumble out of the monastery and head to town. Suddenly out of the blue we are in a scenario reminiscent of The Crazies, Outbreak or even Dawn of the Dead. The area is in lock down. On air radio messages warn people to stay in their homes and stay out of the contamination zone. Our heroes look as bemused by all this as i did, then the film finishes. Developed into the second half of the film this could have been really interesting and an intriguing mash up of genres but in this case it just left me thinking why bother?

I love the artwork but you won't be surprised to find out that chuff all in the film has anything to do with the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back-from-hell.jpg (99.2 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!