Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th November 2014, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

If you enjoyed the first one Tre, you will more than enjoy the second. The dystopian future is stronger in this one.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 15th November 2014, 08:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Some reason viewings

Cthulhu mansion

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416084859.685327.jpg
Just dreadful poor old Lovecraft must be spinning in his grave. Awful acting poor editing, direction. No redeeming qualities what so ever. The director makes Ed Wood look like stanley kubrick. 1/10

The magnetic monster

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416084980.113373.jpg

No actual monster which was a big disappointment, the monster is a magnetic force that because of exposure to radiation is increasing in power to the point where it will move earth out of its orbit, so it's up to a group of scientist to find away to stop it. 5/10

The Burbs
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416085307.872629.jpg
Highly enjoyable and funny with a great cast of characters and laugh out loud moments. Which is strange because the first time I watched it I didn't think much of it. 8.5/10

Wavelength
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416086085.399360.jpg
Not what I was expecting or remembered as a kid, thought it was a horror but it's a sci fi film about about young woman and her boyfriend who investigate what they think is an abandoned military when the woman starts hearing what sounds like whale song. They are soon caught while entering the base and we find out that the signal she heard is coming from three aliens kept in suspended animation. When personal start dying at the base, the military decide to bury the base along with the young couple and aliens. It's at this point that the aliens are set free and the young couple team up with the aliens ( which just look like young children with shaved heads) to escape and get them home. 6/10

Now watch leprechaun 2

Last edited by trebor8273; 15th November 2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 15th November 2014, 10:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Tokarev (2014)

Violent yet dreary revenge thriller in which Nic Cage not only battles the Russian mafia but a 5:1 soundtrack that makes his unintelligible mutterings largely inaudible.

The film offers a twist ending that almost seems clever were it not so laughable having sat through the consequences.

In the quality stakes it's more DTV Steven Seagal movie than Con Air, Tokarev is one to avoid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tokarev_back_-keyart_111313(cam).jpg (28.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 15th November 2014, 10:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Some reason viewings

Cthulhu mansion

Totally agree Tre, so many wasted opportunities gone begging to make a great lovecraftian picture, even on a budget!

The magnetic monster

Attachment 149443

This appeals to me! sad I know.

The Burbs
Attachment 149444
Need to see this myself again now as I also remember not liking it much first time round...this may be because I was not a Tom Hanks fan back then.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 15th November 2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: completing quote box.
Old 16th November 2014, 03:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Tokarev (2014)

Violent yet dreary revenge thriller in which Nic Cage not only battles the Russian mafia but a 5:1 soundtrack that makes his unintelligible mutterings largely inaudible.

The film offers a twist ending that almost seems clever were it not so laughable having sat through the consequences.

In the quality stakes it's more DTV Steven Seagal movie than Con Air, Tokarev is one to avoid.
Its got Nic cage in that's a good enough reason to avoid..
I just can't take to him and any film with him in puts me of wanting to watch the film.
Haven't seen con air but have seen face off .
Old 16th November 2014, 04:11 AM
Cult Acolyte

The next 5 days are all exams yet I somehow still find the time to watch movies! I know I usually avoid posting recent reviews but I had something else i wanted to ask so I may as well do these first.

Madman - A nice 80's slasher I'd wanted to watch for a while. Managed to find the old blue tint original version on youtube, which adds massively to the cinematography and atmosphere, making it one of few redeeming features. The credits were nice with the little frame. Now the actual movie. Kind of dissapointing. I was expecting a lot better from the things I'd heard, but the latter half or so redeemed it fairly nicely. First things first, the start sucks. Slow, stupid, all the characters are really annoying, and that sex scene in the hot tub classifies as one of the worst things ever. Marz' backstory was pretty cool as was the tree scene. The girl from Dawn of the Dead is in it and gives a woeful performance. Then someone goes looking for a missing kid and it gets good. Nice brutal kills which I guess is the standout quality of the film. No cut aways and fairly well drawn out. The cheesy as hell synth score was fun as well. A bit formula driven with everyone constantly doing the same thing, following up on the previous person and dying. The end was pretty good though as I really wasn't expecting how few if any made it. Also Marz sounding less human and more like a monkey monster wasn't a good move and it didnt match his makeup. I guess its worth watching if you're into slashers, due to the kills and stalking, otherwise not really worth it. 6.5/10

Alice Sweet Alice - This was an eerie kind of depressing movie. Very well shot and would love to see a better quality version, even though the one I watched was based on the 88 Films transfer I assume (again good old Youtube). Some nice creepy sexual undertones, and the mask and rain slick make a very creepy combination. There's just a lot of menace and unsettling elements on show here, including the fat guy down the hall. More a psychological thriller than a slasher I'd say. But around the latter half some blind sides get thrown in, changing the suspect twice before a reveal 40 minutes before the end that nearly ruined the movie for me. Absolutely nonsencial and a very bad choice for killer. Thankfully they somewhat redeem it by the end with some creepy scenes, but it essentially makes the whole first half useless as all the suspense and threat came from you thinking it was Alice. But then the final twist makes you reconsider. Too many damn twists!!! I'd recommend it as it's an interesting watch, just don't expect a slasher. 7/10

The Babadook - Endlessly hyped, and honestly worth it. However, the trailers are seriously misleading, as it's more a psychological film than a monster movie (bit of a trend here). Seriously uncomfortable, with a 40 minute build up that is super depressing and distressing. Then the book comes in, and things start getting seriously good and freaky. By the end, it becomes quite bizarre and surreal, and the ending which makes you question if its real or not. Highly recommended 9/10

Sleepaway Camp 2 - Started this a while ago a finally finished it. As by the numbers as you get. Angela is back, people are doing drugs, drink and each other, moral crusade begins. Camp songs, camp fires, pranks and shenanigans. Then Angela disposes of those bad. Some seriously mean spirited kills and a high body count, and mostly follows and works out for Angela, as though she's more the anti-hero rather than a villian. Worth it as a body count or a parody, but almost a bit of a nothing film. 6/10

Now the question. I have a little project in mind due to the sheer number of slashers I've seen. I've only got a few of the classics left, and once I'm done, I'd like to rank and review all of them I've seen. However due to the ambiguity of the definition of the genre, I'd like to make a thread for the ranking and reviews, so I can also discuss what counts and what doesn't. What subthread would i make this in?

Thanks in advance.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 16th November 2014, 09:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Its got Nic cage in that's a good enough reason to avoid..

I just can't take to him and any film with him in puts me of wanting to watch the film.

Haven't seen con air but have seen face off .

I think he gets far more stick than he deserves, yeah he's made a few duds, but he's also been in some brilliant (IMO) films: Con Air, The Rock, Face/Off, Wild at Heart, Gone in 60 Seconds, Raising Arizona, The Wicker Man (just kidding) etc.
I'd rather watch him than most of the recent crop of leading actors coming out of Hollywood
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th November 2014, 09:43 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I think he gets far more stick than he deserves, yeah he's made a few duds, but he's also been in some brilliant (IMO) films: Con Air, The Rock, Face/Off, Wild at Heart, Gone in 60 Seconds, Raising Arizona, The Wicker Man (just kidding) etc.
I'd rather watch him than most of the recent crop of leading actors coming out of Hollywood

Totally agree! His performance(s) in Adaptation is also fantastic.
Old 16th November 2014, 09:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I know what you mean, is it me or is Ryan Reynolds in every movie that's been made in the last 4 or 5 years? I don't see the talent in him that big Hollywood directors do, maybe he's the best of a bad bunch

Monster Magnet
Old 16th November 2014, 09:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
I know what you mean, is it me or is Ryan Reynolds in every movie that's been made in the last 4 or 5 years? I don't see the talent in him that big Hollywood directors do, maybe he's the best of a bad bunch
...Having said that I watched "R.I.P.D." recently and enjoyed it! Perhaps Jeff Bridges "lifted" his performance or perhaps I just needed a throw away film to lift my mood! Either way I'll give it a 6/10 for being "Men in Black" for the dear departed!
keirarts and J Harker like this.

Monster Magnet

Like this? Share it using the links below!