Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2010, 10:40 PM
Cultist in Training

Watched another great Asian epic, Three Kingdoms: Resurrection Of The Dragon directed by Daniel Lee, and starring Andy Lau, Sammo Hung, and Maggie Q.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Watched Sleepless.
Was a good movie with interesting story. Kills were not that violent me thinks. I felt it was about 10 mins too long though.

Not as good as Suspira and Deep Red of course.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 27th February 2010, 06:14 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

watched this last night.

well what can i say, after waiting nearly 15 years to get my hands on a decent print. i was disappointed, the print on it is very watchable but is more like a very good vhs than a dvd and the subs don't interfere too much.

it plays a lot like a comic book adaptation (not sure if it is as i haven't watched the interview yet, the only extra on the disc). considering the effects that the Italians and Americans were producing a few years before then the budget shows up considerably.

if you were expecting a Dawn of the dead/ Zombie Flesheaters type movie then stay clear and stick with Junk.as this one feels more at home with Tokyo Gore Police/ Meatball Machine
Old 27th February 2010, 08:49 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Cannibal Holocaust may be his most (in)famous score but he also wrote the music for Mondo Cane (the gorgeous More theme), The Hunting Party, the classic Yellow Rolls Royce, the swinging Bliss Of Mrs Blossom, Charles Bronson's Valachi Papers (disappointing score in my opinion), and the ultra-funky Biggest Bundle Of Them All (my favourite of his).
A few there I haven't heard Vince - I'll definitely have to check out some more of his work, in particular the score from Biggest Bundle Of Them All! I know he also composed music for Seven Blood Stained Orchids, Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye and Enigma Rosso. He was also behind that annoying (imo) music in the Pyjama Girl Case, which is probably the worst giallo I've ever seen... No denying his musical genius though!
Old 27th February 2010, 08:52 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
I did contemplate whether I should even mention a twist exists (you then look for it) but seeing as the ****ing tagline was "You'll never guess her secret", I thought the decision had already been taken for me!

Worth watching, truly, for Isabelle Fuhrman's performance alone.
I'd heard about the twist on release, but I've managed to escape anyone spoiling it for me yet... I may have to rent this soon as it's produced such mixed reactions from everyone.
Old 27th February 2010, 08:55 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex s View Post
watched this last night.

well what can i say, after waiting nearly 15 years to get my hands on a decent print. i was disappointed, the print on it is very watchable but is more like a very good vhs than a dvd and the subs don't interfere too much.

it plays a lot like a comic book adaptation (not sure if it is as i haven't watched the interview yet, the only extra on the disc). considering the effects that the Italians and Americans were producing a few years before then the budget shows up considerably.

if you were expecting a Dawn of the dead/ Zombie Flesheaters type movie then stay clear and stick with Junk.as this one feels more at home with Tokyo Gore Police/ Meatball Machine
I've been waiting with baited breath for this too, alex.

From what you've said it looks like Synapse were more interested in just getting this released rather than making it an awesome package...

Speaking as a fan of Japenese cinema, and enjoying both the classic and the new wave of film I'll probably pick it up, but will more than likely wait until it has dropped in price on Amazon Marketplace or somewhere similar. Cheers for the warnings!
Old 27th February 2010, 11:10 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
A few there I haven't heard Vince - I'll definitely have to check out some more of his work, in particular the score from Biggest Bundle Of Them All!
I have Biggest Bundle on vinyl (the original UK MGM vinyl) which is blessed with a stunning sleeve and a typically late 60's funky score. It has a Johnny Mathis song on it (nothing's perfect) but Eric Burdon's title track is as good as the score itself. Not a bad film too and helped immensely by Raquel Welch (as are most things - sigh).

Also recommend Ortolani's jazzy score to Buona Sera Mrs Campbell (good cast, bland film), the cute Spy with a Cold Nose, Day Of Anger (brilliant) and Brother Sun, Sister Moon (Italian print only).
Old 27th February 2010, 02:48 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Solomon Kane

Well, what a surprise! My girlfriend took me to see this for my birthday knowing that, as a Robert E Howard and Solomon Kane fan, I was intrigued to see what would happen to the character in a film setting. I feared another Constantine, where Hollywood ruined and insulted a character I loved from the source material. But I was not counting on something - Solomon Kane is not a Hollywood film...

I think this is a fitting and extremely likeable adaptation to screen. There is a lot to admire here: verve, atmosphere, action, horror...all played gloriously straight faced and with none of the pretension of "high fantasy" like Lord Of The Rings - just wonderful, violent, dark, bleak, Good vs Evil, Sword 'n' Sorcery of the old school.

James Purefoy is a good Kane and the rest of the cast are fine...and, unknown to me, the great Max Von Sydow (one of my favourite actors) is in it! I had to stop myself squealing like a schoolgirl when he appeared on screen! The monsters are superb and you never feel the film's low budget.

I feared the worst and was elated by the film. I loved it and thought it a complete success. Here's hoping it makes anough money so the trilogy can be completed.

The Crazies

I loved this film when I was younger but hadn't seen it for ages. It is better than I remembered. A low budget gem ripe with Romero's inventiveness, social comment and dark world view. Superb stuff. I may risk the remake next week!
Old 27th February 2010, 08:44 PM
Cult Rookie

Default re: What films have you seen recently?

just watched a perfect getaway, nothing new here but the last 30m are quite fun.
Old 27th February 2010, 09:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Tomb Of Ligeia

The last of Corman's "Poe Cycle" is also one of the best. This is the only one to make large use of location shooting and was made in the UK. Set in England in the mid 19th century the film can be mentioned with Witchfinder General and Blood On Satan's Claw in its use of the English country landscape for Gothic atmospheric effect.

It is quite beautifully shot, and in this regard had a lot to live up to coming as it did after The Masque Of The Red Death in the Cycle. Perhaps a realisation that this masterpiece could not be topped in visual terms is one reason why ...Ligeia is filmed so differently to Corman's other Poe pictures. Whatever the reason, it is a visual feast in its own right and quite stunning to look at. By this stage too, Corman had fully mastered the Cinemascope (here masquerading as "Colorscope" ) anamorphic format and was clearly enjoying it.

Robert Towne's script is quite as good as those revered efforts Richard Matheson provided for Corman and there is some humour to be dug out from the Gothic/Victorian English stylings. It deals with many deep Poe themes, not least survival after death and necrophilia and is a successful evocation of Poe's work.

There are also much splendid shenanigans with a possessed/evil cat (great performance from the cat too!) and - really! - an under-stated Vincent Price performance! Perhaps the only one of his career!

A great film, not quite achieving the perfect heights of The Masque Of The Red Death, but certainly a major achievement of Corman's Gothic period.

Last edited by Gojirosan; 28th February 2010 at 12:05 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!