Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th August 2016, 06:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's the one i'll be getting anyway. CO won't have the Newman / Jones commentary which is in all likely probably better than the film itself.
I was originally contemplating getting it to hear that and watch the other extras, but hearing Newman constantly saying 'yallo' and 'yalli' drives me round the bend, so have decided to just give it a miss and stop supporting the Ritrovata remasters
Old 25th August 2016, 06:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
I was originally contemplating getting it to hear that and watch the other extras, but hearing Newman constantly saying 'yallo' and 'yalli' drives me round the bend, so have decided to just give it a miss and stop supporting the Ritrovata remasters
Old 25th August 2016, 06:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Every Italian director or actor I have met or heard talking about the genre on commentaries or documentaries says giallo with a hard G, so I Newman says it with a Y is beyond me. Maybe he was misinformed by someone and no one has dared correct him!
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th August 2016, 06:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Every Italian director or actor I have met or heard talking about the genre on commentaries or documentaries says giallo with a hard G, so I Newman says it with a Y is beyond me. Maybe he was misinformed by someone and no one has dared correct him!
I don't think i've heard him do a commentary on a giallo before so i've no idea if SJC is correct or just making an assumption.
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th August 2016, 06:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I don't think i've heard him do a commentary on a giallo before so i've no idea if SJC is correct or just making an assumption.
He mispronounces it in every giallo audio commentary I've heard and in the Giallo documentary on the Synapse Tenebrae disc. What is so frustrating is that he usually has Alan Jones sitting next to him pronouncing it correctly...
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th August 2016, 06:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
It's the one i'll be getting anyway. CO won't have the Newman / Jones commentary which is in all likely probably better than the film itself.
There are some good interviews on here too, particularly the one with Helmut Berger!
Old 25th August 2016, 06:53 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
He mispronounces it in every giallo audio commentary I've heard and in the Giallo documentary on the Synapse Tenebrae disc. What is so frustrating is that he usually has Alan Jones sitting next to him pronouncing it correctly...
I think he says it exactly the same on every interview I've seen, including the Video Nasties documentary by Nucleus Films.
keirarts likes this.
Old 26th August 2016, 08:32 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Saw (2004)

*** out of *****

keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 26th August 2016, 08:40 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Puzzle of the Red Orchid (1962)

German Krimi based on the crime novels by British author Edgar Wallace. The Puzzle of the Red Orchid, or Secret of the Red Orchid as it's known Stateside stars Christopher Lee as an FBI agent sent to London to stop two rival Chicago gangs extorting money from the English wealthy.

I have no idea if this was supposed to be a serious film but due to the dubbing it plays as a comedy crime thriller. Why Christopher Lee is playing an American i'll never know, but why dub his voice? He sounds daft, as does whoever dubbed co-star Adrian Hoven (playing a Scotland Yard detective) making him sound like a character from a Harry Enfield sketch such is the primness of his Queen's English. I won't even go into how awful Klaus Kinski sounds. Marisa Mell comes off slightly better sounding a little like Stephanie Beacham. In fact an early starring role for Mell is the prime reason for seeing this film.

As far as crime thrillers go, The Puzzle of the Red Orchid isn't particularly thrilling, although a six gun toting Christopher Lee is amusing, and a few nicely staged shoot outs maintain the interest, just. Sadly though it's impossible to suggest anything else except The Puzzle of the Red Orchid is a film ruined by dreadful dubbing.

Old 26th August 2016, 12:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Saw II (2005)

*** out of *****

Saw III (2006)

*** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Like this? Share it using the links below!