Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2017, 07:58 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

neon-demon-main.jpg

Jesse is the newest young hopeful on the L.A modelling scene. Every year countless young beautiful naive and vulnerable girls move to L.A hoping to make it big most never realise their dream and fade into obscurity but Jesse is different and she is making some very big waves in the shallow pool of self obsession vanity and the endless journey to achieve physical perfection. Make up artist Rudy takes Jesse under her wing and introduces her to her two model friends Gigi and Sarah but are there intentions honorable and are they here to help or hinder Jesses progress in this new world she has entered.

I had heard many bad reviews before i finally sat down to watch this from pretentious garbage to just down right boring. Man where they so wrong i loved everything about this film the soundtrack is perfect just like other Nicolas Winding Refn films it's a character of its own creating so much tension beauty and sensuality. I was blown away by the sheer beauty of every scene the lighting the colours the acting and just the general atmosphere. The Neon Demon is filled with horrible fake sinister characters that will do anything to get ahead in life and maintain their fake manufactured beauty.

Beneath all the glamour the bright lights the amazing soundtrack it might be easy to miss an even more disturbing side to the storytelling. Its not fiction that thousands of young girls and men put themselves at risk and at the mercy of sick individuals in places like the L.A modelling scene and the Hollywood agents of the real world. Just like Starry Eyes The Neon Demon shows us that its not all a bed of roses getting fame and hard work may not be good enough to secure the fame that you seek not only do you have to sell your soul but your body may also be part of the deal before you sign everything you are away on the dotted line.

Underneath all the neon there truly is a demon in waiting.

9/10

Old 8th February 2017, 12:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I had a recent blu-ray cull and decided that The Neon Demon wouldn't stay. Odd thing is, that I much preferred the film when it was just dealing with the cut-throat world of fashion modelling, before it moved into the horror genre. Interesting film but I decided that it should make way for other titles. And I was somewhat bemused by the various reviews that made reference to a Dario Argento influence. My favourite Refn film so far is Drive, that actually earnt a place on the shelving unit.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 8th February 2017, 10:09 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Great review, Nord. I watched this the other day for the first time and it has instantly become my favourite film of 2016 and my favourite Refn too, narrowly edging out Only God Forgives.
Old 8th February 2017, 10:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Great review, Nord. I watched this the other day for the first time and it has instantly become my favourite film of 2016 and my favourite Refn too, narrowly edging out Only God Forgives.
whats only god forgives like, keep meaning to give it a watch.
Old 8th February 2017, 10:15 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
whats only god forgives like, keep meaning to give it a watch.
I (briefly) reviewed it when I first watched it here.

It certainly won't be to everyone's taste but if you dig Refn's style/aesthetic you should at least get something out of it. Like Neon Demon, it attracted its fair share of hate and criticism.
Old 8th February 2017, 10:50 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Oh no, Only God Forgives pisses over The Neon Demon to put it bluntly.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th February 2017, 03:47 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Cheers B_E it has been constantly on my mind since i watched it.
Old 8th February 2017, 04:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Cheers B_E it has been constantly on my mind since i watched it.
What's it like having three things constantly on your mind?
Old 9th February 2017, 01:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

A BLADE IN THE DARK – A late giallo from Lamberto Bava. It's about a musician who's been asked to soundtrack a horror movie in a house with a past (and a murderer, natch). One 'interesting' thing about it that it's an early example of a horror film going the meta- route, or being quite self-referential. Not in the same way as wannabe mind blowers like 'Detention' or 'Last Cabin in the Woods', nor exercises in stylistic sass like 'Scream', but still it's about film, about the mechanics of making a movie, there's a film within a film etc etc – someone's even strangled with a strip of celluloid. Visually, maybe it takes its cue from 'Tenebrae' in some ways in that it turns away from the colourful pop-psychedelia of seventies gialli and embraces a cooler, more austere feel for the eighties. There's something quite eerie about the vast, sterile looking modern house in it, and the film does well atmospherically, building up a sense of brooding menace that crystallises out in some brutal killings. There's also something slightly strange about it all, something chilly and abstract that I can't put my finger on. Maybe that's just down to the combination of atmosphere and the ideas, which make the whole thing seem game-like in some sinister, covert way, almost metaphysical. On the downside, it does mess things up a bit in its latter half and becomes slightly baggy and uninvolving in places, plus there's a well worn resolution to everything which makes sense as a filmic reference, but still seems a bit tired. Good overall, though. I was going to get the 88 Films release, but noticed that my Vipco disc looks pretty good still.

HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP – A Roger Corman rip-off from the early eighties, 'Humanoids From the Deep' has sexually inappropriate sea monsters who look like they're from a dark version of Pertwee-era Dr Who. The combination of exploitative nastiness and clunky prosthetics promises to be a winner, but has to contend with a lumbering plot about the politics of salmon fishing in a small American town. The boring bits are worth trudging through to get to mean spirited mutant attacks and a messy monster birth scene. Stylistically it's a bit flat, but it still has that gritty, dour early eighties feel to it in some ways.

THE PIT – Very strange film about an alienated twelve year old geek who's also a budding sex pest. He's often found perving at his childminder, or engineering highly unlikely blackmail type scenarios which involve getting his neighbours to strip before their front room windows. All this aside, the bigger deal for anyone in this film with an interest in self preservation is that there is this Pit. It's out there in the forest and is full of primeval beings who are about to discover the great taste of human flesh – and the kid knows about it etc etc. What a weird one. I'd seen it before, and felt the same way about it after this latest viewing, namely that it struck me as simultaneously a bit uninvolving and grimly attractive. Or maybe just disjointed, odd and flummoxing. One thing that gets in the way a little is its flatness. It has a TV movie type aridity to it, and sometimes films like this from the late seventies and early eighties can make that work in a numb, dissociated way, but here I didn't like it so much. The first hour drags a little whilst we're introduced to the kid and his brewing nastiness, but at least it's peppered with head scratchers like the guessing game the film seems to be playing around the nature of that teddy bear (does it really talk to the kid, or is all a hallucination? No, it's real, but so what!). The mayhem is concentrated at the end. The upside of all of this for someone like me is that 'The Pit' is just, well, f*cked up. Ultimately, not a very likeable movie perhaps, but a must see for anyone interested in how casually skewed genre filmmaking could get in the not too distant past.
Old 9th February 2017, 09:13 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
A BLADE IN THE DARK – I was going to get the 88 Films release, but noticed that my Vipco disc looks pretty good still.

I thought the same, so didn't bother.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!