Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 273769)
I thought it was boring rubbish and the two young leads really grated on my nerves. I thought the girl was awful and not a very good actress at all. Still, each to their own and all that, but my advice would be to steer well clear of it. :lol:

Not the review i needed. :rolleyes:

:lol:

pedromonkey 16th September 2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 273584)
90%? That's a bit harsh. There's some terrific films on the dreaded list...

Tenebrae
Inferno
Flesh for Frankenstein
Anthropophagous
House by the Cemetery
Zombie Flesh Eaters
The Beyond
Nightmares in a Damaged Brain
Absurd
Night Train Murders
A Bay of Blood (Bloodbath)
The Burning
The Bogey Man (The Boogeyman)
Cannibal Holocaust
Cannibal Apocalypse
Dead and Buried
Don't Go in the House
The Evil Dead
The Funhouse
House on the Edge of the Park
I Spit On Your Grave
Last House on the Left
Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue
Possession
Shogun Assassin
The Witch Who Came from the Sea

That seems a bit bigger than 10%. Are you really saying that all of the above are shit? There's a fair few Shameless/Arrow titles on that list. So you hate what Shameless and Arrow release?

yeah ok, maybe 90% is a bit harsh, but to be honest i've found a fair few shameless and arrow releases to be poor excuses for films. Slaughter High, Midnight, Street Trash are awful films and some shameless releases such as The Beast In Space, Ratman and Satan's Babydoll are terrible films.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 273777)
yeah ok, maybe 90% is a bit harsh, but to be honest i've found a fair few shameless and arrow releases to be poor excuses for films. Slaughter High, Midnight, Street Trash are awful films and some shameless releases such as The Beast In Space, Ratman and Satan's Babydoll are terrible films.

Street Trash terrible??? :shocked::crazy:

I love it. :happy:

demonknight 16th September 2012 02:11 PM

Street trash is terrible.

Watched faces of death last night. Didn't do much for me. Slaughter footage hard to watch. Hadn't seen it before,so last night was totally out of curiosity for me. Definitely not a chick flick.

James Morton 16th September 2012 02:14 PM

saw GUTTERBALLS and imo its Ryan Nicholson's best film to date, better tham LIVE FEED and THE HANGER
GUTTERBALLS is a gory honage to 70's and 80's slashers

Beyond72 16th September 2012 05:22 PM

Curtains (1983)
- Even with the trouble behind the scenes, it still has it's moments!

The Creeper (AKA Rituals, 1977)
- I always say it, but the way it captures "being lost in the middle of nowhere" is superb.

Mutant (1984)
-If only the rest of the movie was as energetic and fun as the last 15 minutes!

mercury 16th September 2012 05:22 PM

Antichrist (1974):pop2:

Make Them Die Slowly 16th September 2012 07:23 PM

So Dem, who are you going to believe regarding "The Innkeepers": Cult Labs very own Tim Leary or a self confessed Danny Dyer fan?:lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 273849)
So Dem, who are you going to believe regarding "The Innkeepers": Cult Labs very own Tim Leary or a self confessed Danny Dyer fan?:lol:

Its a tough one really MTDS. :confused:

When i only knew Daemonia as Dracula the Prince of Darkness it was obviously going to be him.

The tie-dye t-shirts worry me though. :lol:

Given that i really like The House of the Devil, i think i'll listen to you. :)

Make Them Die Slowly 16th September 2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 273855)
Its a tough one really MTDS. :confused:

When i only knew Daemonia as Dracula the Prince of Darkness it was obviously going to be him.

The tie-dye t-shirts worry me though. :lol:

Given that i really like The House of the Devil, i think i'll listen to you. :)

Apologies in advance if you think it is shite.

Rik 16th September 2012 08:38 PM

Just finished watching my rental of The Aggression Scale, brilliant film and one I highly recommend, one of the best thrillers I've seen all year. Another stellar recommendation from Cult Labs :)

Vampix 16th September 2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 273786)
Street trash is terrible.

Street Trash is a terrible film when you look at it from a regular film fan's point of view, but it has a certain charm to it that only fans of off-the-wall cinema can appreciate IMO. :)

pedromonkey 16th September 2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 273869)
Street Trash is a terrible film when you look at it from a regular film fan's point of view, but it has a certain charm to it that only fans of off-the-wall cinema can appreciate IMO. :)

i can appreciate off the wall charm, i just don't think it's a very good film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 273875)
i can appreciate off the wall charm, i just don't think it's a very good film.

Well you're wrong. :lol:

Seriously though, i always thought it was a fan favourite. I didn't realise it had so much divided opinion.

Edit - It must be crap it doesn't even seem to warrant a thread on here. :pound:

Daemonia 16th September 2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 273857)
Apologies in advance if you think it is shite.

That's not very reassuring. Apologising in advance is always a bad sign. :lol:

Dem, why don't you rent it?

And Tim Leary? Well, I don't mind that comparison. Except for the dead part, I don't want to copy that bit.

Make Them Die Slowly 16th September 2012 11:34 PM

LIVID. This new film by the directors of "Inside" is a complete change of direction from the excesses of their earlier film and is more a dark fairy tale set safely within the conventional horror genre, that is, until about 50 minutes in when it goes utterly bonkers. I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it but think Jean Rollins and "Lemora, A Child's Tale of the Supernatural" with weird snippets of European folklore and the Brothers Grim added to the mix. My only grumble with the film is that some of the gore distracts from the dream like quality of the film. Highly recommended.

keirarts 17th September 2012 07:16 AM

Dredd 3d.

Had to bite the bullet and see this in 3d, no 2d screenings whatsoever!

Fortunately the film has some very creative uses for the 3d so it wasn't as annoying as I thought it would be.

The film itself is excellent, equally as good if not for me slightly better than THE RAID. A solid 18 cert action movie that while apparently made on a lower budget managed to capture dredd so much better than the bloated stallone movie. As a long-time 2000ad reader I appreciated the little nods throughout the film, for example seeing Chopper with the smiley face o spray-painted on the block walls. Highly recommended.

p.s. check out the little shout out to matt berry in the movie!

Hawkmonger 17th September 2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 273894)
Dredd 3d.

Had to bite the bullet and see this in 3d, no 2d screenings whatsoever!

Fortunately the film has some very creative uses for the 3d so it wasn't as annoying as I thought it would be.

The film itself is excellent, equally as good if not for me slightly better than THE RAID. A solid 18 cert action movie that while apparently made on a lower budget managed to capture dredd so much better than the bloated stallone movie. As a long-time 2000ad reader I appreciated the little nods throughout the film, for example seeing Chopper with the smiley face o spray-painted on the block walls. Highly recommended.

p.s. check out the little shout out to matt berry in the movie!

How did I miss that! :censored: Now i'm gonna have to go and see it again. :happy:
Nice nod to Fergee appreciation day though. Either there on about the Fergee that killed Cal or someone finaly offed Rob Schneider.

James Morton 17th September 2012 02:22 PM

MIDNIGHT MOVIE on the horror channel last night
not a bad horror film with supernatural elements and inspirations from F13, DEMONS, STAGEFRIGHT and PSYCHO

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th September 2012 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scream of Fear aka Taste of Fear

In the midst of their Gothic heyday Hammer released Taste of Fear, a gorgeous looking black and white thriller that is essentially a "lets scare the nice lady to death" type film. Hammers version of Les Diaboliques, its less effective than the French classic but still very good. The black and white cinematography creates a haunting atmosphere which is helped by some decent jump moments.

The film stars Susan Strasberg as a woman who returns home from abroad and is haunted by the corpse of her father.

Thats it plot wise, anything else will spoil your enjoyment. Be warned if you decide to give it a go - Take nothing for granted.

Highly recommended.

Nordicdusk 17th September 2012 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 80281

Watched Inside last night. Great film really had me on edge all the time. I was not on the edge because of scares or anything but what was going to be done to the pregnant woman next. I had heard that this film was so sick but i felt it was ok until the scene on the stairs :shocked:

Susan Foreman 17th September 2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 273939)
MIDNIGHT MOVIE on the horror channel last night
not a bad horror film with supernatural elements and inspirations from F13, DEMONS, STAGEFRIGHT and PSYCHO

Recorded it to watch at a later date

Make Them Die Slowly 17th September 2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 273997)
Attachment 80281

Watched Inside last night. Great film really had me on edge all the time. I was not on the edge because of scares or anything but what was going to be done to the pregnant woman next. I had heard that this film was so sick but i felt it was ok until the scene on the stairs :shocked:

You should check out the directors' new film "Livid". It starts out as a fairly standard kids in a spooky house film, before going into a very weird and wonderful fairytale.

g053584398 17th September 2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 273993)
Scream of Fear aka Taste of Fear

In the midst of their Gothic heyday Hammer released Taste of Fear, a gorgeous looking black and white thriller that is essentially a "lets scare the nice lady to death" type film. Hammers version of Les Diaboliques, its less effective than the French classic but still very good. The black and white cinematography creates a haunting atmosphere which is helped by some decent jump moments.

The film stars Susan Strasberg as a woman who returns home from abroad and is haunted by the corpse of her father.

Thats it plot wise, anything else will spoil your enjoyment. Be warned if you decide to give it a go - Take nothing for granted.

Highly recommended.

I saw it for the very first time a couple of weeks ago and I have to say that it was a very good thriller. Susan Strasberg was very easy on the eye as well.

Make Them Die Slowly 17th September 2012 08:34 PM

I watched "The Avengers" earlier with the boy and the girl Make Them Die Slowly. I enjoyed it even more than at the cinema. I also realised that for all the character development and underlying psychology of the Batman films, which I think are fantastic, all I really want from a superhero film is Hulk smashing shit out of things.

Nordicdusk 17th September 2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 274016)
You should check out the directors' new film "Livid". It starts out as a fairly standard kids in a spooky house film, before going into a very weird and wonderful fairytale.

Thank you very much i will seek this out.

Make Them Die Slowly 17th September 2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 274048)
Thank you very much i will seek this out.

Thank Mr Teardrop, it was his review on here that made me buy it in the first place otherwise I would not have bothered as I disliked "Inside".

Slippery Jack 17th September 2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 274050)
Thank Mr Teardrop, it was his review on here that made me buy it in the first place otherwise I would not have bothered as I disliked "Inside".

Isn't Beatrice Dalle in this new film too? I loved Inside by the way, by far my favourite of that crop of French nasties . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th September 2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 274053)
Isn't Beatrice Dalle in this new film too? I loved Inside by the way, by far my favourite of that crop of French nasties . . .

Mine too. :)

Make Them Die Slowly 17th September 2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 274053)

She is but you'll never believe in her...she plays a ghost.;)

Slippery Jack 17th September 2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 274067)
She is but you'll never believe in her...she plays a ghost.;)

That better not be a spoiler :doh:

I'm perfectly fine with fictional ghosts :lol: . . .

Make Them Die Slowly 17th September 2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 274070)
That better not be a spoiler :doh:

I'm perfectly fine with fictional ghosts :lol: . . .

Not really a spoiler, Dalle's in it for all of 5 seconds and has nothing to do with the plot. I have a feeling that she's in it as a "named actor". She also co-produced it.

Ken 17th September 2012 09:42 PM

Just watched the new DVD "Hunger Games" on BR which i bought last week.

I found it to be a slow start but it picked up and i really enjoyed it. I'm not gonna say much about it, so that i don't give any spoilers away for those that have'nt watched it yet. Would be interested on anyone's thoughts if you have seen it, as the wife did'nt quite enjoy as much as me but still thought it was ok.

antmumford 18th September 2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken (Post 274080)
Just watched the new DVD "Hunger Games" on BR which i bought last week.

I found it to be a slow start but it picked up and i really enjoyed it. I'm not gonna say much about it, so that i don't give any spoilers away for those that have'nt watched it yet. Would be interested on anyone's thoughts if you have seen it, as the wife did'nt quite enjoy as much as me but still thought it was ok.

I saw this at the cinema on my holiday in Florida earlier this year. My fiance and I both thoroughly enjoyed it. Then again we are easily pleased when it comes to childrens book adaptations, we both love the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson films too. Kelly collects Hardback childrens books and I collect blu's so we both need to get this ourselves actually. I need to get the HMV Steelbook :pop2:

Rik 18th September 2012 08:18 AM

The Shawshank Redemption, greatest Stephen King adaption ever and quite possibly the greatest film ever

Baseball Fury 18th September 2012 09:42 AM

I don't get why anybody watches anything on the Horror Channel. It's like you've rubbed Vaseline over your telly beforehand.

Maybe it's because my TV is quite big, I dunno, but it looks so bad.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th September 2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 274135)
I don't get why anybody watches anything on the Horror Channel. It's like you've rubbed Vaseline over your telly beforehand.

Maybe it's because my TV is quite big, I dunno, but it looks so bad.

Its the adverts that ruin it for me.

A couple of years ago i recorded a load of films, but you end up fast forwarding the adverts which completely ruins any atmosphere or possible tension the films may have created.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th September 2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 274142)
Its the adverts that ruin it for me.

A couple of years ago i recorded a load of films, but you end up fast forwarding the adverts which completely ruins any atmosphere or possible tension the films may have created.

That's exactly why I never (or extremely rarely) watch or record of film from commercial TV – it's always BBC or Sky Movies. Fortunately, I own most, if not all, of the good movies they show one FilmFour.

If I don't, I'll just add them to my Lovefilm rental queue so I can watch the film in one go from beginning to end without any breaks or interruptions.

Make Them Die Slowly 18th September 2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 274135)

I can name at least 6 people on here, who, oddly enough, rub themselves with Vaseline before watching a film.

James Morton 18th September 2012 02:42 PM

saw THE DARKROOM on the horror channel (i recorded the film without the ads)
TD is an excellent and underrated psychological horror