All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179635Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2017, 03:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Dogtooth (2009)

I'm so pleased i went into this film cold. The back cover blurb really doesn't go into detail as to what unfolds before your eyes. Dogtooth is a disturbing, intense, experience featuring wildly dark humour, incest, sex, (strong), sporadic violence and total bizarreness in a film that can only be described as f**ked up.

Lets make it simple and say it's about a disturbed or perhaps religious family who don't get out much, except the father who drives to work every day and on occasions brings home a female colleague for his son to screw. That's in the first five minutes and then things get really offbeat and twisted.

I was totally immersed in the film from the off. The performances are all excellent and the ideas on display are both surreal and deeply affecting at the same time and pose so many questions about the ways and norms of todays society. I know it sounds pretentious but the film is far from it and many like myself will find themselves totally submerged in this extremely atypical movie.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dogtooth_ver3.jpg (59.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 29th April 2017, 05:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Dogtooth (2009)

I'm so pleased i went into this film cold. The back cover blurb really doesn't go into detail as to what unfolds before your eyes. Dogtooth is a disturbing, intense, experience featuring wildly dark humour, incest, sex, (strong), sporadic violence and total bizarreness in a film that can only be described as f**ked up.

Lets make it simple and say it's about a disturbed or perhaps religious family who don't get out much, except the father who drives to work every day and on occasions brings home a female colleague for his son to screw. That's in the first five minutes and then things get really offbeat and twisted.

I was totally immersed in the film from the off. The performances are all excellent and the ideas on display are both surreal and deeply affecting at the same time and pose so many questions about the ways and norms of todays society. I know it sounds pretentious but the film is far from it and many like myself will find themselves totally submerged in this extremely atypical movie.

Highly recommended.
Yeah, i think it's a really disturbing little film.

The 'crashed' plane and how they describe the arrival of the puppy is just so ****ed up.
Old 29th April 2017, 05:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Yeah, i think it's a really disturbing little film.

The 'crashed' plane and how they describe the arrival of the puppy is just so ****ed up.
Ha'ha yes.

When i look on my lawn i see zombies coming out of the earth everywhere.
Old 29th April 2017, 07:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Excellent one of the best horrors I've seen in a long time. Atmospheric and creepy with good effects and gore. If you like Lovecraft, King, the Thing and stranger things I think you will love this as much as I did, can see it by coming a classic. 9.2/10
Old 29th April 2017, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sully (2016)

The true story of Chesley Sullenberger, an American pilot who became a hero in 2009 after landing his damaged plane on the Hudson River in new York in order to save the flight's passengers and crew. However, even as Sully was being heralded by the public and the media for his unprecedented feat of aviation skill, an investigation was unfolding that threatened to destroy his reputation and his career.

Not only is Clint Eastwood's film an exciting part disaster film it's also a gripping human drama as the investigation into Sully's and to a lesser extent co-pilot Jeff Skiles actions, nears conclusion. Tom Hanks and Aaron Eckhart are both excellent as pilot and co-pilot and it seemed almost pathetic in the eyes of the public and the media that they were being tried in effect for saving every life on a seemingly doomed plane. The investigators are gung-ho at first, their belief in computers and simulators unwavering and it's almost a big 'two fingers' moment when they realize their investigation and all the flight simulators in the world are no match for human spirit.

A cracking film. Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190560.jpg (81.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 29th April 2017, 11:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Dogtooth (2009)

Highly recommended.

Amazing film. Watched it first without subs. Ahem. See also The Lobster

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th April 2017, 08:37 AM
Cult Master

IMAG0307.jpg

Here we go got up nice and early some cappuccinos to kick the morning off and the first in the marathon. The rain is belting down outside it's dark and miserable perfect day for some premarital sex slaughter and watching Friday The 13th series
Old 30th April 2017, 08:51 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 189935

Here we go got up nice and early some cappuccinos to kick the morning off and the first in the marathon. The rain is belting down outside it's dark and miserable perfect day for some premarital sex slaughter and watching Friday The 13th series
Good luck, the first 2 are a bit of a chore these days but the fun comes soon!
Nordicdusk likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 30th April 2017, 09:07 AM
Cult Addict

Homebodies

homebodies-movie-poster-1974-1020240054.jpg

Another film i'd read about briefly in on of my Horror Film books that sounded intriguing to me. It's on youtube in a print that has the speech out of synch, which is really frustrating.
But i managed to find a non legit copy on the internet as it's only been released once apparently on VHS back in the day.

Anyways, what we have here is a nicely understated but ghoulish little blackly comic drama, centred around some old people living in a run down apartment block.
There are developers with plans to construct a high rise, so the oldies are being given their marching orders and told to vacate the building.

Having lived there for a long while, surrounded by their memories the pensioners are not very happy with the plans and decide to fight back, firstly killing a social worker they then progress to causing accidents to dispose of the construction workers, ultimately leading to the oldies turning on each other.

I really liked this, it's predominately a social drama that recognises and focuses on the plight of the coffin dodgers as they are left to themselves, ignored and misunderstood by the younger generations.

The characters are interesting and well played, especially the foremost character Mattie who comes across as young at heart and determined not to be pushed aside, she is the one who first fights back.
She reminded me of Ruth Gordon, the sprightly old lady from Rosemarys baby, Harold and Maude and those Clint Eastwood monkey movies. Who i always find a pleasure to watch.
Mattie sits there eating sandwiches with a smile on her face as construction workers get roasted alive.

homebodies-2.jpg

These scenes and many others kinda reminded me of old cartoons such as Tom and Jerry/Roadrunner etc where something grim is happening but the whole thing is treated in a lighthearted whimsical way.

Whilst not laugh out load funny, this was an amusingly entertaining film that doesn't deserve it's obscurity. It's not very bloody, but the performances are really what make the film.
It also features a Pedalo chase scene at one point that i found really amusing.
And would make a great double bill with 'Night of Death', another film featuring
Psychotic old people.

Recommended 8/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 30th April 2017, 10:15 AM
Cult Master

FridayThe13thPoster.jpg

We all know the story here so no need for a rundown on that. All i'll say it momma aint happy and when momma aint happy some shits gonna go down like the dead of some teens giving in to the sins of the flesh. Mrs Voorhees the ultimate in birth control 100% of the time she works everytime.

Over the years it seems that the first film has lost its impact on people with alot of fans of the series saying it's not one that they revisit often if at all but i do still enjoy it. Its not as killtastic as what's to follow but still fun to me. The boat scene at the end is still creepy and i always think of it whenever i'm out fishing and just looking at the water.

7/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!