Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th August 2017, 10:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Funhouse [1981]

The Funhouse [1981]
I had only just watched Funhouse again the other week,and since it was still in reaching distance I decided to spin it again in honour of the late great Mr Hooper.Now I know this one splits the fans,you either love it or hate it,and im firmly on the side of loving it.Starting with its Halloween pastiche and a goofy tribute to Psycho with a rubber knive and its peeping tom of a youngster as tries to scare his older sister in the shower,which totally back fires as she lambastes him with the threat of revenge,(something which comes back to haunt him later on). Its prime 80's slasher (if rather bloodless) as our four teens freak out at the side show carnival's which include two headed cows,babies in jars and some dancing ladies who have seen better days.But hey lets hide inside the Funhouse and have sex,which is all well and good just a shame about all the inbreeding and hideously deformed son of the carny and the fortune telling Sylvia Miles as Madame Zena who also dabbles in prostitution. Its all darkly comic and perverse,the main carnival barker Kevin Conway plays several different characters hinting not so subtly that there may be a history of inbreeding amongst the family.Ive always enjoyed this ever since those hazy days of video rental,from its crazy characters to its by the numbers format,one jock,one virgin,one nerd and a slightly slutty one.I always felt sorry for the horror loving kid,Shawn Carson as Joey Harper,as his night starts badly and steadily gets worse,not to mention his alcoholic parents who show an alarming lack of parental care for there youngest.I know its not the fans favourite but this and Eaten Alive (Death Trap) I find both immensely entertaining and somewhat disturbing in some places.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81koAVHy8tL._SL1500_.jpg (99.4 KB, 3 views)

Old 27th August 2017, 10:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I'll have to watch The Funhouse again soon. That's what this place does. Makes you want to revisit films you originally didn't like.
Old 27th August 2017, 10:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Isn't Death Wish 3 a Cannon film then ?
Exemplary as always FT!! anytime is Halloween 3 time

Night Train To Inverness (1960, Ernest Morris)
When hubby Norman Woodland 'kidnaps' his son Dennis Waterman Sylvia Harris has no choice but to call in the filth (Valentine Dyall). At the heart of this film is the British disease. If Sylvia's mother could only shut her trap for a minute to give the poor girl time to think etc. Norm absconds with help from a blonde called Marion Crane ! Busy year ahem .... Plus as a time capsule tis priceless. Smoking in an enclosed space with a sick child. Smoking indoors at all An absolute find even if the Pegasus dvd looked like arse at points

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th August 2017, 10:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I rate all the Death Wish films. They've been staples of my film collecting since the beginning.
Old 27th August 2017, 11:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I rate all the Death Wish films. They've been staples of my film collecting since the beginning.
Don't tell anyone but I prefer 2 and 3 in the DW series,and talking of Cannon the documentary Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films is excellent.

Old 27th August 2017, 11:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Don't tell anyone but I prefer 2 and 3 in the DW series,and talking of Cannon the documentary Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films is excellent.
Death Wish 3 is my favourite of the lot.

Don't tell SymbioticFunction though.
Old 27th August 2017, 11:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Death Wish 3 is my favourite of the lot.

Don't tell SymbioticFunction though.
Alex Winter certainly didn't enjoy his acting debut on Death WISH 3 IF what he says on the documentary is anything to go by.....
keirarts likes this.

Old 27th August 2017, 11:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Alex Winter certainly didn't enjoy his acting debut on Death WISH 3 IF what he says on the documentary is anything to go by.....
What does he say?
Old 27th August 2017, 11:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
What does he say?
he whinges about the stereotyping of the black and Hispanic characters,and about the way Mr Winner treated some of the actors ,im sure allot of it was tongue in cheek,Apparently Mr Bronson was very aloof as well... I mean come on he was working for Cannon films what did he expect...

Old 27th August 2017, 11:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
he whinges about the stereotyping of the black and Hispanic characters,and about the way Mr Winner treated some of the actors ,im sure allot of it was tongue in cheek,Apparently Mr Bronson was very aloof as well... I mean come on he was working for Cannon films what did he expect...

Whoa! You mean Winner and Bronson weren't excellent? Dude, that's bogus.

yep, i can see why Bronson was aloof.

Like this? Share it using the links below!