Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th August 2017, 11:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching Boyka: Undisputed (2017, Todor Chaparov)
Which with Avi Lerner as one of the producers and twas written by Boaz Davidson doesn't make it a Cannon .... more of a musket really
Adkins fights against all comers and an atrocious Roosian accent the like of which I 'ave never heard in all my puff to be the best kicker in of folk.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th August 2017, 12:22 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Watching Boyka: Undisputed (2017, Todor Chaparov)
Which with Avi Lerner as one of the producers and twas written by Boaz Davidson doesn't make it a Cannon .... more of a musket really
Adkins fights against all comers and an atrocious Roosian accent the like of which I 'ave never heard in all my puff to be the best kicker in of folk.
I bet Lerner has more production credits than Corman.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 28th August 2017, 08:50 AM
Cult Addict

Robocop

The local vue was showing this in their 4K season (previous films shown, the graduate and heat). I don't really need to praise the film as spectacularly well realised satire as its been praised to death already. Just f****** thrilled to finally see it theatrically.
Old 28th August 2017, 10:22 AM
Cult Acolyte

The Circle. Emma Watson (yay!) is a struggling young woman whose best friend (Karen Gillan, yay!) gets her a job at a massive tech company known as The Circle, which is obsessed with connecting everything online and having the whole world, and everyone it, always under observation. Grateful and overawed at everything around her, Emma well and truly drinks the Kool-Aid, to the extent of agreeing to be "observed" basically all day, every day, and rapidly rises within the company to gain the ear of its founders (Tom Hanks and Patton Oswalt). But her involvement with the company gradually begins to erode at her friendships and family, and ultimately results in tragedy... This high-tech drama/thriller seems to have been widely panned, though I've no idea why, to be honest. It's well acted by all, certainly benefiting from the presence and charisma of Watson, Hanks and Gillan, and as an introverted anti-social git who hates social media anyway, I found it all very creepy and disturbing. It's also rather unsettling that both Watson's screen parents here, Bill Paxton and Glenne Headly, died between shooting and release. A solid flick.
Old 28th August 2017, 10:43 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Robocop

Just f****** thrilled to finally see it theatrically
You impudent young pup

Some of us saw it at the cinema when it was originally released, 30 years ago!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 28th August 2017, 11:08 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
The Circle. Emma Watson (yay!) is a struggling young woman whose best friend (Karen Gillan, yay!) gets her a job at a massive tech company known as The Circle, which is obsessed with connecting everything online and having the whole world, and everyone it, always under observation. Grateful and overawed at everything around her, Emma well and truly drinks the Kool-Aid, to the extent of agreeing to be "observed" basically all day, every day, and rapidly rises within the company to gain the ear of its founders (Tom Hanks and Patton Oswalt). But her involvement with the company gradually begins to erode at her friendships and family, and ultimately results in tragedy... This high-tech drama/thriller seems to have been widely panned, though I've no idea why, to be honest. It's well acted by all, certainly benefiting from the presence and charisma of Watson, Hanks and Gillan, and as an introverted anti-social git who hates social media anyway, I found it all very creepy and disturbing. It's also rather unsettling that both Watson's screen parents here, Bill Paxton and Glenne Headly, died between shooting and release. A solid flick.
I'm glad you liked it iank. When you first expressed interest in seeing it i thought you'd be quite disappointed. I thought it was ultimately a very empty film and the way Hermione just falls hook line and sinker somewhat diminished any sense of the sinister it may otherwise have had. Also the severe lack of lesbian sex scenes featuring Watson and Gillan just finished the film in my eyes.
Old 28th August 2017, 11:32 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
You impudent young pup

Some of us saw it at the cinema when it was originally released, 30 years ago!
I was 7. They wouldn't let me in. Besides this was the uncut version. Not the wussified r-rated cut!
Old 28th August 2017, 11:34 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
IAlso the severe lack of lesbian sex scenes featuring Watson and Gillan just finished the film in my eyes.
I'd be watching it every day if they included that
J Harker likes this.
Old 28th August 2017, 04:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
MONSTER DOG – Well, it's a Claudio Fragasso movie, so make of that what you will. In some ways, 'Monster Dog' is a thing of real bizarreness – it centres on Alice Cooper (who for a good half of the runtime looks like someone's dad), a familial werewolf curse, and a town full of runaway dogs which kill people now and then. Alice is back on his home turf to re-shoot a rock video with some pals who all suffer from an extreme case of Euro-woodenness (I'm talking about the acting). His enthusiasm takes a dive when he finds out that he might be the son of a wolf-man, but, being a seasoned pro, he does the video thing and changes into his stage gear, which at least gives him an excuse to run around looking like a middle aged Alice Cooper impersonator for the rest of the film. A posse of dudes who look like they might be in a sort-of Spag Western turn up and do some shooting until the tragic end. 'Monster Dog' has all the ingredients necessary for essential late Italian trash badness, but it doesn't quite ripen into the classic bilge it might've been. There's a little too much lag in places, and the exploitative aspects aren't mined fully. Nevertheless, being a Fragasso film, it wears its lameness on its sleeve and delivers plenty of threadbare charm.

ZOMBIE CREEPING FLESH – Been a long time since I last touched base with this Bruno Mattei baddie – I was worried I might be bored, as I'd pegged ZCF as a bit of a yawner. I really liked it, actually. Whereas Fulci furnished his rip-offs with an atmosphere that was his and only his, ZCF has no real style or vibe, apart from that belonging to late seventies / early eighties cut throat Italian exploitation. Actually, being a Bruno Mattei film, it has an additional layer of nonsensicality, which as always borders on the unintentionally surreal. It's a movie of set pieces and moments – between these, downtime, made up of jungle trecking, bickering conversation and stock footage of wildlife (hardly necessary to pad out a film over ninety minutes long). Some of the 'pivotal' sequences are eerily effective – the bit in the native village has a strange air about it, reaching into Mondo territory with its shots of tribal gatherings and people picking maggots out of corpses to eat. Really lurid, leering stuff, and all the more brazen when you consider the film's wraparound narrative about third world exploitation. But ZCF has no coherent ideology, it's pure pulp, pretty much summed up by the scene where one of the SWAT team guys goes into the basement of a house riddled with zombies and does what anyone would do, puts on a tutu and starts dancing around.

Good to see nothing but top shelf entertainment in the Teardrop home

I loved seeing MONSTER DOG back when it came out on Beta,I remember thinking Alice Cooper in a Horror movie this has got to be the greatest movie ever......
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 28th August 2017, 05:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mate came round with one 'last' box of vhs.

Hopscotch (1980, Ronald Neame)
Walter Matthau, Glenda Jackson, Sam Waterson and Ned Beatty globetrot in a spook-y fashion ... Reasonable enough espionage yarn. As the last third is set in England tis a great time capsule ....

Fear City next

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!