Like Tree179653Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th November 2017, 11:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Look, here's the matches ....
I give up

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st December 2017, 08:47 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Look, here's the matches ....
I give up
Sounds like you are saying we are heretics for liking Zombie Lake despite it being er' wonky?

D, do you actually think it some sort of masterpiece?
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 1st December 2017, 09:25 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Jigsaw (2017)

*** out of *****

Justice League (2017)

It isn’t horrible, and it’s actually pretty good fun overall. But that’s just it - it’s merely pretty good, when it should’ve been something great on the same level of the first Avengers, considering the source material and the massive budget the filmmakers had to work with.

The tone is colourful unlike the dour Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. The chemistry and the humour between the team members is spot on. Despite the weak development of their characters, the cast are all solid, especially Gal Gorgot, who continues to impress as Wonder Woman, and Ezra Miller as the Barry Allen Flash. Jason Momoa makes for a very cool Aquaman. Ben Affleck deserves his shot at a solo Batman film working from a better screenplay. Props to Ray Fisher as Cyborg too.

The action set-pieces are largely entertaining, if you can get over the overuse of some shitty CGI. This brings me to Steppenwolf, easily one of the worst villains ever portrayed in a comic book movie; I cringed every time he was on screen, and when the major antagonist is this weak, it’s a big problem. The plot is wafer-thin. The stakes really don’t feel high - I never once sensed the world was on the brink of apocalypse. The way the team comes together seems forced, not organic like The Avengers, as the MCU was planned from the beginning, unlike this struggling DCEU.

It’s worth a watch… but maybe just the one time.

*** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 1st December 2017, 09:26 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Jigsaw (2017)

*** out of *****

Justice League (2017)

It isn’t horrible, and it’s actually pretty good fun overall. But that’s just it - it’s merely pretty good, when it should’ve been something great on the same level of the first Avengers, considering the source material and the massive budget the filmmakers had to work with.

The tone is colourful unlike the dour Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. The chemistry and the humour between the team members is spot on. Despite the weak development of their characters, the cast are all solid, especially Gal Gorgot, who continues to impress as Wonder Woman, and Ezra Miller as the Barry Allen Flash, and Jason Momoa makes for a very cool Aquaman. Ben Affleck deserves his shot at a solo Batman film working from a better screenplay. Props to Ray Fisher as Cyborg too.

The action set-pieces are largely entertaining, if you can get over the overuse of some shitty CGI. This brings me to Steppenwolf, easily one of the worst villains ever portrayed in a comic book movie; I cringed every time he was on screen, and when the major antagonist is this weak, it’s a big problem. The plot is wafer-thin. The stakes really don’t feel high - I never once sensed the world was on the brink of apocalypse. The way the team comes together seems forced, not organic like The Avengers, as the MCU was planned from the beginning, unlike this struggling DCEU.

*** out of *****

Would have preferred your thoughts on JIgsaw than Justice League, CS.
Old 1st December 2017, 09:47 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'd rank it up there with the better entries in the series - 1, 2, 3 & 6. I'm not a massive fan of the franchise, but I have enjoyed these ones, and this was better than it had any right to be, as it's an eighth instalment. The acting is serviceable to the needs of the plot, I liked the characters, the dialogue didn't irritatingly over-rely on the F word like earlier films, I liked how it was lit, it's briskly paced, it kept me guessing, and the twist is satisfying. Although it has its gory moments, there's nothing as extreme as say in 4... that is until the final scene. I actually liked that it didn't go for gross for the sake of being gross. Overall, it's nothing ground-breaking, but fans should be entertained.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 1st December 2017, 12:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'd rank it up there with the better entries in the series - 1, 2, 3 & 6. I'm not a massive fan of the franchise, but I have enjoyed these ones, and this was better than it had any right to be, as it's an eighth instalment. The acting is serviceable to the needs of the plot, I liked the characters, the dialogue didn't irritatingly over-rely on the F word like earlier films, I liked how it was lit, it's briskly paced, it kept me guessing, and the twist is satisfying. Although it has its gory moments, there's nothing as extreme as say in 4... that is until the final scene. I actually liked that it didn't go for gross for the sake of being gross. Overall, it's nothing ground-breaking, but fans should be entertained.
Thanks. Seems like one for the collection when it hits dvd then.
keirarts and Cinematic Shocks like this.
Old 1st December 2017, 01:00 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Jigsaw (2017)

*** out of *****

Justice League (2017)

The tone is colourful unlike the dour Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. The chemistry and the humour between the team members is spot on. Despite the weak development of their characters, the cast are all solid, especially Gal Gorgot, who continues to impress as Wonder Woman, and Ezra Miller as the Barry Allen Flash. Jason Momoa makes for a very cool Aquaman. Ben Affleck deserves his shot at a solo Batman film working from a better screenplay. Props to Ray Fisher as Cyborg too.

*** out of *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I would have preferred thoughts on both films

Too many people are just posting a trailer and a mark/10

This doesn't tell me anything about the film, other than what the studio wants me to know (which is that this film in question is the greatest thing since sliced bread!)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 1st December 2017, 07:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Rollin had some good ideas but some movies were never the best but they are ok to pass the time
No, Dem. My matches comment was directed at this ... by the time the bloody phone had posted it ... ahem. Zombie Lake is a chumbucket of a film. Any remake couldn't fail to 'improve' on it (effects wise anyhow ... green paint ain't scary)
I'm a Shock Waves man through and through

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st December 2017, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
No, Dem. My matches comment was directed at this ... by the time the bloody phone had posted it ... ahem. Zombie Lake is a chumbucket of a film. Any remake couldn't fail to 'improve' on it (effects wise anyhow ... green paint ain't scary)
I'm a Shock Waves man through and through
Ha,ha! Shock Waves. The dullest zombie film in Christendom.

I have a lighter you can borrow. Save your matches.
Old 1st December 2017, 11:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The fun we have.
Watching Starcrash. Marjoe Mania!! It's gone aw festive? ... or am I having a stroke? I can smell the glue from here ... but is still far more entertaining than Valerian on a base level. And as this is the film I kept thinking of during V&TLCOP ....
A-Xmas-hem. Spinell's haircut almost offsets his atrocious dubbing ... almost.

I'll get me Coates ...

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!