Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2020, 10:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default The Boat That Rocked & Sixteen Candles

The Boat That Rocked

Under-rated Richard Curtis Comedy which chronicles the lives of a Pirate Radio Ship in 1966. Bill Nighy excels in this film which as some really funny moments and has a great 60's soundtrack. Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Chris O'Dowd and Nick Frosst co-star.

Sixteen Candles

Molly Ringwald turns 16 but her family forgets and deals with a crush on a boy and having the attentions of the geek. Ringwald portrays a 16 year old girl really well and you can see the angst she portrays in her character. Antony Michael Hall and John Cusack co-star.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tbtr.jpg (12.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg sc.jpg (12.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th June 2020, 10:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Spy Who Loved Me. 1977.

While investigating the hijacking of Russian, U.S. and British nuclear submarines, James Bond is teamed with K.G.B. Agent Amasova who's lover was killed by Bond.

One of Roger Moore's finest films as the British secret service agent, again like O.H.M.S.S. this one took a time to like and over watching i began to appreciate it. Barbara Bach teams up with the British as the Russian Agent on the hijacking and find out more from a microfilm that may lead them to the culprit.

Curt Jurgens plays the villain Karl Stromberg who wants the ultimate Atlantis underwater project with stealing the nuclear missiles and trying to start World War III and introduces one of the best henchman Jaws played by Richard Kiel and best helicopter pilot Naomi played by Caroline Munroe. Geoffrey Keen makes his first of many appearances as Sir Frderick Grey and more appearances by M and Q.

The underwater sequences are done spectacularly caputred by Claude Renoir and the underwater battle with a car that became a submarine and the henchmen, there is a bit of suspense when Bond does try to take out a bomb from a warhead and use it to blow up a control room. There is alot more action in this and makes it the best adeventure.

Spy-Loved-Me.jpg

[last lines]
[Bond and Anya are discovered making love]
M: 007!
General Anatol Gogol: XXX!
Sir Frederick Gray, Minister of Defence: Bond! What do you think you're doing?
James Bond: Keeping the British end up, sir.
Old 24th June 2020, 10:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

First time watching pete walker schizo,

Quite enjoyed it, old school atmospheric style horror, i had a suspicion he wasn't there to kill her tho.
Old 25th June 2020, 06:54 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wasn't sure where to put this but it's movie related so chose here .

Movie facts, can't imagine how back to the future would have worked out if they had stuck to original idea, A fridge as the time travelling machine.

Old 25th June 2020, 12:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

ca83bd390faab2b0e56be661ae509c1b.jpg
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951)

Excellent classic sci-fi with a message.
Bernard Herrmann's sinister score is just awesome.
What else to say but "Klaatu barada nikto"
Old 25th June 2020, 06:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Moonraker. 1979.

During a routine air flight a space shuttle Moonraker is hijacked and the plane carrier destroyed, Bond is sent to the owner Hugo Drax as to why there was no wreckage and uncovers a plot of global genocide.

The Roger Moore era as James Bond do seem to get better as well as Michael Lonsdale as the villain Drax as he seems to control himself as a man who has lost his spacecraft and telling his assistant that he wants some harm done to Mr Bond. Even when he wants a task done he has a calm deminer only to snap his fingers and release the hounds and does have some good sarcastic moments.

Lois Chiles plays Holly Goodhead (thank god Cubby Broccoli got that name first before Austin Powers did) a C.I.A. agent and astronaut who doesn't blow her cover at first until Bond discovers her identity. Richard Kiel returns as Jaws who seems impervious to pain until he gets a headbutt on a cable cart.

This one does have plenty of action and a nice space lazer fight outside Drax's orbit space station, Lewis Gilbert done a brilliant done directing this feature. Sadly this was Bernard Lee's outing as M but Q was still here and noticing Bond and Goodhead were attempting to re-entry in a shuttle, and Shirley Bassey's last time to sing the featured song.

moonraker-poster.jpg

[Bond and Drax are shooting pheasants]
Hugo Drax: You missed, Mr. Bond.
[a sniper falls from a tree]
James Bond: Did I?
Old 25th June 2020, 06:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

^ My favourite Bond.
trebor8273, iank and MrBarlow like this.
Old 25th June 2020, 09:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default McBain & An American Werewolf In London

McBain

Christopher Walken is the Vietnam Veteran who assembles his former team after another member is executed in Colombia after organizing a rebel takeover against a corrupt Dictator. Michael Ironside and Steve James star in this straight up Actioner which doesn't get too fancy.

An American Werewolf In London

Two American Students get attacked by a Werewolf and whilst one dies the other gets haunted by his dead friend that he'll turn into a Werewolf on the next full moon. Nice gory scenes along with some humor mixed in.

Is that what The Americans think what The Brits are like?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m2.jpg (14.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg aawil.jpg (13.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 25th June 2020, 09:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

For Your Eyes Only. 1981.

After disposing of a arch enemy, James Bond is assigned to find a British spy ship St. Georges that is equipped with a computer that can order it's own navy fleet to attack their own countries. He makes an encounter with Melina Havlock, who's father worked with the British and was gunned down by hitman and both try to find answers.

Another great outing for Roger Moore as Bond this time teaming up with Carole Bouguet as Melina and Topol as the smuggler Milos Columbo. Julian Glover stars as Kristatos who seems to help Bond by throwing him of the trail and hoping to eliminate his once trusted friend. Then we have Lynn-Holly Johnson as the figure skater Bibi who seems to like the older men of the tough silent ones. Michael Gothard play lunatic Locque who never says a word but his looks can say he is mad man and a small appearance by Charles Dance.

This was certainly action packed from the start with the helicopter and Bond disposing of the man Blofeld, to the boat blowing up and the ski chase on the bobsled run and the small building on the hill/cliff. Even though it may seemed fast paced this one never really sidetracked away from the plot and never gets dull or boring but gets more and more entertaining.

MV5BMzQ4YzUzNGQtMDNkYS00NTk5LTkyMDgtNmVkMjg5MjIzNTdmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDY2MTk1ODk@._V1_.jpg

[last lines]

The Prime Minister: [over the phone] Ah, Mr. Bond. I wanted to call you personnally and to say how pleased we all are that your mission was a success. Thank you.
Parrot: Thank you, thank you.
The Prime Minister: Don't thank me, Mr. Bond. Your courage and resourcefulness are a credit to the nation. Denis and I look forward to meeting you. Meanwhile, if there is anything I can do for you...
Parrot: Give us a kiss, give us a kiss.
The Prime Minister: Well, really, Mr. Bond.
Tanner: I think we're having a little trouble with the line, madam.
Frederick Gray: [to Q] You idiot. Get on to him.
Q: 007. 007.
Frederick Gray: Bond! Have you gone mad? What's going on? Bond. Bond! BOND!
Old 26th June 2020, 12:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Octopussy. 1983.

When agent 009 turns up dead in Berlin holding onto a Faberge Egg, Bond travels to India as to why a exiled prince Kamal Khan insisted on buying the egg at auction and is drawn into a jewel heist, bombing of a air base and a circus owned by a Octopussy Cult.

Two years released after For Your Eyes Only, you can see Roger Moore has aged but it didn't stop him playing the role again and the release of Never Say Never Again with Sir Sean Connery (both films making a lot of money) this one was far better film. Louis Jordan plays the exiled prince Kamal who has teamed up with Russian General Orlov played by Steven Berkoff who thinks he will be a hero. Maud Adams plays the mysterious Octopussy lady who smuggles diamonds using a circus as cover and trains females as her guards.

This one does have a lot of humour, where would you see a tennis racket being used a weapon and street watchers looking left and right, who better to do it than Vijay Amritraj who helps provide some of the laughs and Bollywood actor Kabir Bedi plays the henchman Gobinda menacingly well with his eyes that he is able to hold his blinking and Kristina Wayborn...well i'm sure none of us would say no to her.

The sets were done decently as well as the cinematography, and a good fight scene towards the end when Q helps out with a hot air balloon, Robert Browne makes his first appearance as M who seems to be as serious as Bernard Lee was, gotta love the song All Time High by Rita Coolidge.

1_38sJfvtsSWAlJH7hnbHVVw.jpg

[Confronting James Bond]
Kamal Khan: You have a nasty habit of surviving.
James Bond: You know what they say about the fittest.

Like this? Share it using the links below!