Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2020, 08:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A young archaeologist Daniel Jackson ( James Spader) is approached by a elderly woman to translate some hieroglyphics when he does he is showing a device called a Stargate which he gets working and sets off with a group of soldiers , led by Jack O'Neill(Kurt Russel ) to see what's on the other side.

A enjoyable fast pace piece of sci-fi which lead to a tv series and various spin offs. 8/10

Now watching the return of the exorcist ( the possessor ) don't know if I'll finish it makes beyond the door look the the exorcist
Old 17th August 2020, 09:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cobra. 1986.

A tough cop is assigned to protect a witness to a murder orchestrated by a cult.

The days of the Cannon 80s action films that is still enjoyable (IMO), Sly Stallone plays the no nonsense tough cop that takes the jobs that everyone seems to back away from with some wisecrack one liners. Brigitte Nielsen plays the fashion model that becomes a target by a gang lead by Brian Thompson who believes he is doing the world a good deed. Stallone teams up again with director George Cosmatos from Rambo II and able to pull off a decent action flick that does have the element of horror mixed in.

MV5BMTgxMDIzODk1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjcwODg4._V1_.jpg
Old 17th August 2020, 09:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

A young archaeologist Daniel Jackson ( James Spader) is approached by a elderly woman to translate some hieroglyphics when he does he is showing a device called a Stargate which he gets working and sets off with a group of soldiers , led by Jack O'Neill(Kurt Russel ) to see what's on the other side.

A enjoyable fast pace piece of sci-fi which lead to a tv series and various spin offs. 8/10

Now watching the return of the exorcist ( the possessor ) don't know if I'll finish it makes beyond the door look the the exorcist
Been years since I’ve seen stargate, Went cinema With 2 friends to watch It, never seen any the spin offs are they any good ?
then went back into watch interview with the vampire I hated It so went asleep.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 17th August 2020, 09:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Been years since I’ve seen stargate, Went cinema With 2 friends to watch It, never seen any the spin offs are they any good ?
then went back into watch interview with the vampire I hated It so went asleep.
Enjoyed both Stargate Sg1 and Atlantis, though Stargate like a lot of shows should of ended a couple of seasons early.

It takes a while to get used to Richard Dean Anderson in Kurt Russell roles as they are like night and day and at at times you think now the hell did Anderson's version get in the military!
Old 17th August 2020, 10:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Latest 5

Robot Overlords

Alien Robots invade Britain and impose curfews on UK residents in order to study them until a group of teens figure a way to fight them. Gillian Anderson and Ben Kingsley star in this not to bad film. Certainly one of the better straight to DVD films out there, might have gotten away with a small Theatrical release.

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Whoopi Goldberg is a Banking Assistant who helps a British Spy from her computer. A memorable title from CBS Fox Video during the 80's, whilst entertaining, I'm sure it would have been better in the day, also certain that it would have been a popular rental during the heyday of the Video Shop.

Bugsy Malone

Entertaining Mobster movie that has children in it's roles, each actor played their roles well as well as having a witty script with some great sarcastic one liners.

Jungle 2 Jungle

Really fun and entertaining Tim Allen film in which he is a Stockbroker who finds out he has a 13 year old boy who was raised in The Amazon. He takes him back to New York where the fish out of water concept is done to glorious effect. Martin Short Co-Stars

Freaky Friday

Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsey Lohan are the bickering Mother and Daughter who swap bodies and learn to understand what each other goes through. Mark Harmon also stars in this thoroughly entertaining and fun movie in which Disney demonstrate that they do brilliant live action films. I remember finishing my shift on Boxing Day early one year and went to see this around 20:00 and having the screen to myself lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ro.jpg (15.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg jff.jpg (14.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg bm.jpg (14.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg j2j.jpg (11.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ff.jpg (10.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 17th August 2020, 11:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cthulhu Mansion. 1992.

A ageing magician and his daughter are taken hostage in their house by a gang looking for a hideout, when the magician warns them to leave and they refuse, slowly the house decides to fight when the magician dabbles in black magic.

Released in other countries as Black Magic Mansion, I ain't got a clue if it was the film makers or the studio decided to keep it with the Lovecraft creation that seems to be borrowed for sales purposes and have seen this before and thought a decent re-watch was in order with some peace and quiet. Frank Finlay plays the magician Chandu who is keeping a secret from his daughter and captors till it's too late. I really wanted to enjoy this, ok the acting ain't brilliant and it is a early 90s cheese fest film but the ending was what made a little disappointing and guaranteed rooting for the teens to die.

MV5BNmNhOGFmYzMtZTllNS00YzZmLTk1YjctZDA2Yzk5M2MwMTY2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 18th August 2020, 11:43 AM
Cult Acolyte

wwz-quad-with-release-date-1-copy-616x465.jpg
WORLD WAR Z (2013)

Frantic story of a virus outbreak that is spreading quickly around the World.
Great scenes of panic in the streets and the movie's highlight of a 'zombie' siege in Jerusalem look excellent. The movie really only slows for it's final reel as the World Heath Organisation test an idea for a possible injection that will camouflage people against the zombies. The original ending was to have a huge D-Day like battle in Russia but it was thought it would surpass the Israel scenes that came before and wanted to get away from a typical Hollywood ending.
A proposed sequel came to nothing.
Old 18th August 2020, 06:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Devils Advocate. 1997.

A young Florida lawyer is offered a new job by a high rise firm in New York, as he is enjoying his new position his wife begins to loose her sanity and he begins to question his new boss.

This is my second time seeing this film (Last saw it in 1999) and to be honest this was better than the first time seeing it and actually appreciating what a decent film can be. Al Pacino plays the hot shot lawyer John Milton who offers everything to young lawyer Kevin Lomax (Keanu Reeves) only for him to doubt his mentor with his wife Charlize Theron Sanity.

The film does dive in quickly from the start in Florida then straight to the big apple then to meeting the devil and seeing his promises, with this film the devil is seen as a masquerading, intelligent person who seems to like taunting god in a church. Al Pacino is on form in this and shows his good acting skills in the last 20+ minutes of the film. Jefferey Jones, Craig T. Nelson and Connie Nielsen provide some great acting. The violence and gore s=do seem to come in quick in films but in this it is in gaps and can be unexpected.

uprkH1mXqPZQXyl19VShgw9YMTf.jpg
Old 19th August 2020, 10:08 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

London Boulevard (2010)

Despite the director's claims in the extras that London Boulevard is based on a novel by Ken Bruen from 2001, that novel was quite clearly ripped off from Carlito's Way in almost every aspect in it's story of a newly released criminal who vows to go straight until his past catches up with him even down to the sucker punch of a final scene which would be practically plagiarism had the perpetrator said "Hey remember me, Benny Blanco from the Bronx?"

However this shouldn't prove much of a distraction as London Boulevard is a good film. It's coolly directed and the cast including Colin Farrell, Keira Knightly, Ray Winstone, David Thewlis and Ben Chaplin, are all decent. There's a streak of brutal violence at the centre of the movie and the inhospitable vibe throughout with it's meditations on crime and fame envelops proceedings in a hazy atmosphere of contemporary noir.

Awesome soundtrack too if you like The Yardbirds and Kasabian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg London_Boulevard_Poster.jpg (18.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 19th August 2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 19th August 2020, 05:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Two Evil Eyes. 1990.

Two inspired tales by Edgar Allen Poe and adapted into the modern day era.

The facts in the case of Mr. Valdemar: A woman plots to kill her rich husband while her lover has hypnotised him into it but her husband is trapped in limbo with disastrous results.

The Black Cat: A journalist investigating a gruesome murder arrives home and his girlfriend has taken in a stray cat which he begins to hate.

George Romero teams up with Dario Argento and brings these two classic tales to the screen, both stories are set on present time with Adrienne Barbeau as the spoilt wife of a termally ill husband and wants his money. E.G. Marshall plays the solicitor who seems to have his doubts whether the paperwork is genuine until we see how it is done.

Harvey Kietel plays the journalist investigating a death that was inspired by another Poe tale and seems to hate the new cat which drives him to the brink of loosing his sanity and gives out a shriek when a wall is opened up.

Both segments were directed very well with some nice twists and turns added in even though The Black Cat has always been a favourite story of mine, the first story seems to been made for t.v. but still thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish with some good make-up effects by Tom Savini.

Two-Evil-Eyes.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!