Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179635Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2022, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gene Wilder who co stars with his wife ( who plays on screen wife)plays a radio actor who visit his ancestral home , not longer after they arrive and the rest of his family turns up strange things start happening and a family curse says one of them is a werewolf . Really not very funny or interesting , only good scenes are the ones with a cross dressing Dom Deluise.

This was a thousand times better succeeding in everything haunted honeymoon failed. Peter O'Toole plays the owner of a castle in Scotland whom in debt comes up with the idea that the castle is haunted , a group of tourist arrive and aren't impressed with the so called ghosts but this all changes when the real ghosts turn up at the centre of the story is a love story involving Steve Guttenburg who falls in love with a ghost played by Daryl Hannah look out for Liam Neeson in early role as a horny ghost.

Also watched the first three puppet master films , they all make out the puppet master to be complety different each movie first he is just old man whom is killed by Nazis second his a psychotic evil zombie killing all around to bring his dead wife back and the third which is my favourite his a kindly old man who seeks revenge and Nazis and the one who murdered his family watch out for a young Aron Eisenberg who played Nog in deep space nine we also we have Richard Lynch who plays a Gestapo office and becomes the puppet blade, which makes you think was the puppet originally based on him as even in the first you can see the similarities.

Now watching this

People did say it was gory and depraved but **** me this is on a whole different level than most video nasties , we have people being ripped apart and eaten , buggery with dead people and sex with body parts Mary Whitehouse will be spinning in her grave but naturally I'm loving it!
E
Old 1st June 2022, 08:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Patrick Still Lives. 1980.

A group of people meet at a spa run by a mad doctor who is keeping his son in a coma after a accident, soon the guests start dropping off.

A film I have heard a a lot about but never thought i'd see it, parts of the house seemed familiar till I realised it was the same place used in Burial Ground, what is it with this place? Does it have something supernatural thing that causes people to strip off and...have a good time? The acting may not be the best but certainly makes up with the nudity and the kills were decent.

6a017d4117b2c6970c01b8d0983975970c-600wi.jpg
Old 1st June 2022, 10:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Eaten Alive. 1980.

A woman teams up with a mercenary and travels to New Guinea to find her sister who has joined a religious cult that is surrounded by a tribe of cannibals.

This is not Lenzi's greatest achievement movie and uses footage from other cannibal films but still entertains and Jim jones and his Jonestown dream may have been the inspiration for Ivan Rassimov as the religious fanatic. Janet Argen plays Sheila who hires Robert Kerman to find her sister Paola Senatore who has joined the cult. Is it just me or was Mel Ferrer's voice dubbed one moment then his actual voice is heard? At least there is a upside of Me Me Lai appearing on screen half naked.

e95e34a1ac30a16bd86d3da77aba3f00.jpg

Last edited by MrBarlow; 2nd June 2022 at 04:37 PM.
Old 1st June 2022, 10:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Patrick Still Lives. 1980.

A group of people meet at a spa run by a mad doctor who is keeping his son in a coma after a accident, soon the guests start dropping off.

A film I have heard a a lot about but never thought i'd see it, parts of the house seemed familiar till I realised it was the same place used in Burial Ground, what is it with this place? Does it have something supernatural thing that causes people to strip off and...have a good time? The acting may not be the best but certainly makes up with the nudity and the kills were decent.
Saw this first time at Christmas via the Severin dvd (Blu-ray's are available) and loved it.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 1st June 2022, 11:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Face of Fu Manchu (1965)

I spent four hours in the company of this film last night. I watched the film followed by Christopher Frayling's fifty minute discussion of Fu Manchu in literature and film and then watched the film again in the company of Stephen Jones and Kim Newman.

Very enjoyable with a standout performance from Nigel Green as Fu Manchu's nemesis the venerable Scotland Yard detective Nayland Smith, meanwhile Christopher Lee plays the eponymous villain with a certain amount of relish.

Don Sharp's direction is very good, certainly far superior to Jess Franco's in the final two films of the five movie series, whilst Ireland kind of bizarrely stands in well for London and er' Tibet.

A fun romp in a Holmes vs Moriarty fashion and quite sadistic for a PG certificate.

The Indicator Blu-ray looked rather tasty.
Old 2nd June 2022, 02:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Grifters (1990)

An enjoyable neo-noir about three con artists - John Cusack, Angelica Huston and Annette Bening - whose lives are drawn together due to Cusack's hospitalisation following a grift gone wrong.

It's an entertaining film with several scenes of proper brutality as well as full frontal nudity from Bening, however the overall feel is of a bleak movie, none of the characters are sympathetic and it's all pretty grimy.

I finally got round to watching the 101 Films Black Label limited edition Blu-ray and i wasn't impressed. The picture quality is average at best, soft to look at without any depth. I'd say this is one of the worst examples of HD i've come across. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if it were simply a dvd upscale.

Had i not sold my dvd when i originally bought this several years ago i'd have got rid of this Blu-ray.
Old 2nd June 2022, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Monster Squad. 1987.

A group of teens battle it out with Dracula, The Mummy, The Werewolf and Gillman but find a friend in Frankenstein's monster.

Fred Dekker gave us Night Of The Creeps in 1986 and a year later he gave us his homage to the Universal Monster movie characters, this time it's teenagers who are monster fanatics and try to save their little town.

Duncan Regehr's performance as Dracula is brilliant and able to capture the character's menacing persona. Tom Noonan plays Frankenstein like the original Korloff and able to walk like someone trying on new boots for the first time. Jon Gries plays The Wolfman and does return to a somewhat same character in Fright Night Part II a year later.

Andre Gower, Robby Kiger, Brent Chalem, Ryan Lambert, Ashley Bank and Michael Faustino play the young group of The Monster Squad and able to bring some laughs as they seem tough and wimpish at the same time along with scary German Guy Leonardo Cimino who tries to help with their German vocabulary. I always though this film was longer than just 80 minutes, still a great film.

e7dea051ad88ff4b2f5d7cee771eed72d59dabce0ba34fb1b9e6d409973bcc69._UY500_UX667_RI_V_TTW_.jpg
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Burning (1981)

A derivative rip off of Friday the 13th (1980) with even less interesting characters and bog standard direction than the majority of that series of films. In all honesty, Tom Savini's brilliant gore effects work aside, The Burning is pretty shit.

Bizarre thing is i knew this already so why did i buy it on Blu-ray last week?
Definitely preferred this to that borefest, Friday The 13th
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I really don't get this film. Its like it goes out of the way to actually keep Godzilla off screen. I was really surprised when Gareth Edwards next movie Rogue One (which I had low expectations for) turned out to be the best of the modern Star Wars films by a mile.
Yes, I was well miffed when I saw this at the Cinema especially after the Trailer made it look so good.

You can say what you want about the 1998 version but it least it delivered Godzilla early.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Northman (2022, Robert Eggers)

I waited and he eventually turned up.
Film of the year.
PM me if you want more.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!