Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2010, 08:22 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just watched Neil Marshall's Centurian, very well made and much less of a mess that Doomsday. The cool thing about the story was that it could have easily been made in a WW2 action film or even a Modern Military film....it was good though
Old 11th August 2010, 10:09 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I have just finished watching Colin. A low budget british zombie film that was supposedly shot for £45. Its really great, there are so many intense brutal moments and the story is well thought out. Its a bit like everything you want to see in a zombie film distilled into 90 minutes of crazyness and the idea of following a zombie the whole time is inspired!

If you've not seen it yet it is really really worth a watch.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:32 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

"Hell On Wheels": stock car racing, moonshine and country music. Sounds great but this is a yawnfest with lots and lots of crap country musical acts performing throughout the film.

"The Wild Rebels" more stock car racing but no country music this time. Instead we get the smallest gang of Bikers ever, totalling 4 if you include the gangs' mama. The final shoot out with the police is okayish if you're in a forgiving mood.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:32 PM
Active Cultist

'True Crime' - decent thriller from Clint Eastwood.

Just got backed from my local indie cinema, watched 'Four Lions'. Not as extreme as Chris Morris' other stuff, but still very funny and even touching in some parts.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:01 AM

After Colin I decided to watch Dragon Tiger Gate.

It's not a terrible film but it did have a lot of parts that annoyed me. The plot was a bit all over the place, there was some truely horrid cgi and it could have done with an extra fight scene in the middle when it got a bit slow.

The fights themselves were well choeographed by Donnie Yen (if a little too depedant on wire work and acrobatics), but the cinematographer seen more intent on showing off fancy camera movents rather than choosing shots that worked with and showecased the martial arts to it full extent.

I'm glad I only paid a fiver for the dvd and didnt shell out 12 quid for the blu-ray.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
"Hell On Wheels": stock car racing, moonshine and country music. Sounds great but this is a yawnfest with lots and lots of crap country musical acts performing throughout the film.

"The Wild Rebels" more stock car racing but no country music this time. Instead we get the smallest gang of Bikers ever, totalling 4 if you include the gangs' mama. The final shoot out with the police is okayish if you're in a forgiving mood.
Doesn't sound like you had the greatest evening of entertainment there MTDS.
Old 12th August 2010, 08:28 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Last night I watched Jackie Chan & The Kung Fu Kid and Red Road.
I really liked the Jackie Chan one, I mean of course I would even if it was crap but it was genuinely a good film. It's about a boy who idolises Jackie Chan and so goes on a little trip to Beijing to try and find him to become his disciple. It had some comedy elements, some good fighting and it was quite touching at one point (I think it was due to seeing myself in the kid). 3 out of 5
Red Road was a great film. About a lady CCTV operator who sees someone on one of her cameras that she may know so she kind of follows him I can't say much about the story to be honest because it'll ruin it for you but it's a good British film. It's quite tense and really portrays Glasgow in all it's miserably gloomy self. Unsettling but ultimately rather touching too. 4 out of 5

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html

Last edited by antmumford; 12th August 2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12th August 2010, 09:27 AM
Cultist

Default What films have you seen recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford
It's quite tense and really portrays England in all it's miserably gloomy self. Unsettling but ultimately rather touching too. 4 out of 5
That'll be Glasgow it's portraying! The Red Road flats are very iconic, and due to be demolished in the near future. Yeah, it's very dark but a good little film. It's meant to be part of a trilogy, I worked on the next film (called "Rounding Up Donkeys") but it's never seen the light of day unfortunately.

Trampy And The Tramp win Curry Lover(s) of the Year award at the Scottish Curry Awards 2010

www.trampyandthetramp.blogspot.com
Old 12th August 2010, 10:03 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've recently finished watching Yakuza Papers: Battles without Honour & Humanity which are five stunning gangster movies with really visceral and realistic violence, an extremely complicated structure (fortunately the set comes with a 'family tree' to help you follow who is who) and it's up there with the best gangster movies I've ever seen.
Old 12th August 2010, 11:21 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggenhagen View Post
That'll be Glasgow it's portraying! The Red Road flats are very iconic, and due to be demolished in the near future. Yeah, it's very dark but a good little film. It's meant to be part of a trilogy, I worked on the next film (called "Rounding Up Donkeys") but it's never seen the light of day unfortunately.
Of course it was. Edited now

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html

Like this? Share it using the links below!