Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2021, 08:55 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

MV5BMjk4NjUxNDUtODZjMi00ZmZmLWIxMGUtMGViYzdlMDZjNjI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc3MTg0MzY@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg

Two teachers survive a school shooting but their lives will be changed forever. Not only are they mentally fragile by losing so many of their friends and co workers and their guilt that they survived but now they are getting chased by the undead.

When i watch these modern low budget films i do my best to over look the flaws and consider the limits they are working under but sometimes i just cant when a film is so bad it just feels like their is minimal effort put it and it making a film for the sake of making a film no one is even arsed to try and act they are just reading lines in a monotone almost robotic manner i cant stand it. There is bad acting and then there is this s**t. Not much really happens and even when it starts to pick up the gaos between things happening are massive. The best thing about the whole film is the soundtrack but maybe thats because it sounds like a lot of John Carpenters music changed enough to get away with it . Horrendous and a waste of a cool looking poster.

AVOID.
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Chopping Mall. 1986.

When a shopping mall introduces high tech security robots, the young employees decide to stay behind and the robots malfunction and go on a killing spree.

The Iconic 80s movies were the best and some were daft, from Roger Corman comes this Science-fiction horror that strangely enough still entertains, cheesy dialogue, the same shopping mall that Arnie had a fight in Commando, a woman able to think better than what some guys do, Barbara Crampton going topless and small cameo roles for Dick Miller and Angus Scrim. This isn't to be taken seriously as it sounds stupid but Jim Wynorski managed to pull it off.

Choppingmall.jpg
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Twisted Pair (2018, Neil Breen)

Here we go again. Somewhat more punchy than IAHN to boot.
NB plays twins who are gifted with "enhancements" by stellar observers.
When one is stripped of his "powers", what develops is the strangest battle for good or evil I've ever seen
Filmed in and around his office (I surmise), this was just as entertaining as his others ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th August 2021, 12:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Bloodmoon (1990)

Australian slasher movie set around an elite Catholic girls school where couples go missing in the nearby woods.

A (very) late entry to the eighties slasher genre. This Ozploitation effort seems to be ticking all the boxes that make so many slashers formulaic. Sex, attractive victims, often dumb motives for doing things, as well as borrowing themes from the likes of Prom Night.

However for a slasher film there's some unusually good character development. Not only with the potential victims and local law enforcement. With the killer unmasked around the half way point we get to see a little of his reasoning and his submissive home behaviour due to his cruel dominating wife.

The killer's method of murder - a barbed wire noose with which he strangles his victims, is original, again making the movie memorable, however the direction falls a little flat and not much suspense is generated either during or in the build up to the murders, yet it doesn't really matter as the film has more to it than just murder set pieces.

I've seen Bloodmoon three times now and it remains an interesting proposition and despite it's Aussie origins feels to have definite giallo leanings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MV5BMTY4ODIwNDUwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDQzNTQ5._V1_.jpg (18.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 4th August 2021, 07:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Casablanca. 1942.

Early stages of World War II, cafe owner Rick Blaine helps refugees to obtain letters to help them escape, he struggles when a ex lover and her husband come to seek help.

This is the first time seeing this and what a great piece of cinematic history it was, I feel bad about not seeing this till now, the plot, the acting and the cinematography is amazingly done. Humphrey Bogart has always been a amazing and outstanding actor and generally shows it with this picture. Ingrid Bergman plays the heroine in this and seems to be torn about her decisions on what to do. From start to finish the film is captivating, comedy and somewhat near tear jerking.

p651_p_v13_az.jpg
Old 4th August 2021, 07:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Casablanca. 1942.

Early stages of World War II, cafe owner Rick Blaine helps refugees to obtain letters to help them escape, he struggles when a ex lover and her husband come to seek help.

This is the first time seeing this and what a great piece of cinematic history it was, I feel bad about not seeing this till now, the plot, the acting and the cinematography is amazingly done. Humphrey Bogart has always been a amazing and outstanding actor and generally shows it with this picture. Ingrid Bergman plays the heroine in this and seems to be torn about her decisions on what to do. From start to finish the film is captivating, comedy and somewhat near tear jerking.
I watched this eight days straight last November and the rendition of La Marseillaise drowning out the Germans got me every time.

Glad you too loved it Mr.B.
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 4th August 2021, 08:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I watched this eight days straight last November and the rendition of La Marseillaise drowning out the Germans got me every time.

Glad you too loved it Mr.B.
You can tell the Germans weren't really happy about not having their voices heard.
Old 4th August 2021, 09:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Marine Issue (1986, Denis Amer)

Michael Pare actioner. Always remembered the poster for this one (again) so was nice to finally get to see this one. When Pare finds out his sister has fallen in with bad types, his reaction is interesting mainly due to the locale (film is set in Spain). The bad guys don't reckon on his chances, but these colours don't run ahem.

F9

The Fast & The Spurious. Physics be damned!

Yor (w/Reb Brown comm)

Self effacing and informative, this trip down memory lane was worth the wait.
Regarding Marine Issue, there are quite a few Warner Bros. Films from the 80's that have seen the light of day. I can think off:

Marine Issue
American Flyers
Heat (Burt Reynolds)
Moving
Tough Guys Don't Dance
Street Smart.

I'm sure there are more.
Old 4th August 2021, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Jungle Cruise

Emily Blunt hires Dwayne Johnson to take her down an Amazon River in order to find a flower which can be a miracle cure. At first, I thought they were ripping off the idea for Anaconda: Hunt For The Blood Orchid (Minus the Anaconda) and that they were going to recreate a scene from Zombie Flesh Eaters lol. It's not bad but it's too long and I didn't like the supernatural element.

Last Boy Scout

Bruce Willis teams up with Damon Wayans in order to find out who killed Halle Berrie. I remember having this Film rented when it first came out and TBH, I was quite disappointed by it because I was expecting a Action fest considering it was an early 90's Warner Bros. Movie starring Bruce Willis and the Video cover made it look like an Action packed Movie. Granted I was probably too young at the time to fully enjoy it therefore after re-watching it again, I enjoyed it more but I felt that the plot regarding Sports Betting to be a bit weak.

Stan & Ollie

Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly star as Laurel & Hardy as they go on a farewell tour. I never seen a Laurel & Hardy Movie (Nor do I intend too. Not really my thing) but I rather enjoyed this well acted Movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jc.jpg (12.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg lbs.jpg (14.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg sao.jpg (9.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 4th August 2021, 09:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I was looking forward to seeing Jungle Cruise but now i think i'll get The African Queen on Blu-ray instead.

Like this? Share it using the links below!