Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2022, 08:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Digby: The Biggest Dog In The World. 1973.

Jeff, a military scientist working on a growth serum project accidentally feeds some to a dog which grows.

I remember watching this once when it was on t.v. back in the 80s, I always thought it was a laugh with Jim Dale standing in a door way speaking to a young lad while eating dog food and pulling faces, something we all probably do with dog food. This is one of those rare comedy films from Britain with plenty of gags and Spike Milligan who adds some good laughter to the screen.

B00ARZ1NVI.jpg
Old 20th January 2022, 08:34 PM
Cultist

"Pigs, pigs pigs, pigs..."

Edit ; in reply to Justin101
Justin101 likes this.
Old 20th January 2022, 10:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scream And Scream Again. 1970.

Here's a little British yarn with Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing listed yet they all seem to have minor roles, and only Christopher Lee and Vincent Price share some screen time together but not for very long.

A vampire creature is killing females and taking their blood which police are baffled and leads them to a eccentric doctor who is doing research of some kind.

This did seem to enthusiastic my appeal to watch this with the top three stars, Peter Sallis and Michael Gothard but it's just left me scratching my nogging as it seemed to be full of missing or confusing plot holes, but there is a good car chase in it, but for me this was a let down but then again a re-watch may happen at some point.

220px-Scream_and_Scream_Again_FilmPoster.jpeg
Old 21st January 2022, 05:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Giant Claw (1957)

What an utter joy The Giant Claw was. Totally cheesy with an awful flying creature that resembled a mangy turkey. But how brilliant was the turkey? I couldn't take my eyes off it. Be it chasing model planes or sitting on top of buildings pecking away at them causing serious devastation, all the time looking like some reject from The Muppet Show. And the looks it gives, comical facial expressions and head movements. Harryhausen this is not.

The film itself? Well it's about an extraterrestrial giant bird that comes to earth and wreaks havoc with only Jeff Morrow, Clint Eastwood fave Mara Corday and the US Air Force in the way of earth's destruction.

The Arrow Blu-ray, part of the Sam Katzman Cold War Creatures collection, looks stunning.

Completely bonkers, and utterly wonderful. I loved it!

Highly recommended.
Old 21st January 2022, 06:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Giant Claw (1957)

What an utter joy The Giant Claw was. Totally cheesy with an awful flying creature that resembled a mangy turkey. But how brilliant was the turkey? I couldn't take my eyes off it. Be it chasing model planes or sitting on top of buildings pecking away at them causing serious devastation, all the time looking like some reject from The Muppet Show. And the looks it gives, comical facial expressions and head movements. Harryhausen this is not.

The film itself? Well it's about an extraterrestrial giant bird that comes to earth and wreaks havoc with only Jeff Morrow, Clint Eastwood fave Mara Corday and the US Air Force in the way of earth's destruction.

The Arrow Blu-ray, part of the Sam Katzman Cold War Creatures collection, looks stunning.

Completely bonkers, and utterly wonderful. I loved it!

Highly recommended.
Oh it brought me pleasure to read this Dem. It's brilliant isn't it. Glorious rubbish. Is it the first of the Katzman films you've watched?
I've got The Creature With the Atom Brain left to watch. So far I've loved them all, with The Werewolf being the standout.
Old 21st January 2022, 06:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Oh it brought me pleasure to read this Dem. It's brilliant isn't it. Glorious rubbish. Is it the first of the Katzman films you've watched?
I've got The Creature With the Atom Brain left to watch. So far I've loved them all, with The Werewolf being the standout.
Yes, the first of the set. Even if i hate the rest this film was worth the purchase price alone.
Demoncrat and J Harker like this.
Old 21st January 2022, 06:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Running Man. 1987.

Full of Arnie's goodness wearing a yellow spandex suit , and some of his cheesy one liners from the novella by Richard Bachman...can't really place who the pseudonym is for and a film that went through different directors, T.V's Starksy ended up with directing most of the film and getting the credit.

Dystopian future where the government controls alot...bit like today and Richard Dawson hosts a game show of modern day gladiators, we all know they will have their asses handed to them except Buzzsaw who had to split with his own chainsaw. Jesse Ventura stars beside although one part of screen time for them together in a computer generated fight. One that is still enjoyable to watch with Yaphet Kotto, Maria Conchita Alonso and NFL star Jim Brown, we can't forget good old Mick Fleetwood.

MV5BNzM4OTcyMjEyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzEwNDI4OA@@._V1_.jpg
Old 21st January 2022, 09:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yes, the first of the set. Even if i hate the rest this film was worth the purchase price alone.
I'd be very surprised if you don't like the others in the set. The Giant Claw is the worst one I've seen and it was brilliant.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 21st January 2022, 09:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Phobia. 1980.

Second Paul Michael Glaser film of the night, except he is starring in this and not directing, here he plays a doctor helping people overcome their fears only for them to die mysteriously from their phobias.

This is not the best film based on what we actually fear, it does have a very slow pace that a tortoise would be proud of, the acting isn't much better and at some point it's a case of switching your brain off for a bit. It does have it's moments of suspense that aren't built up well, even Glaser's performance as a doctor is a bit unorthodox as he forces his patients to face their phobias. This had the potential to be something that can fizzle out by the third act.

7UmGEZ2lmpGiaTmT9fMMijqX04N.jpg
Old 22nd January 2022, 08:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Misandrists (Bruce La Bruce)

A cabal of women hellbent on destroying patriarchal hegemony pretend to be ... a Catholic school in order to remain undetected.
Basically a satire, most of the characters spout diatribes which are a tad rabid in nature
Does feature some real penis removal surgery footage! Just thought I would "spoil" that one ahem. Stock footage! Sighs ....
The location looks like he spotted it on holiday tbh

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!