All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179635Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th September 2010, 11:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbv View Post
Watched REC again last night. Hadn't seen it since it was released originally and enjoyed it more this time. The bit near the end when he looks in the loft still almost gave me a heart attack.
i watched [rec] 2 again tonight.
its awesome

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 1st October 2010, 07:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Man Who Could Cheat Death - This is quite a rare Hammer and quite frankly a bit of a disappointment. Very few thrills and even less gore. Like most Hammer productions the eye for deail is there, but the story does not grip and this really could have done with a more charismatic lead than Anton Diffring in the lead role. Even Christopher Lee's performnce seems very subdued.

Hands Of The Ripper - My Hammer marathon continues with one of the better stand alone films of the seventies. Jack The Ripper's daughter grows up with a few little quirks of her own. A simple kiss to the cheek and bloody murder follows. The film is well acted by most of the cast and looks great. The blood flows pretty freely too, which is always a plus.

Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn - The comedy is turned up to the max in Sam Raimi's sequel which is basically a remake of the first film with a much bigger budget with a few extra ideas thrown in for good measure. There are still some pretty horrific moments, but this is really the start of the cult of Bruce Campbell. His performance is brilliant and he gets to pretty much carry the film alone for the first half. The tooling up sequence is one of my favouite screen moments of all time. Groovy.

Pieces - Pretty awful early eighties slasher with some piss poor effects and gallons of gore. A chainsaw wielding serial killer obsessed with puzzles tries to build his own perfect woman from pieces taken from his victims. It raises a few unintentional chuckles for all its efforts. There is even an attempt to make this a credible whodunnit. The ending is one of those genuine WTF moments.

Army Of Darkness- The Evil Dead III - If ever there was a film that I have warmed to with viewings, this is one. The strangest of the Evil Dead films and really not a horror film at all, this one takes a turn into fantasy and slapstick, something I wasn't expecting back in the day. It really is a showcase for Bruce Campbell (Even more than the first half of Evil Dead II.) who gets large chunks of this film playing against himself. My first impression of this years ago was meh! Now.... well it may not be in the same league as the first two films but it is certainly a lot of fun with some great one liners.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 1st October 2010, 08:33 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Edmond is a fantastic film, well worth a watch indeed. I'll have to check out Castle Freak now for sure.

Just finished watching Storm Warning, it was okay. Stereotype characters and unlikeable lead man but it had some great gory kills and the best anti rape device I've ever seen
I will keep STORM WARNING in mind for the future, to watch. The horror channels on SKY show CASTLE FREAK quite regular, and you could also pick it up from Amazon for around a fiver these day's too. Yeah, so, if you enjoyed some of S.G's other films, then you would probably will enjoy this one too. Yeah, EDMOND is really good, there are quite a few movies out there that are similar to it, but I just like this type of film all the same. Slightly overlooked, and underrated to be honest. No doubt it has a cult folioing though. Cheers for the reply...
Old 1st October 2010, 08:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Devils Kiss - Typically cheap and cheerful Eurocine production, for hardcore euro cult fanatics only.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 1st October 2010, 09:24 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I thought Orphan was done very well and, unusually for me, I didn't see the ending coming so was pleasantly surprised by the whole film.
Yes, the ending could have really failed - but they pulled it off really well. Good stuff.
Old 1st October 2010, 09:26 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive View Post

Pieces - Pretty awful early eighties slasher with some piss poor effects and gallons of gore. A chainsaw wielding serial killer obsessed with puzzles tries to build his own perfect woman from pieces taken from his victims. It raises a few unintentional chuckles for all its efforts. There is even an attempt to make this a credible whodunnit. The ending is one of those genuine WTF moments.
Oh, I can't agree. Pieces is a masterpieces. It's exceptional on about 50 million different levels.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:24 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I watched Bird with the crystal plumage last night. I must admit I quite enjoyed it. The acting was good and I didn't realise who the killer was until about 15 mins or so from the end. My first Argento film folks
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:52 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched The Beyond Last night, great film from Fulci.
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by re.form View Post
Oh, I can't agree. Pieces is a masterpieces. It's exceptional on about 50 million different levels.
I agree, I liked Pieces.
Sure it had flaws but they can be forgiven as it was entertaining and fun.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 3rd October 2010, 01:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I watched Bird with the crystal plumage last night. I must admit I quite enjoyed it. The acting was good and I didn't realise who the killer was until about 15 mins or so from the end. My first Argento film folks
Your 1st Argento film , well your deffo in for a treat when you start watching some of his other stuff, Miles better than Fulci in my opinion

Like this? Share it using the links below!