Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th August 2012, 04:03 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

BLACK PAST. This starts out as a mullet haired story of teen love before descending into utter madness and carnage. Olaf Ittenbach directs and stars in this, as school boy Thommy who spends his days arguing with his sisters and mooning over a girl in his class at school. He finally gets the girl of his dreams only to have her become possessed by an evil mirror on their second date and kill herself. After much moping about in his underpants all manner of chaos erupts in both his dreams and real life...

I really enjoyed this much in the same way I enjoy the pictures my kids draw which look nothing like the subject matter. Ittenbach is spot on with the gore and splatter but the scenes of Thommy's day to day life have a naive charm to them, that linger in the mind long after all the cock chopping and lady garden hacking mayhem has finished.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 28th August 2012, 05:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Bloody Mama (1970)

Falling Down (1993) <- My 87 (I can't remember his exact age, he's too old) year old Grandad watched this recently but had forgotten the name, he was trying to recall this comedy with Michael Douglas in it, from what he said I knew it was this but I couldn't convince him that it wasn't exactly a comedy. Great film though.

Death Wish (1974)

Return of the Living Dead Part II (1988)

Play For Today: Nuts in May (1976)

We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011)
Old 28th August 2012, 05:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Every now and then if I tape a random film of horror channel I haven't heard of I google it, watched a film called tracked starring tony Todd I've looked this up on his filmography Wikipedia and imdb and cannot find any mention of this film anywhere maybe he wanted his name taken of this because it was pretty bad amateurish acting and made,
Old 28th August 2012, 06:12 PM
Cult Addict

ADAM CHAPLIN.

I enjoyed this, even though it is just a series of images and set pieces looking for a plot. Wildly over the top and inventive in it's gore and splatter. Worth a look if you see it cheap.
Old 28th August 2012, 07:09 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
ADAM CHAPLIN.

I enjoyed this, even though it is just a series of images and set pieces looking for a plot. Wildly over the top and inventive in it's gore and splatter. Worth a look if you see it cheap.
I ordered a copy online and when it arrived it was in Italian but dubbed over in Russian by one guy doing every ones voice including all the women. You could also hear the Italian clear as day with Russian breaking in half way through a sentence. Chopping Mall was the exact same with the same voice dubbing it. It was sort of funny but i really wanted Chopping Mall. Needless to say i sent them back.
Old 28th August 2012, 09:20 PM
Active Cultist

Hansel & Gretel -- on Film4 recently. Brilliant, wonderful looking dark fantasy from Korea which I thought was as impressive as Pans Labyrinth. It looks stunning. Will be going on the to-buy list.

Also had a rewatch of Bird with the Crystal Plumage.
Old 29th August 2012, 01:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

VOICE OVER - Indie Britflick from the early eighties has unnerving subject matter and a grim atmosphere. Bizarre broadcaster Fats pedals anachronistic regency-period melodrama to jeering audiences. After a brilliant scene where he's humiliated by two punks he finds an injured, mute woman (one of the aforementioned punks, or at least the same actress) in an alley and appoints himself her guardian / keeper / oppressor etc. We follow their bleak non-relationship until he stabs her to death with scissors! The film swims in a fog of desolation... images of lonely streets at night, abandoned warehouses, down at heel nightlife feature heavily and project that dour vibe I always associate with media from turn of the decade Thatcher's Britain. There are some excellent sequences - Fats' overdriven tape blowout coda for one.
THE DAY AFTER HALLOWEEN - Otherwise known as 'Snapshot'. An odd little film which I found quite difficult to place - it plays like a weird hybrid of arty angularity, clunky B-movie and soap operatic almost-TV movie, and certainly won't please those wanting to find out what actually did happen 'the day after Halloween'. Mousy ex-hairdresser turns model and is harrassed by her vaguely menacing ice-cream man ex. Nothing much happens until the sleaze-lite climax, but I kept going with it, mainly for the appearances of disgruntled ex's 'Mr Whippy' van, which has a tendency to stalk accompanied by really florid 70s soundtrack music. I ended up quite liking it, but felt it needed to play on its eccentricity more. A few stabbings and some sexualised violence would have also helped.
HANNA - I enjoyed this tale of a genetically engineered teenage assassin, particularly because it avoided an obvious action-oriented approach and went more for an identity-quest type thing peppered with lightly surreal touches in places. Good performances from the likes of Blanchett etc, and Hanna herself was fairly endearing for a nascent psychopath. Maybe there was something a little slight about it, and I really wanted the irritating British family to be murdered in slow motion, but overall I thought it was good.
PANDORUM - Sci-fi horror set on a Noah's ark type spaceship. There are mutant cannibals and many scenes of people running up and down corridors trying to work out what's going on. I was reminded of my experience with 'Eden Log', a far superior headf*ck which had a lot more stylish weirdness going for it, but which too had a biblical spaceship thing happening. Well, I kind of liked it but I found myself drifting in a confused sort of way at points, perhaps because I was drunk and bored of watching films by the time I got round to it.
Old 29th August 2012, 11:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Zombie Flesh Eaters. the exodus after the "splinter in eye" sequence was priceless and just added to my enjoyment, FF was a real gentleman etc, overall Il be back-ck-ck. Ahem.

Who Can Kill A Child? I certainly could. Cough cough. Bleaker than Island Of Death! (well, I think it's bleak anyhow), not as much in b&w than These Are The Damned! Louder than St Trinians (??? -Ed)! I loved this nasty little film with a vengeance. Recommended!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th August 2012, 12:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Zombie Flesh Eaters. the exodus after the "splinter in eye" sequence was priceless and just added to my enjoyment, FF was a real gentleman etc, overall Il be back-ck-ck. Ahem.
I was really surprised when about 10 people got up and left after that scene (they returned after a couple of minutes) as I thought everyone had seen it before and knew what to expect. It was a great event and, like you, I'll definitely go back up north for the next event.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 29th August 2012, 06:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

NIGHT TRAIN TO TERROR - Portmanteau bollocks assembled from the rags of three pre-existing movies and wrapped in some awful cranked out shit starring god, the devil and some refugees from MTV / Royal Variety 1984. If my description doesn't make sense, just buy the film and watch it - anything I write will be more coherent than this cinematic sputum, which in my book attains unintentional avant-garde status by being so badly edited it just doesn't make sense at all, and otherwise hits home by featuring an unknown quota of bandanas and legwarmers during the 'musical bits'. As for the 'episodes' themselves, the first features light bondage and organ trafficing in a psych ward, the second is a concentrated version of 'The Deathwish Club' (a weird little film from 1983 which I wholeheartedly recommend in its full version, by the way - has nowhere near the exposure it should enjoy, a genuinely bizarre oddity with a trashy Lynchian vibe, was quite available from Amazon last time I looked which was ages ago, must review it properly here some time but anyway), and the third is another good vs evil (vs Nietzsche?) throwaway thing derived from 'Cataclysm' with C Mitchell bulging his eyes at Nazis, the antichrist and some lovely stop-motion FX before an all-out surgical maelstrom at the climax. I really wish filmmakers (or, more realistically, producers, distributors and studios) thought they could still get away with pulling this kind of shit these days. When audience sophistication was less of a concern and the raging contempt of commerce for art was allowed to play its hand unabashed, weird rubbish like this sometimes followed. Suffice to say, I loved the results - cinematic waste, barely processed.
The version I saw (Laser Paradise) looked like it derived from a good VHS source (or possibly a video master) and was open matte and uncut as far as I could tell. I only say this because I'm aware that this public domain title is out there in various different forms, some of which may be rubbish.

Like this? Share it using the links below!