Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179686Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th December 2022, 04:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

BLOOD DELIRIUM – Strip off, hang around in the kitchen with your boobs out, then have a confusing conversation via answering machine with your ‘future self’ who somehow actually lives in the present – if that’s your idea of a good time, welcome to ‘Blood Delirium’. Though it’s probably best summed up by the scene where a widowed artiste plays bombastic church organ whilst his manservant, an enthusiastic necrophiliac and rapist, has fun with the deceased in the background. Absolute madness. I loved it. The ‘hero’ is just some guy in a helicopter who turns up two minutes from the end. A fair amount of blood, way more delirium.

THE FEAST – I hate dinner parties (I’d rather be curled up in front of ‘Blood Delirium’, or this), so the idea of a roomful of unlikables stuffing themselves then croaking didn’t have to work too hard to sell itself to me. A silent girl turns up to cater an event at a rich couple’s awful house, which looks like it was designed by Micheal Haneke’s sadistic architect brother – cue long takes of frosty-looking ‘spaces’. The people in them aren’t much warmer. This refrigerator approach really works, slowly chilling the viewer’s marrow before an eruption of folkloric comeuppance brings on the dread for a final course that’s definitely worth waiting for. This elliptical Welsh weird tale impressed me greatly and I hereby recommend it to you. Happy New Year.

ORPHAN : FIRST KILL – Tells the tale of how the little monster from the original came to be rampaging around the US looking for gullible families to shit on. I really liked ‘Orphan’ all those years ago (2009, I think) so went in with high hopes, always a mistake in retrospect. Not that OFK is bad, it just needed some of the edge of its parent – the fact that it does throw a bit of a bad taste curveball is in its favour, although something about the whole affair never rises above a baseline of mere competence. As a result, it’s mildly enjoyable but ultimately disposable. Meh New Year, then.
Old 30th December 2022, 06:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 27

The Mad Magician (1954)

An enjoyable Vincent Price vehicle clearly inspired by House of Wax from the previous year.

Price plays an illusionists assistant who kills his employer and takes his place, using a hugely lifelike rubber mask and some dubious dubbing, killing those he dislikes along the way. There are some clever tricks / deaths involving funeral pyre's and buzz saws in what is a wickedly macabre movie with Price at his most dastardly.

Although this isn't in the same league as House of Wax i really enjoyed it as did Price going off the way he played the role with so much relish...and a fair bit of ham too.

Watched via the limited edition Indicator Blu-ray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ntancZLyzZOpahlDEsBruCvOTyd.jpg (100.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 30th December 2022, 08:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 28

Whirlpool (1970)

A terrific thriller from director Jose Larraz in which the gorgeous Tulia
(Vivian Neves) a stunning combination of Ursula Andress and Amanda Holden in looks moves in with with Sara, a photographer and her nephew, Theo, so that Theo can photograph her in her daily life.

What unfolds is basically a kinky nightmarish ménage ?* trois with Tulia forced into ever more uncompromising and abusive scenarios.

I really enjoyed this. It has a thick air of perverse suspense throughout which builds ever more with the viewer feeling slightly uneasy and ever more uncomfortable until the final scenes which are like a gut punch in their finality and repulsiveness. I didn't leave this film feeling good about myself.

For a debut film this is remarkably accomplished from Larraz.
Old 30th December 2022, 08:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Action Point. 2018.

A elderly man D.C. tells his granddaughter the story of how he owned and operated a theme park.

Being a fan of Johnny Knoxville and his gang being idiots I was interested in watching this and heard mixed reviews about it. What we see in the trailer are the funny bits and by the time we see them in the feature film the laughs are gone. Loosely based on the park "Action Park"by Eugene "Gene" Mulvihill and his cutting corners on safety, Knoxville doesnt hold back on the stunts himself and happy to be in the firing line. Aside from being a comedy there is a bit of drama in this and shows how the lead actor can take things seriously. I still wouldn't go out my way to buy it at a high price.

Attachment 244094
I really enjoyed this one, saw it at the Cinema, got it on DVD and during Lockdown one Saturday Night, I had the I don't know what to watch and this was the only Film that took my fancy
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 30th December 2022, 08:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
White Fire (1984)

Turkish set action thriller about a brother and sister pairing after a massive white diamond and stuff.

I'm really not sure what the hell was going on here in this terrible, terrible movie. And yet it's really entertaining for all it's terribleness.

Hero Robert Ginty gave me the creeps with his weirdly massive hair and tache and seemingly incestuous relationship with his sister (Belinda Mayne) whilst Fred Williamson seemed to be acting in a different film altogether. As for Mayne, i don't think i'll ever watch her in the Doctor Who story Delta and the Bannermen with the same eyes again.

The whole film has an ineptness from first to last from the god awful title song to an on screen caption that called Istanbul Istambul - And this is from a part Turkish co-production. I re-watched this part with the commentary from the equally terrible Kat Ellinger who failed to spot the mistake even though you can't miss it, as she was too caught up with her own irritating drivel.

A genuine what the f*ck? film that has to be seen to be believed.
This Film is so bonkers, it was part of one of Arrows better release schedules for a while
Old 30th December 2022, 08:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post

Longwinded bloated overblown guff. Felt like I was watching relaxing aquarium videos on YouTube. Given the whole concept of the planet Pandora is meant to be this living breathing organic world where everything lives in harmony the film looked fake as fake can be like a video game. Messy misfire from the normally reliable James Cameron. For the record I love the first one.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Yeah the FX looked so weird in places
Old 30th December 2022, 10:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Yeah the FX looked so weird in places
Yeah. And for a 3½hr film I'm struggling to really remember much. There's maybe 40 minutes of plot there.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 31st December 2022, 06:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tactical Force. 2011.

Steve Austin leads his S.W.A.T team including Michael Jai White who are forced back to training and get caught up in a gang war. If your looking for a major blockbuster that will blow your mind move on from this. If you want a low budget, some over the top acting with some laughs with a good fight scene between Darren Shahlavi and Michael Jai White give this one a look.

MV5BMTM5NjAzOTI0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjAyNzAwNw@@._V1_.jpg
Old 31st December 2022, 08:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Seasoning House. 2012.

A young deaf mute girl sold to a Balkin brothel funds the courage to fight back after a girl she befriended is killed during intercourse with a soldier.

The majority of the film is set in a bleak run down and near infested house, this is exploitation done in a way that shows how young girls kidnapped, sold on to be used and the owner telling his assistant to prepare the girls ie, wash, clean and dope them up for the next customer.

The acting is decent, Rosie Day plays the young deaf mute caretaker who finds the courage to try and escape with a small car and mouse game with Sean Pertwee who brought the young girl to Kevin Howarth as the brutal sadistic brothel owner. This can be upsetting at times but the kills are brutal and well deserved, with a ending that can leave you wondering what will happen.

4645de84-18fc-4a19-a966-9f17d452c520.jpg
Old 31st December 2022, 10:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Halloween Ends.

Maybe...just maybe I can forgive Halloween Kills to be shit, yeah I watched it twice just to make sure I didn't miss any thing, but was this meant to be serious? Did the makers look at this and thought yeah it's not great but not terrible...let's go with this?

Right at the start the wee Focker got a nice bit of karma for being a spoiled little brat and we meet the guy who never got the chance for forgiveness and follow his tale of becoming a deranged lunatic without a mask. The kills took a bit of leading upto and were done decently but the plot itself was a waste.

images (3).jpeg

Like this? Share it using the links below!