Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179840Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2011, 02:09 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Tried watching Irreversible a few times but each time the camera work just give me a headache and i switch of and go for get some annadin, I cant watch it without feeling sea sick lol.
Yup, whilst this technique is certainly effective at producing a sense of disorientation it also seems to have the effect of causing a good number of potential viewers to bail out before the film has really got going (personally, I found it tested my patience more than my stomach). But considering the following bit of trivia (taken from IMDb) it seems that this was quite probably intentional:

"The first 30 minutes of the film has a background noise with a frequency of 28Hz (low frequency, almost inaudible), similar to the noise produced by an earthquake. In humans, it causes nausea, sickness and vertigo. It was the main cause of people walking out of the theaters during the first part of the film in places like Cannes and San Sebastian. In fact, it was added with the purpose of getting this reaction."

Needless to say, I'm actually somewhat glad I missed out on this in the cinema; it was intense enough on a home system!
Old 29th January 2011, 02:23 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Wasn't that the reason for the use of such extreme cinematography? To make you feel disorientated and sick. Along with the soundtrack that was also designed to make you feel ill and dizzy and the backwards structure of the film's simplistic narrative, Irreversible is one film that really does try to make the viewer queesy. It's brilliant! I guess it worked on you then, Nos

Recently I've been watching quite a few films, some Bigfoot. Saw Black Swan about a week ago and was blown away by its sheer beauty and power - highly recommened!

Also saw John Carpenter's 'comeback' The Ward Oh, boy. This was an utter mess! An unbelievably weak plot with a stupid as hell twist, ridiculous and ANNOYING characters and cram packed to the brim with cliches and stereotypes this is one film I highly recommend AVOIDING! Carpenter, I am disapoint. It's a lot worse that Romero's or Argento's latest films, which is saying a lot. It's not even so-bad-it's-gold. You know a film is terrible is when the only redeeming factor is the appearance of a female character who looks like she's been beaten with the miserable and stroppy stick.

As finally got around to A Serbian Film - the UK cut. I thought it was excellent. It's very well made and all that, blah blah blah, I was more interested in seeing why it's so shocking. Well, now I know. Although I wasn't disturbed by it, it definetly has many brilliantly twisted scenes in (although I did guess the 'twist' before the unmasking towards the end)

Also saw Bone Sickness on the Unearthed Films label. Seen it before. Lots and lots of lovely gore (and one very nasty scene involving worms), but there's nothing else worth watching it for imo. Just the gore. But that's enough! There's plenty of it!

Oh oh oh, nearly forgot, also watched the obscure little film Weasles Ripped My Flesh. This film is pure genius, I kid you not. Full of hillariously terrible moments you cant help but adore it. A total WTF ending to boot. Highly recommend this for fans of so-bad-its-good, cult, obscure, creature-features Plus the DVD comes with some of the directors early shorts which are equally amazing!
Old 29th January 2011, 02:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZagZombie View Post
Just looked for Chain Letter on IMDb. The premise does sound somewhat weak but would've hoped the presence of Brad Dourif and Keith David might have lifted things out of the gutter somewhat. (This the same film you're referring to I take it?)

Not seen I Stand Alone but heard very interesting things about it. Even more eager to check out Enter the Void aswell; always curious about anything that looks like it'll be that blatantly psychedelic.

Incidentally, haven't watched Irreversible for a few years now. Was thoroughly stunned by it; but on such a frankly visceral (and spiritual) level that I'm not in a rush to rewatch it anytime soon. To be honest, after a couple of viewings I think parts of it will be burnt into the retina of my mind's eye for life.
yes that chain letter

the first guys death is pretty cool but rest of it was rubbish!

to Nos

Noe likes to use extreme camera moves and tbh it works and disorientates thew viewer. Im not so sure I would like to see his movies without that as thats what sets him apart. I love irreversible and enter the void!

I think EVERYONE needs to see ETV as its a martime flick, either hate it or love it. If you like Irreversible u have more chance of liking ETV.

I cant wait to get me paws on the bluray next week when it arrives!
Sadly the UK distributor has screwed us and we will only get a DVD release all the way in April! So US blu was the way to go

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 29th January 2011, 03:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
Wasn't that the reason for the use of such extreme cinematography? To make you feel disorientated and sick. Along with the soundtrack that was also designed to make you feel ill and dizzy and the backwards structure of the film's simplistic narrative, Irreversible is one film that really does try to make the viewer queesy. It's brilliant! I guess it worked on you then, Nos
I found the camerawork to be utterly brilliant and ideal for the subject matter as it was disorientating although I didn't make me feel nauseous or queasy. Surprisingly, it's a film that I've only seen once but I must dig out the DVD and give it another viewing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post

to Nos

Noe likes to use extreme camera moves and tbh it works and disorientates thew viewer. Im not so sure I would like to see his movies without that as thats what sets him apart. I love irreversible and enter the void!
I haven't seen Enter the Void but it is a film that I've wanted to see for a long time but just need the right excuse to buy it!
Old 29th January 2011, 03:42 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Oh oh oh, nearly forgot, also watched the obscure little film Weasles Ripped My Flesh. This film is pure genius, I kid you not. Full of hillariously terrible moments you cant help but adore it. A total WTF ending to boot. Highly recommend this for fans of so-bad-its-good, cult, obscure, creature-features Plus the DVD comes with some of the directors early shorts which are equally amazing!
Lol, this is a new one to me. Tempted to check it out for all of the reasons you mention above plus the fact that it has a very similar title to a Frank Zappa album.

Speaking of so-bad-its-good movies, got round to watching Troll 2 last night. To paraphrase one reviewer, it is surely one of the greatest unintentional (actually I do wonder about that part) comedies of all time. And to be fair to the makers I thought one or two parts were actually a little bit creepy (the green slime aside of course).

Favourite lines?

Joshua: They're eating my mom!
Troll: Do you want some, Joshua?
Joshua: AHHHHH!

and of course, the infamous:

Arnold: They're eating her... and then they're going to eat me... OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!
Old 29th January 2011, 03:46 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
If you enjoyed Weasels Kyle, you should definitely check out the director's other 'work', which also acheives so bad it's hilarious status: Long Island Cannibal Massacre and They Don't Cut the Grass Here Anymore.
Old 29th January 2011, 03:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
If you enjoyed Weasels Kyle, you should definitely check out the director's other 'work', which also acheives so bad it's hilarious status: Long Island Cannibal Massacre and They Don't Cut the Grass Here Anymore.
Goodness Biz and K, I had completely forgotten about these 3 films! To be fair I watched LICM years ago and it put me off of the rest!! I may look for Weasles, as you make it sound fun in a stupidly bad kinda way. I am (a little) older now, so I may actually see them for what they are this time.
Old 29th January 2011, 03:51 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Sadly the UK distributor has screwed us and we will only get a DVD release all the way in April! So US blu was the way to go
Damn, looks like it's region A locked (unless I'm mistaken). Might be time to start thinking about a multi region blu player, especially with the likes of Criterion not making their discs region free (anyone know what that's all about btw?).
Old 29th January 2011, 03:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Just watched

The Hole

On BD. Well Dante is back on form with this one .. kinda. I was surprised though just how FX lite it is for this kinda genre. Made a refreshing change really to be not see what actually is scaring the kids and to make your own imagination work overtime. The ending was poor though and it had plot holes galore! I mean, why did the copper have a hole in the back of his head? And why didn't they just put more padlocks on when the originals were lost? I suppose if they had done that, the film would have been over in 20 minutes!

Good use of the rear speakers too.
Old 29th January 2011, 03:59 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
They sound fantastic and, as a lover of 'so bad they're good' movies, I can see myself buying these at some point in the near future. I think we should mention to every new member the drastic effects that this forum can have on your bank account!

Like this? Share it using the links below!