Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179726Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2011, 09:43 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I've just finished watching A Blade in the Dark by Lamberto Bava.

Well, did I like it? The answer would be: to some extent.

I liked the gory killings, I liked the nasty score and I loved the whole first murder scene of Katia - with the chase in the beginning and the "disposal" afterwards. Some really creepy camera angles! The pre-credit scene is also top-notch.

However, I disliked the main actor. In my eyes, the word "dull" is an euphemism for Andrea Occhipinti's acting qualities (I have to rewatch The New York Ripper to find out if he's always like that) - he's a living sleeping pill in this flick. I also disliked the pace of the movie. There's nothing to say against a mixture of scary scenes and fillers in between - but in this movie, for much too long nothing happens at all. I'd say that you could easily cut out about 20 minutes without negative effects on the movie.

As to Bruno's girlfriend: she's kinda cute, but a real nag. I would have supported any action in the style of . So you can imagine my face during her "final" scene.

Altogether, it's a movie that you can watch - it's no waste of money, it has its qualities. Let's put it this way: I was not amazed, but I was satisfied.

Greetings!
Old 14th June 2011, 09:46 PM
Cultist in Training

I agree with that review mate, it's def good and worth having but it's a middle of the road example, something missing that stops it being a classic slasher/giallo
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 14th June 2011, 10:00 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The Nicholas Cage "Bad Lieutenant". Most enjoyable once you forget the original film. Sort of reminded me of James Ellroy's early novels being humped by Hunter S. Thompson.
Old 14th June 2011, 10:48 PM
Cultist

So far this week I've watched "Cube 2" which was ok but nowhere near as good as the first movie, a second viewing of "Zombieland" which I enjoyed a lot more than the first time I watched it, "The living dead at Manchester morgue" ('nuff said) and best of all, "Meatball Machine". Crazy Japanese cyberpunk. Loved every minute. About to watch "The story of Ricky".
Old 15th June 2011, 01:17 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Stake Land - excellent

Jonah Hex - terrible
Old 15th June 2011, 11:32 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Stake Land - excellent
I really wanna see this but for some reason it's not being shown in any cinema near me :'(

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 15th June 2011, 11:36 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
I really wanna see this but for some reason it's not being shown in any cinema near me :'(
I saw this at Dead By Dawn, brilliant film!
Old 15th June 2011, 12:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

also watched Hanna, i dont normally go for action thrillers but this was good enough....some odd castings, and an air of "graphic novel-ness" but had me going til the end, so recommended...

and i watched Rubber again. wheeee. ahem.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
I've just finished watching A Blade in the Dark by Lamberto Bava.

Well, did I like it? The answer would be: to some extent.

I liked the gory killings, I liked the nasty score and I loved the whole first murder scene of Katia - with the chase in the beginning and the "disposal" afterwards. Some really creepy camera angles! The pre-credit scene is also top-notch.

However, I disliked the main actor. In my eyes, the word "dull" is an euphemism for Andrea Occhipinti's acting qualities (I have to rewatch The New York Ripper to find out if he's always like that) - he's a living sleeping pill in this flick. I also disliked the pace of the movie. There's nothing to say against a mixture of scary scenes and fillers in between - but in this movie, for much too long nothing happens at all. I'd say that you could easily cut out about 20 minutes without negative effects on the movie.

As to Bruno's girlfriend: she's kinda cute, but a real nag. I would have supported any action in the style of . So you can imagine my face during her "final" scene.

Altogether, it's a movie that you can watch - it's no waste of money, it has its qualities. Let's put it this way: I was not amazed, but I was satisfied.

Greetings!
That's a fair summation of A Blade in the Dark I think. The reason it seems to drag is that it was oiginally intended as a four part mini-series with a death at the end of each half-hour episode. You could easily shave off about half an hour from it to up the pacing I think.
Old 15th June 2011, 06:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Turkish horror double bill!

The Dead Don't Talk
Various people enter a mansion haunted by a ( constantly ) laughing ghost who wears a floppy hat and big overcoat. It's hard to know where to start with this one, but it's a bit like watching a film that's showing its reels in the wrong order. Or something. Hilariously bad.

Thirsty For Love Sex And Murder
Turkish Giallo which is basically a remake/ rip-off of The Strange Vice Of Mrs Wardh, only with a bit less nudity and a few more moustaches. Not bad.

Like this? Share it using the links below!