Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179737Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2012, 09:16 PM
Active Cultist

Another triumph for blu ray - Manhunter. Last time I saw this I thought it was a garish 80s relic - not any more, picture is superb, even the dodgy fashions seem acceptable in HD. As for the movie - one of the best procedurals of all time, the scene where Graham twigs about the cine film still sends prickles up my spine. And the tiger scene. And the flaming wheelchair. And Iron Butterfly at the end. Tom Noonan and William Peterson - perfect and not forgetting Brian Cox as Lecktor. To sum up - what a movie! buy this blu!
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 22nd January 2012, 09:40 PM
Cult Rookie

im watching 127 hours now. not to sure what to make of it.
Old 22nd January 2012, 10:05 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Kiss of the Dragon. An excellent flick. The action is top-notch, the movie's pretty fast-paced, and Arbogast's cinematography is outstanding. Who needs all this 3D crap - simply learn how to handle a camera, boys, and take some lessons from this gifted Frenchman!
As for the cast: Jet Li's performance is cool as usual, Bridget Fonda is a stunner (although she's playing a hooker on drugs), and Tchéky Karyo (one of my favourite actors!) plays an excellent villain.
Look out for Burt 'Cato' Kwouk in a small, but likeable role.

Highly recommended.

Greetings!
pedromonkey likes this.
Old 22nd January 2012, 10:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyther View Post
Watched The Boogeyman last night. Solid and suspenseful. Definitely enjoyed this ex-video nasty!
An all time fave of mine for sure. For all its generic aspects and obvious steals I've always found it to possess an oddness that defies easy capture, although many others disagree - reckon it gets tarred with the 'hackneyed tripe' brush far too easily.
Old 22nd January 2012, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Kiss of the Dragon. An excellent flick. The action is top-notch, the movie's pretty fast-paced, and Arbogast's cinematography is outstanding. Who needs all this 3D crap - simply learn how to handle a camera, boys, and take some lessons from this gifted Frenchman!
As for the cast: Jet Li's performance is cool as usual, Bridget Fonda is a stunner (although she's playing a hooker on drugs), and Tchéky Karyo (one of my favourite actors!) plays an excellent villain.
Look out for Burt 'Cato' Kwouk in a small, but likeable role.

Highly recommended.

Greetings!
Snap.

Never a star but always adds gravitas to any film.
Old 22nd January 2012, 11:08 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just finished watching Hatchet 2 and after really enjoying the first film can honestly say it's shit. While the gore towards the end is good, the first 60 minutes is basically Danielle Harris crying followed by some more crying, then some gore. It also looked cheap and after Adam Green's Frozen which had some great cinematography i would have expected better. People talk up Digital and while it can come in handy, Film is how this type of movie should be shot on.
Old 22nd January 2012, 11:32 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Gojira/Godzilla (1954)

A superb film. Gets better every time I see it. And I see it a lot. Powerful and downbeat. This is exceptional emotional film-making.
Demoncrat and sawyer6 like this.
Old 23rd January 2012, 09:55 AM
Cult Addict

Watched my way through everything on my blue velvet blu-ray. The deleted scenes are amazin and definately add more background to the movie. Primarily Jeffrey's dysfunctional relationship with his mother. The level of detail and general picture quality is astounding, I noticed a lot of things in the movie i'd never picked up on before, like the fact jeffrey wears an earring! overall the blu is a must buy!

Then I watched caliber 9 the first of the films on the di leo crime set. Cracking good crime movie with plenty of twists and double crosses. Well worth watching. Great PQ as well!
nekromantik likes this.
Old 23rd January 2012, 01:23 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Watched The Resident last night as wanted something not too taxing. Was ok for what it was, been done before and fairly predictable but enjoyable enough. I wanted more out of the ending though, it just sort of finished.

Christopher Lee's character was clearly something of an afterthought though - total waste of time.
Old 23rd January 2012, 02:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

since im a semi invalid at the moment, ive been watching a few things...

The Oblong Box (Optimum UK) great to see again (last time was when twas on itv im sure...) far more bloody than I remember, can easily see why it's a 15...one for the list yadda yadda...

Double Dare (2004) documentary about stuntwomen focusing on Zoe Bell and Jeannie Epper...good enough though could have been longer i felt...

Kill Theory. one of those "with friends like these, who needs enemies?" type films, apart from a rather brutal spade murder, twas rote AND by-the-numbers...pass.

tried to watch VATLD again....thank feck for tramadols i say enjoyed it more...which doesnt really help i suppose.....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!