Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179958Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2012, 09:03 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Obsession........I had the plot of this film sussed from very early on. But that didn't take away from my enjoyment.
Old 17th April 2012, 09:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
My tutor at college filled my 4gb usb stick with some films from his hard drive today. He's given me the August Underground Trilogy that he bought while in the US and the Ilsa Trilogy too. I'm gonna try and see how much of the AU films I can stomach, not usually my thing but I'm intrigued to know what all the fuss is about (he's already given me A Serbian Film, Murder Set Pieces and Grotesque, all of which weren't as bad as I expected)
He's grooming you Rik, never accept an invitation to his house

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th April 2012, 09:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

For all the fun loving types on here, i recommend Where The Dead Go To Die (Jimmy Claus, 2012).

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS
so don't say i didn't warn you haha

Or rather i'l expound on one of my pet hates, in that just because i sit through Srpski, Snuff 102, Ferox and the like, mates think i'l watch anything that's "disgusting" (well, they had to restrain me so i'd sit through Top Gun, not a lie, they held me rigid)
This is another example of this. A rather unique piece of animation, it tells the tale of a boy and his dog, but Lassie it isn't.
Even though it has some interesting visual tricks, i felt that the overload of "unpleasant" imagery (imagine if Lynch had done Silent Hill, whilst on 15 acid tabs yadda yadda) was merely boring after a while, and as the story meanders in parts, it doesn't really keep you interested. Mate kept saying "would this get passed by the BBFC??" as well, when it was obvious to me that it would be cut to shreds as there is a heap of child abuse in it.
the director certainly has some visual flair i'd say, but i felt like i'd been raped by a bag of dolly mixtures by the end.

highly recommended:lau gh:

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th April 2012, 04:01 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Exterminator - really good vigilante revenge film let down by absolutely abysmal editing. The way some of the scene breaks happened made it feel like it had been recorded off the telly with the adverts edited out by way of a VHS 'pause-REC' button. The bit where The Exterminator ties up one of the Ghetto Ghouls and interrogates him with the flamethrower came out of nowhere and I expected it to be some sort of dream sequence. Very odd editing.

Still enjoyed it overall though.
Old 17th April 2012, 07:57 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Watched Deadful Melody (1994) again...
Probably one of my favourite Brigitte Lin Wuxia films and Yuen Biao is very good in this one as well,in fact I like all the actor's performances.
Lots of eye candy and a fantastic soundtrack are definitely bonuses.

Just wish someone would put out a good remastered dvd...

Old 17th April 2012, 08:03 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
For all the fun loving types on here, i recommend Where The Dead Go To Die (Jimmy Claus, 2012).

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS
so don't say i didn't warn you haha

Or rather i'l expound on one of my pet hates, in that just because i sit through Srpski, Snuff 102, Ferox and the like, mates think i'l watch anything that's "disgusting" (well, they had to restrain me so i'd sit through Top Gun, not a lie, they held me rigid)
This is another example of this. A rather unique piece of animation, it tells the tale of a boy and his dog, but Lassie it isn't.
Even though it has some interesting visual tricks, i felt that the overload of "unpleasant" imagery (imagine if Lynch had done Silent Hill, whilst on 15 acid tabs yadda yadda) was merely boring after a while, and as the story meanders in parts, it doesn't really keep you interested. Mate kept saying "would this get passed by the BBFC??" as well, when it was obvious to me that it would be cut to shreds as there is a heap of child abuse in it.
the director certainly has some visual flair i'd say, but i felt like i'd been raped by a bag of dolly mixtures by the end.

highly recommended:lau gh:
I love dolly mixtures.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 17th April 2012, 08:43 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
The Exterminator - really good vigilante revenge film let down by absolutely abysmal editing. The way some of the scene breaks happened made it feel like it had been recorded off the telly with the adverts edited out by way of a VHS 'pause-REC' button. The bit where The Exterminator ties up one of the Ghetto Ghouls and interrogates him with the flamethrower came out of nowhere and I expected it to be some sort of dream sequence. Very odd editing.

Still enjoyed it overall though.
One of the all time exploitation greats.
A classic!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 17th April 2012, 10:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Demons - I just got home from seeing the Lamberto Bava fave on the big screen. A top experience.

What seeing it in this way brought home was just how well made it is - especially the camerawork and editing - and just how good the special effects are, especially considering when it was made. I also realised for the first time (despite having seen it more times than I can recall) just how much of it is played for laughs. So much that I think it could qualify as a "comedy horror".

The print is a nice one, but - yet again - why are films remastered for HD so often so pale? Are modern telecine engineers terrified of vibrancy and saturation? Demons now looks very cold, and whilst this renders extremely natural looking skin colour and texture, it does not suit the film. All those wonderful garish colours we are used to from the days of VHS and DVD are muted and a bit flat. It was my only issue with the new master, but I think it's a pretty big issue.

I'd be interested in seeing an actual film print from the time to compare. I can dream!

In the same screen last night I saw a double bill of An American Werewolf In London and The Thing, which were also wonderful to see up on the big canvas.
Old 17th April 2012, 10:42 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Demons - I just got home from seeing the Lamberto Bava fave on the big screen. A top experience.

What seeing it in this way brought home was just how well made it is - especially the camerawork and editing - and just how good the special effects are, especially considering when it was made. I also realised for the first time (despite having seen it more times than I can recall) just how much of it is played for laughs. So much that I think it could qualify as a "comedy horror".

The print is a nice one, but - yet again - why are films remastered for HD so often so pale? Are modern telecine engineers terrified of vibrancy and saturation? Demons now looks very cold, and whilst this renders extremely natural looking skin colour and texture, it does not suit the film. All those wonderful garish colours we are used to from the days of VHS and DVD are muted and a bit flat. It was my only issue with the new master, but I think it's a pretty big issue.

I'd be interested in seeing an actual film print from the time to compare. I can dream!

In the same screen last night I saw a double bill of An American Werewolf In London and The Thing, which were also wonderful to see up on the big canvas.
Wow! What a night you had. Especially considering AWIL and The Thing are 2 of my favourite horrors ever. Wish I could have been there

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 17th April 2012, 11:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

SUMMER OF MASSACRE - Claims to be some kind of record holder for most kills featured in a movie. Yes, this five part portmanteau job splahes a lot of blood, and it's almost all done in screamingly bad CGI. As a result, it's been slated by many, and if you were in it for a realistic old school slasherthon amped up a few notches, you would probably be disappointed HOWEVER Summer of Massacre is without doubt the most demented piece of wretched slime I have seen in quite a while and succeeds on a batshit level alone, reminding me of a less sleazy 'Hanger' in some places, whereas at other points it all seems a bit like a carnage spewing video game. Which is pretty good from where I'm standing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!